·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article:
Toyota To Bring RAV4 Hybrid Sapphire Concept To Geneva

Photos:
Toyota RAV4 Sapphire Hybrid showcar at Geneva 2016

A document that briefly appeared on Toyota's official website before being taken down, reveals that their Geneva lineup will include a new concept car that will sit alongside the C-HR.

Called the RAV4 Hybrid Sapphire, the vehicle "foreshadows some future developments", as the manufacturer states, previewing some features that will be offered to customers shortly.

While no photos were released (what you see pictured here is the regular, North American RAV4 Hybrid), Toyota said that the study wears a unique blue finish, featuring body colored bumpers and side sills, with the latter gaining extra chrome trim, adorned with a RAV4 Hybrid Blue badge. Chrome is also found on the grille and roof rails. It will also have specifically designed 20-inch wheels giving the concept a "more assertive and premium look".

Inside, there will be leather upholstery on the seats with blue stitching, Hybrid Blue-finished air vents and Piano black inserts on the center console.

Powertrain details on the new RAV4 Hybrid Sapphire weren’t announced, but the production version combines a 2.5-liter Atkinson Cycle petrol engine with an electric motor and a 204 cell nickel-metal battery, located under the rear seats. The total output is 194 HP and it allows the crossover to reach 100 km/h (62 mph), from a standstill, in 8.7 seconds, while burning 4.9L / 100km (48 mpg) of fuel and emitting 115g/km CO2.

There are no official images with the show car yet, but it will debut in Switzerland in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I wonder whether it would be available in North America. Looks like it could be a rough rider with those low profile tires. Don't like chrome, or black interiors. Upholstery stitching looks nice. No doubt many will like this RAV.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Seems like there are a whole lot of different rav models already. The only thing new I'd be interested in is a turbo or a v6 rather than a dozen models with different aesthetics. It's getting ridiculous.
There's the 3 trims, the 50th anniversary, the hybrid, the Se, and now this. Gimme power!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Gimme power!
Don't hold your breath.

They can't make the current RAV4 fast enough at the current power levels. I believe in the USA they've even outsold the Honda CR-V for 4 months straight (early February, 2016 numbers appear to bear that out)

The last time they put real power in the RAV4, not enough people wanted it/were willing to pay the premium for it (though that was during the worst of the Great Recession).

If they could find a way to add real power without damaging primarily The Almighty MPG but also the price, then maybe we'll get it. They did add some marginal power with the Hybrid version for only a modest price increase, though, which is pretty impressive given the serious MPG gains. The modest price increase is what surprised me the most.

Still, I'm not holding my breath for any serious power increase. Maybe hydrogen or some other tech will change that someday. In the mean time, I only expect them to continue changing the fluff (colors, tech features, plastics/materials, etc.) which is the safest way to mess with a sales-winning combination. And one of the things Toyota is known for is playing it safe the significant majority of the time.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Don't hold your breath.

They can't make the current RAV4 fast enough at the current power levels. I believe in the USA they've even outsold the Honda CR-V for 4 months straight (early February, 2016 numbers appear to bear that out)

The last time they put real power in the RAV4, not enough people wanted it/were willing to pay the premium for it (though that was during the worst of the Great Recession).

If they could find a way to add real power without damaging primarily The Almighty MPG but also the price, then maybe we'll get it. They did add some marginal power with the Hybrid version for only a modest price increase, though, which is pretty impressive given the serious MPG gains. The modest price increase is what surprised me the most.

Still, I'm not holding my breath for any serious power increase. Maybe hydrogen or some other tech will change that someday. In the mean time, I only expect them to continue changing the fluff (colors, tech features, plastics/materials, etc.) which is the safest way to mess with a sales-winning combination. And one of the things Toyota is known for is playing it safe the significant majority of the time.

Totally agree with everything you said. I certainly don't expect them to add more power in any way but it would be nice. It's just getting kind of silly with all these different models already.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like the paint color, but I've always been a fan of blue.

The articles state that "the leather seats are already available as an optional extra"... What region has real leather as an option for the hybrid? Certainly not in the US.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks nice. 2017?

I guess not enough people are buying the Lexus NX 300h. I looked at it and balked. Nice car but I don't want to spend 50% more to get the same engine and less cargo space.

EDIT:

So maybe SofTex again? Not real leather? If so, I guess that's still one advantage the Lexus has. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
So maybe SofTex again? Not real leather? If so, I guess that's still one advantage the Lexus has. ;)
From the first post above:

Inside, there will be leather upholstery on the seats with blue stitching, Hybrid Blue-finished air vents and Piano black inserts on the center console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks nice. 2017?

I guess not enough people are buying the Lexus NX 300h. I looked at it and balked. Nice car but I don't want to spend 50% more to get the same engine and less cargo space.

EDIT:

buyers may be stepping up from the regular RAV4 to the Lexus NX turbo for the obvious extra power. You are right; the RAV4 hybrid is very nice and not worth the premium carried by the Lexus hybrid.

·
Registered
270 Posts
From the first post above:

Yeah, but the article also states that leather is already available on existing models, which is not correct. So I'm thinking they may have confused SofTex for "leather".

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yeah, but the article also states that leather is already available on existing models, which is not correct. So I'm thinking they may have confused SofTex for "leather".

However, the article is European and Euro-spec RAVs often are different from North American ones, often being more upmarket. For example, a mid-level RAV is described as having a suede interior with leather-like bolsters.

·
Registered
270 Posts
However, the article is European and Euro-spec RAVs often are different from North American ones, often being more upmarket. For example, a mid-level RAV is described as having a suede interior with leather-like bolsters.
Ok then but that just suggests to me that it will leather in areas where it already has leather, but in North Anerica it will likely continue not getting leather at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that blue looks very similar to the '12-'15 honda pilot dark blue.
in other words,, it has to be absolutely clean and under bright daylight in order to realize that it is blue and not dark purple/black

1 - 15 of 15 Posts