Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

381 - 400 of 409 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
So the newer Techstream works on a 64 bit O/S. My Techstream v8.10 worked on the Win 7 with 32 bit but not 64 bit.
Check my link... that was from a couple of years ago, after my wife got her '15 Rav but before I got my '16 Corolla.
The installation worked fine with my '08 Tacoma, and I was able to program keys and read the TPMS for her Rav.

I haven't tried any of the recent versions as I have not had a need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using current versions, I found the following combination to work fairly easily:

1) MVCI Cable J25345 ($17 on eBay)
2) Windows 10 32bit - I ran it on a virtual machine on my Macbook
3) Techstream v12 - install it using instructions from the website, the disk eBay sellers include contains the same software you can find online

·
Registered
7 Posts
Using Techstream 12.30.017 with the cheap VCI Cable J25345 over here (Firmware 1.4.1) on a HP-Zbook with Windows 10-64bits prof.
Installed it using the 64bit for Windows 7/8 instructions previously mentioned and on blog.obdii365.com

You can actually check all stages of the installation without connecting to the car:
First make sure to follow the unpacking/copying instructions in the 64-bit installation instructions before plugging in the cable in the USB port. When installed correctly you should be able to run the firmware update tool to check the firmware. Just do NOT update, only use it to see if the cable is recognized and reports back its firmware version + "connected" status.
If this is OK then at least your interface should be installed correctly, showing a red LED in the process.

Then install Techstream and apply the registry fixes (either manually or by the downloadable registry mod file), also previously mentioned. You can also manually point the original Techstream interface entries in the registry (same location) to the same XHorse files just to be sure. These settings point Techstream to the correct location of the XHorse driver used for the MVCI Cable.
Also do not forget the TISFUNCTION=0 modification in the IT3System.ini file. If you get "unable to connect to MCI" when connecting to a vehicle most likely these registry settings are not fully correct.

When you now start Techstream with the TSloader make sure the correct interface is selectable (not grayed out) and selected, otherwise re-check the previous setting. Then just connect to vehicle (without actually being connected, just have the MVCI cable connected to the USB port) and you should get no errors but Techstream should eventually (after time out...) come up with a window where you can manually select your vehicle code etc etc.
When I then connected to my RAV4 it connected nicely and I could readout my TPMS sensor ID's which was my main objective. The interface is flashing green during communication with the vehicle.

So be assured: Techstream can work on a Windows-10 64bit Prof. laptop without the need of a virtual machine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thinking about getting techstream, but I'd like to know if anyone can confirm it will make the changes I'm looking for on my 2016 Rav4 hybrid

1.Lock doors with keyfob from outside car with engine running
2.Change the 3 signal light flash to 5 when you push the stock
3.Adjust when low fuel light comes on/Adjust fuel gauge to read more accurately

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
Thinking about getting techstream, but I'd like to know if anyone can confirm it will make the changes I'm looking for on my 2016 Rav4 hybrid

I don't think you can do #1 or #3 , but #2 can be changed to 4, 5, 6 or 7 flashes with Techstream, you'd be better served asking in the 4.4 forum, the 4.3 doesn't have the same customizable options.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
No
Likewise, can not lock the doors from outside if a key is inside of the cabin. These are safety anti-lockout features and not adjustable.
You can do this from the vehicle customization screen on the stock system. I set the Rav and Corolla to 7 flashes.
No

Honestly, the only thing that you can do with Techstream that you can't do with a bluetooth OBD dongle and the Carista app is read tire pressure and change your TPMS ses=nsor registration.

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
You can do this from the vehicle customization screen on the stock system. I set the Rav and Corolla to 7 flashes.

That's not true, the owner's manual states this is an option 3 which is a dealer only option, MID and Entune options are not available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No
Likewise, can not lock the doors from outside if a key is inside of the cabin. These are safety anti-lockout features and not adjustable.

