Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody traded in their non-toyota car towards their rav? I know every dealer's different, but I'm concerned that I'm not gonna get that great of a deal. In anybody's past experiences, has Toyota generally been more or less generous in that aspect? I'm still considering going over to carmax and see what they can do for me.
I'm in the DC area, and I'm probably gonna deal with Kay Jennings Toyota...does anyone here have any experience dealing with them regarding trade-ins?

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
As long as it's in good enough shape for a low maintenance resale (i.e. not going straight to a wholesale auction), they should offer a fair amount. Carmax is supposed to be extra-picky in that respect and sell the equivalent of a manufacturer's "certified used" program. Private sale should always turn over the most $$$ dollar for dollar, but the question you have to ask is "Is it worth the hassle?"

I've seen plenty of Toyota dealers around NoVA that sell used non-Toyotas, but I can't say anything specifically for Kay Jennings. I've dealt with Lustine and Ourisman for new RAV4's and had passing relationships with a couple others (in Springfield and Falls Church) for service and shopping around.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my information is dated from a few years ago but it might be somewhat relevant from a strategy point of view. I was working with 3 dealers in NoVA (Ourisman/Fairfax, Miller/Manassas, & Alexanderia Toyota) on the purchase of a new Celica (approximately $21,800 and some change). My trade-in was a Ford Mustang. I can't remember whom offered what but the 3 different trade-in values were $6,000, $6,300, & $6,500. All while I was committed to purchasing the $21,800 Celica from them.

I went with Ourisman and the Mustang trade-in of $6,300. I was set to sign later that afternoon (had to pick up wife) and had time to burn so I went stright over to CARMAX in Dulles, VA. After about 45 minutes they offered me $8,000 on the Mustang without me buying anything and gave me 7 days/300 miles to think it over. I went back later that afternoon to finialize the purchase of the Celica. When they asked and I mentioned that I had already traded in my Mustang and would not be needing the trade-in offer they provided, they suddenly "delayed" my Celica delivery. Said something about that they would have to "find me another similar car" from incoming stock because the one I had previously picked out would not be arriving as scheduled. I stopped the deal at that time because they said that the price would be a little different. Took about two weeks to get my $500 deposit back. Funny how they can always take a check on the spot but have to go through the "front office" and wait for headquarters to cut you a check back.

Short version is that I ended up buying from another dealer & another car all togeather. I had to price negotiate all over again but.... I did get $1700 more for my car without any purchase from CARMAX. Maybe if you could get a price from KayJennings for your trade-in and then go check out CARMAX's quote the same day (or before you take their deal at Jenning). Wouldn't hurt to know beforehand and you have 7 days on CARMAX's quote.

Something to think about. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
You have a point there dogface -- make sure your negotiated purchase price leaves the trade-in off the table to see how much it affects things. If the dealership doesn't make their money on the acual new vehicle sale, they'll try to cover the balance with trade-in, aftermarket options, or financing.

It's a little known fact that new car dealerships make the bulk of their $$$ from used car sales, parts, financing, insurance and service. Only something like 25% of their moneymaking is actually from new cars.

http://wdb.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_no_profit_new

Coming in with your own financing (cash or check in hand), your own insurance, and no trade-in offers the least price flexibility from the dealership, so don't expect heavy, intense negotiating of you do this. The only thing they can sell you at that point is more Toyota options and dealer installed options (clear coat, paint and upholstery treatment, undercoating, lojack, VIN etching) and aftermarket resale items like auto clubs, warranties and service contracts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts