1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, curious. I've had no headlight trouble, and the only brake trouble was recent when some d*p***t Toyota techie left a bolt off a caliper, and the caliper worked its way loose. Yet that episode makes me sceptical about taking my RAV near a Toyota dealership again, even for recall fixes for problems that I've not experienced.

Bought in 2000, my RAV definitely falls into that recall period. *shrug* We'll see... my baby is getting quite old now.

T

·
0 Posts
Well I hope they do a recall over here because my calipers locked up for the 2nd time. I have a 2001 Rav4 and the check light went on today. I know we had replaced our brakes lately, but my car was smoking today. I have to investigate further on this to see if it truly is a mechanical malfunction related to faulty calipers or if it was a bad brake job or does it need some bleeding.

I already had plans to replace the rotors this time with brand new brake pads (I'd rather replace these practically new pads) again because I can't stand the squeaking.

How I wish I only had a rattle noise instead.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Cheap Brake Pads?

I installed my own brakes on the front this summer (rotors and all) and I noticed I had a seazed slider on the right front. Thats all the trouble I came across. My brakes don't squeek but I installed full ceramic pads that were recommended and they are great. Ask for those next time. Only and couple of dollars more.

Later. M.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Marcutio said:
Cheap Brake Pads?

I installed my own brakes on the front this summer (rotors and all) and I noticed I had a seazed slider on the right front. Thats all the trouble I came across. My brakes don't squeek but I installed full ceramic pads that were recommended and they are great. Ask for those next time. Only and couple of dollars more.

Later. M.
A seized caliper guide pin not uncommon and particularly so when you have a brake job done by an incompetent shop. It is imperative when replacing pads to not only check the condition of the rotors and the calipers, but to defintiely regrease the guide pins with the special grease. If this isn't done, as in a quicky job at a shop, they you risk the pin seizing and premature brake wear. Additionally you will get poorer fuel mileage and performance.

I've done my own brakes for years and I have found that high mileage vehicles can have some pretty "dry" guide pins when the change pads. So grease those suckers and don't just change the pads. If the pins are worn replacements are not too expensive and rebuilding or just buying a reman. caliper is not too expensive either (at least with most american makes).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts