Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

361 - 380 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got mine from this seller a week ago and tried on my 2012 RAV4 with V12.20.024 Techstream, but I cannot find ECU reprogramming or Utility tab. I suspect this seller sells the cheaper knock-off that don't give you complete protocols? I read here that these MVCI with firmware V1.4 cannot reprogram ECU, and you need V2.0.1+. Is that true or am I just using the wrong version of Techstream?

I also experience a lot of problem when I try to pull Live data. The data would update only for a couple seconds and then freeze. I would then get this error pop-up, and I have to "abort" attempt and restart Techstream. Trying to pull live data only recreates this problem.:frown

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update to my previous post:

I tried reinstalling Techstream and Drivers, but same result. Followed this website's instruction
I am running Windows 7 32bit in a VMware virtual machine on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop.
Active tests work. It's just missing "ECU Reprogramming" and "Customization", and getting fatal errors when I try to read live data from powertrain ECU.

I tried "DLC3 Cable Test" in the "Help" tab, and it showed K-line and L-line are red / "NG". Does this mean I got a defective cable? Or is this expected from knock-off MVCIs with firmware V1.4.1?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Update to my previous post:

I tried reinstalling Techstream and Drivers, but same result. Followed this website's instruction
I am running Windows 7 32bit in a VMware virtual machine on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop.
Active tests work. It's just missing "ECU Reprogramming" and "Customization", and getting fatal errors when I try to read live data from powertrain ECU.

I tried "DLC3 Cable Test" in the "Help" tab, and it showed K-line and L-line are red / "NG". Does this mean I got a defective cable? Or is this expected from knock-off MVCIs with firmware V1.4.1?
The mvci cable doesn't have ALL the features of Techstream Dealer installed version. I could be wrong but I don't think you can program the ECU. I have only used it to Program immobilizer keys and change TMPS sensors. Some people have had problems with the v12. You could try an earlier version to see if its any different.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Correct.
Attempting to upgrade the cable may result in "bricking" the cable.
Attempting to upgrade the ECU may result in "bricking" the ECU.

These are cheap knockoff cables (the real ones are a couple hundred bucks) and comm is not stable enough to attempt an ECU update.

The versions of Techstream installed are cracked and MUST NOT be allowed to "phone home" to TIS.

These procedures and parts are for the convenience of making basic system setting changes, making duplicate keys, and registering new TPMS sensors only.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand the part about not able to reprogram ECU.

My problem is, I don't even get the functions to reprogram my Smart Key and TPMS etc! There isn't a "Customization" or "Utility" tab on my Techstream V12. Can you guys confirm that you are also using a "knock-off" MVCI with firmware v1.4.1, and when you run "DLC3 cable test", you don't get "NG" on the K- and L- communication terminals?

I will give Techstream V10 a try this weekend.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I understand the part about not able to reprogram ECU.

My problem is, I don't even get the functions to reprogram my Smart Key and TPMS etc! There isn't a "Customization" or "Utility" tab on my Techstream V12. Can you guys confirm that you are also using a "knock-off" MVCI with firmware v1.4.1, and when you run "DLC3 cable test", you don't get "NG" on the K- and L- communication terminals?

I will give Techstream V10 a try this weekend.
Sounds like you might have a problem an other person had adding a key . Fixed it with using another version

Go here and read this post 170

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream-6.html#post2400825

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you might have a problem an other person had adding a key . Fixed it with using another version

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream-6.html#post2400825

Rav4 Smart Key Programming - YouTube
So using Techstream V8.00.034 addressed most of my issues. I now have access to ECU reprogramming and Customization. The download links are here.

DLC3 cable test still shows K- and L-terminals "NG", but I guess that is normal? Or maybe that is why I cannot read Engine Live data? Whenever I tried to read Engine Live Data, it only reads for a few seconds and then freezes up (values not updating).

Anyways, this is good enough for now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Rav4 Smart Key Programming - YouTube
So using Techstream V8.00.034 addressed most of my issues. I now have access to ECU reprogramming and Customization. The download links are here.

DLC3 cable test still shows K- and L-terminals "NG", but I guess that is normal? Or maybe that is why I cannot read Engine Live data? Whenever I tried to read Engine Live Data, it only reads for a few seconds and then freezes up (values not updating).

Anyways, this is good enough for now. Thanks guys!
Maybe Try v10 .. Can you post screen shots of your problems. Maybe someone else might have an answer for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought Toyota Techstream and MVCI cable on ebay
2012 Newest V7 11 010 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay
for $28.99. This is the same software and a similar interface that the dealerships are using to diagnose, upgrade, reset, etc our Rav4s.

I can confirm this system works! I turned off my daytime running lights and removed the seat belt reminder. I also Reset my transmission adapted memory after a transmission rebuilt, watched live streaming data, such as transmission temperature. Wow, where has this been since 2007 when I got my Rav4.

This is making big waves on all the Toyota forums, such as TundraTalk and others Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

So, I guess we need to have an official thread here on Rav4World.com! What are your experiences with Techstream and the MiniVCI cable?

Just one thing about this system, it will appear to work, but will not work on a 64 bit operating system. You NEED a 32 bit operating system. Many people are using a virtual machine for this.

How is the Zero Day Trojan Horse you installed?:smile

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
How is the Zero Day Trojan Horse you installed?:smile
Yeah, between that and the WS transmission fluid, I'm doomed. :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Various people have mentioned running TechStream inside a virtual machine. Wouldn't it be easier to simply run it in compatibility mode for Win 7 32 bit? Or XP? Or doesn't that work for some reason?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Various people have mentioned running TechStream inside a virtual machine. Wouldn't it be easier to simply run it in compatibility mode for Win 7 32 bit? Or XP? Or doesn't that work for some reason?
The drivers (for the usb mini cable) was written for a 32 bit operating system. You can run it on XP, or Win7 (or any 32 bit o/s) with 32 bit O/S. It should take you 15 minutes and your done installing the program. The drivers installs automatically without hassle. Trying to run Techstream on a 64 bit O/S and running VM you can spend a week researching and doing all sorts of funky stuff and still may not get it to work. Point is it is complicated.

In the end you just lost a week worth of time forcing the drivers written for 32 bit O/S to work on a 64 bit O/S.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The drivers (for the usb mini cable) was written for a 32 bit operating system. You can run it on XP, or Win7 (or any 32 bit o/s) with 32 bit O/S. It should take you 15 minutes and your done installing the program. The drivers installs automatically without hassle. Trying to run Techstream on a 64 bit O/S and running VM you can spend a week researching and doing all sorts of funky stuff and still may not get it to work. Point is it is complicated.

In the end you just lost a week worth of time forcing the drivers written for 32 bit O/S to work on a 64 bit O/S.
:confused::confused:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/122-toyota/187730-techstream-mvci-64bit-windows-8-1-works.html

Worked like a champ on Win8.1 64 bit, and continues to work after upgrading the same machine to Win10.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The driver has to be installed different on a 64 bit machine. I got it going on windows 10 64bit.

You can download v12 here. It also has a file key to register.

Free Download and install Toyota Techstream 12.20.024 on Windows 7 | OBDII365.com Official Blog

instructions for 64bit
https://obd2016.wordpress.com/2017/0...s-7-pro-64bit/

mcvi 64 reg download if you dont already have it. You can add it to the first download folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mztf3wrqa...i5qy1xpoa?dl=0

you have to do the first 2 steps from text in first download then use instructions from 2 download (obd2016 wordpress) to install mvci driver

PS . Some people have had problems with v12 but had better luck using an earlier version of techstream.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yup.
The 64 bit instructions were cake.

Where I wasted the week was trying to get it to run on my older Dell running WinXP.
I ended up buying a new Asus Win 8.1 64bit... I justified the purchase to my wife by saying it was for Waze editing, but really it was for Techstream :D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yup.
The 64 bit instructions were cake.

Where I wasted the week was trying to get it to run on my older Dell running WinXP.
I ended up buying a new Asus Win 8.1 64bit... I justified the purchase to my wife by saying it was for Waze editing, but really it was for Techstream :D
So the newer Techstream works on a 64 bit O/S. My Techstream v8.10 worked on the Win 7 with 32 bit but not 64 bit.

361 - 380 of 409 Posts