Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who miss the old RAV4, check out the link below to the Toyota Rush which looks to be the size of the old RAV4 especially the 3 door version.

It looks like by upsizing the 2006 RAV4, Toyota has room for another smaller 4WD - the Rush.

Don't know whether the car will be sold outside of Japan...

http://toyota.jp/rush/concept/concept/index.html

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, maybe it will come to be elsewhere. The new RAV4.3 has grown to near Highlander size in America; the Highlander will now get bigger with the next revision; the larger off-road capable 4Runner is not selling well in it's current form and it may be dropped (just my personal speculation); the serious off-road capable FJ Cruiser may take the 4Runners place.

The 4Runner had been Toyota's bread and butter mass-produced SUV but, the car-based Highlander has taken that place. Most people don't need or use the 4Runners serious off-road abilities. Still, a few people want that. Thus, the FJC can meet that niche.

The original 4.1 RAV was not going to be sold in America. Yet, dealers begged for it and got it. Maybe that will happen again with the Rush. We need another little gas-miser / cute-ute to sell beside the Yaris. Or maybe it will be the Scion brand here. Anyway, I’m all for it. Somebody will buy it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
RAV4HER said:
Most people don't need or use the 4Runners serious off-road abilities. Still, a few people want that. Thus, the FJC can meet that niche.
I agree with most of what you said but this quote. Have you looked around to see all the Jeeps especially the Libertys. I think it's more than a few.

I was choosing between the Runner and RAV. The Runner is 10k more so I went with the RAV.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, people want and buy those. But, they don't need them.

Only 3 of us in my office drive car-based SUV's. Yet, 1/3 of the people (mostly women) in my office drive "truck-based" SUV's or Jeeps with good off-road credentials. And, they never take them off road!!!

That's American freedom. You can super-size your fries and order a diet coke at the same time. Or buy a "trail-rated" SUV and stay on the dry (and snow-free) pavement 99.9% of the time.

You'll notice that the conservationists, the government, and the manufacturers are trying to get us to change our stout SUV habits by offering more and more crossover SUV's. We'll see.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On second thought, I won’t signal the death knell of the large SUV (significantly underutilized vehicle) ...for I just remembered: the new Tundra is coming out in 2007 with a larger V8 option and a bigger body.

The literature always said, “the Tundra bed is not as deep as the competition and the V8 motor was not as big as the others”. Yet, the current version is ALL the typical homeowner / sportsman really needs. Oh, but feelings of inadequacy are played upon and the next thing you know, your new upsized vehicle comes with a complimentary supply of Enzyte in the glove box.

Check out my photo album and you’ll see the current Tundra is no small truck. It is ALL most anybody needs. Yet, the supersize it mentality is still going strong out there. At least the RAV4 & Highlander owners are ahead of the curve on where we need to go as consumers.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many people buy the heavier SUVs (like 4runner) for towing capability. I have the V-8 4Runner and may never go offroad but a Highlander or RAV4 wouldn't fit the bill for my towing needs.
However, I may get a RAV for the wife - she likes that the V-6 will outrun my 'runner!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
croasdale said:
Many people buy the heavier SUVs (like 4runner) for towing capability. I have the V-8 4Runner and may never go offroad but a Highlander or RAV4 wouldn't fit the bill for my towing needs.
However, I may get a RAV for the wife - she likes that the V-6 will outrun my 'runner!
There is nothing like a body on frame vehicle that gives you that rugged and durable feel. I have owned both unibody and body on frame SUVs and yes there is a difference.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Janos said:
RAV4HER said:
Most people don't need or use the 4Runners serious off-road abilities. Still, a few people want that. Thus, the FJC can meet that niche.
I agree with most of what you said but this quote. Have you looked around to see all the Jeeps especially the Libertys. I think it's more than a few.

I was choosing between the Runner and RAV. The Runner is 10k more so I went with the RAV.
I was going to buy Liberty initially. I had to settle for RAV4 because I could not fit into Liberty well. And 4Runner is too expensive.

However, FJC would not do it for me, I suspect. I looked at Wrangler and it was far too small to be practical. That thing has no cargo space at all, and all jeepers I know tow trailers with camping gear, spares, fuel, etc.

I have to say, every time I go over a rock I stress out because RAV4's underside does not inspire a lot of confidence. Liberty has a factory option for skid plates and a lot of good aftermarket equiplment. But so far I haven't even got a scratch (not counting gravel hits).

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course you need your 4Runner to tow. And, thank goodness our government doesn't outlaw them or tax them to death to discourage that behavior.

I was just saying (figuratively) it seems for every 1 million people who tow a boat etc... there are 10 million who do not.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And to Zaitcev in Tracey, CA

I can't speak for the needs in your neck of the woods. I'm just saying around here (Mid-Atlantic East Coast) - the multitude of professional working women/mommies seem to choose off-road SUV's for pavement duties only.

I don't care that they do. But, I can't see around them in traffic and I liked being aware of road conditions ahead when I had my Tundra. Therefore, I may be forced to buy a monster vehicle again and add to the pollution / consumption problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lots of ppl in forums here complained about lack of power in 4.2 2.0l engine with 150hp. How would you feel about 105hp engine in 4.2?
Thats what this is.

Toyota knows well what americans want - and this is why 4.3 more than doubled the sales...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
This could definitely be sold here -- looks like it could take on the new Suzuki SX4 mini-crossover that will be sold here later this year.

For the Rush, a larger engine would be needed (standard is 1.5L, 107 hp) -- but the rest of it sounds pretty good. Full-time AWD with VSC, HAC and DAC, and available in a five-speed with AWD. I'd buy one as a replacement for my 2000.

These are built by Daihatsu and also sold as the Daihatsu Be-go.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Americans also wanted new styling and that's why they "rediscovered" the RAV4.3 referenced in your sales figures. Also, the fact that it is a little bigger helps; the 2.4 liter motor is now adequate and the price of gas hasn't hurt the popularity either.

But, back to the original discovery for this post: I think Scion could use the Rush in the American line-up. Also, there are more places than America in the world - which our international RAV4World buddies like to point out from time to time. Many of them where disgusted that the 4.3 was growing to American supersize status. We think that's a funny perspective of course with all the land yachts and barges on our roads. Anyway, best of luck getting the Rush marketed around the world to those who want it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
kc456 said:
What is the strange looking handle/mirror on the front left?
I think it's a third mirror. The Japanese RAV4.3 has a similar appendage. It must be some sort of a safety regulation in Japan.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
They just need to start turbo charging or supercharging their V6's for street use.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zaitcev said:
kc456 said:
What is the strange looking handle/mirror on the front left?
I think it's a third mirror. The Japanese RAV4.3 has a similar appendage. It must be some sort of a safety regulation in Japan.
Correct

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Toyota Rush is soon to be available in the UK ( May06). It is badged as a Diahatsu Terrios and has a 1.5cc petrol engine, a diesel version is due out later in 06.
Clare

1 - 18 of 18 Posts