No

Honestly, the only thing that you can do with Techstream that you can't do with a bluetooth OBD dongle and the Carista app is read tire pressure and change your TPMS ses=nsor registration.

Thats to bad, VCDS for VW's let me change pretty much everything, I was hoping techstream would be the same.

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
I'll have to double check, pretty sure it's available in my wife's '15 XLE.
I went with an aftermarket HU in my '16 Corolla.

I already double checked it, it's not available on my '16 HV Ltd, I used Techstream to set it to 7 flashes along with a few other custom settings like disabling the seat belt chimes and changing the PBD remote to one press instead of a long press or two presses. Given that a person already has a laptop, Techstream(~$20) is much less expensive than Carista(subscription required for custom settings on top of the $40 cost) and does a lot more for the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it will be very helpful if the seccesfuly programmers will mention what car model they have and what TS version they used.. apparantly every year model and version has differences.. my model is rav4 2008 and i tried versions 12 all of them.. everything works except the utility part. I also tried different location settings (not bring the utility on) there is also options after the car detection part.. like some numbers with 2WD or 4WD. i read here that maybe version 8.0 will work for me. I will update for all of the other europe rav's here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No LuckySixes, you cannot measure engine oil pressure with Techstream (or any other software tool)

The engine (at least the V6) has only a on/off type pressure switch (located near the oil drain plug) that it directly wired to the dash low oil pressure indicator light. To measure pressure, you need to remove the pressure switch and replace it with a pressure gauge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
anyone know if you can use the techstream software to change/reprogram the ECU to be able to use LED turn signals without a resistor? I've researched that the fords can do it on their equivalent of techstream.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
anyone know if you can use the techstream software to change/reprogram the ECU to be able to use LED turn signals without a resistor? I've researched that the fords can do it on their equivalent of techstream.
Not necessary on a 4.3. Simply replace your flasher relay with an electronic unit. Plug and play.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The driver has to be installed different on a 64 bit machine. I got it going on windows 10 64bit.

You can download v12 here. It also has a file key to register.

Free Download and install Toyota Techstream 12.20.024 on Windows 7 | OBDII365.com Official Blog

instructions for 64bit
https://obd2016.wordpress.com/2017/0...s-7-pro-64bit/

mcvi 64 reg download if you dont already have it. You can add it to the first download folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mztf3wrqa...i5qy1xpoa?dl=0

you have to do the first 2 steps from text in first download then use instructions from 2 download (obd2016 wordpress) to install mvci driver

PS . Some people have had problems with v12 but had better luck using an earlier version of techstream.
In my experience the process for installing Techstream on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine is much easier than this.

1. Download and install v12 from the first link
2. Replace mainmenu.exe
3. Download and install FTDI USB drivers here: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip
4. Merge the mcvi 64 reg tweak using regedit.

Cheers...Jim

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
unfortunately (at least in this situation) I have a 4.4, I wish it was as simple as a relay replacement.
Sorry, since this is the 4.3 General forum, I assumed...

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 4wheel drive Base Techstream help

I just got a used 2008 Rav4 4wheel drive Base
I am a little old lady in Tucson, AZ
I am looking for someone to help me change some settings on Techstream. If you are in Tucson, please message me. If not maybe you could just let me know if these things are even possible, where I could get them done or how to do it if I have to get my own setup.
I would like to enable the alarm system
I would like to shut off the beeps when I unlock it, but keep the beeps when I lock it
I would like to shut off the seatbelt alarm and dash light for the passenger seat (it thinks my work bag is a person)
I would like to disable when the cabin light comes on when I turn off the vehicle
I would like to enable an alarm if I leave the headlights on
I would like to disable the drivers window from auto going all the way up/down I want to control it like the other 3 (goes up/down just as much as the button is used)

Also, the car did not come with the key code. Is there somewhere in the settings that would be able to tell me the key code?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide.

381 - 400 of 409 Posts