Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I had nothing better to do so I am going to kick some dust in the air. Those of you who know me, know that I do that once every couple of months.

Saw the 05 RAV4 brochure. I have not been a very happy man since then.
"There is big picture of a HEEL hanging on the front page with RAV4 behind it."

I am so glad, none of my friends have ever seen it; otherwise I will be abused like the toilet on a fishing vessel in the Australian waters.

Sorry ladies. Nothing against you... but...... it offends me as a man

I sold my 4Runner to buy a RAV4 for better GAS mileage, and styling. Why do I have to be a man that spends MORE in GAS and drives a car that has AGRESSIVE styling? Why can't I be a man that likes compact SUVs that don't cost a lot so I can save some money for my kids' college? Can't a man appreciate beauty in a car?
Why do I have to be a woman to think of those things?

TOYOTA needs to answer what I said above. By putting that front page they have basically told me that I don't belong on the driver's seat unless I wear heels so I have to be a female or a Drag Queen to drive the RAV4?

I hate it when auto manufactureres TARGET a specific kind of HUMAN for their targets.

See the HUMMERS out there, most are driven by LADIES, I see many 4Runners driven by ladies. It could be said that SUVS are all for ladies.

I am loving the RAV4 and will do for years. I hope all guys feel the same and not think about that "ladies" scenario for this "entry" level SUV.

Here is something. I can be a man if I am driving a full size pickup with AUTOMATIC transmission but not man enough if I have a stick shift RAV4???? Hello??? Doesn't make sense.....

I see 4Runners on the road, love them but I am a "numbers" man. My GAS numbers were not good, A 4Runner can't come on my drive way with those MPG numbers. Besides the newer Runner is not stickshift anyway so the story ends here on that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
get over it

I have been taunted about being gay because I drive a RAV. People who are jealous always find ways of getting at you. I just say I couldn't care less. They get over it after a while.

Brian

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2004 brochure covershot had 2 women standing next to a RAV4 dressed up for a night on the town with a big city glittering in the background. I never paid much attention to it, but it does tell you who the target audience is.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think the reason that the Rav4 is regarded as a "chick car" is because of its size, and also because it's a baby SUV and not a truck. I've noticed a correlation between the size of an SUV and the number of women I see driving them, because I see more men driving Rav4's than I see men driving Hummers. I think all VW's are chick cars, but then again I see plenty of men driving them.

I know guys my age that go out and by the nicest sports cars and SUVs just so they can impress the ladies, which sad to say works most of the time. They spend 90% of their income paying the loans and insurance for their vehicles, and really never get ahead in life. Then they make fun of me because I drive a Rav4. Yeah well it may not be the coolest car around, but it gets me where I need to go, is cheap to operate, and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen. So when these guys I know bitch about their cars being stolen or damaged or repossed or anything else, I just laugh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Free to be a RAVer

Be free. Don't let the Advertisers ("Madison Avenue") affect your appreciation of a good vehicle. As the Anthony Hopkins character said in "Legends of the Fall," 'Screw 'em.'

You can define what a RAV4 driver is, in the eyes of those close to you.

RAV on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
From what I've seen on the roads in Oz, I would say at least 8 out of 10 Rav drivers are women......................so Toyota is obvioulsy targetting their main customer base.

But them again, most SUV's in Oz are driven by women :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey what’s the problem…

Women like the car.

Women like to be in the car.

I like women.

I like the women in my car. :wink:

Just like taking a baby or a cute dog to the park. Priceless :D

Cheers,

Walt

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank god, we haven't got this problem in Sweden. Here most men or women drive SAABs or Volvos any way. So RAV is just another Japanese vehicle without any sex identification here. Matter of fact I do not know of any vehicle here that has a gender identification. Can this be an Austrarlian or an American phenomina? I hope you all do not mind my asking that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raj said:
Can this be an Austrarlian or an American phenomina? I hope you all do not mind my asking that.
It to do with style, which the RAV has. Most people equate liking style to women, as it would be embarrasing for men to admit they liked things with style.

But that's what I like about the RAV, its style.

Brian

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... I bought my RAV4 almost a year ago now. I chose Toyota because of quality and loyalty. (I drove a 1995 Tercel before my RAV4 and my family has owned Toyotas for decades.) I can see how people could perceive the RAV4 as a feminine SUV because of its styling and size. The irony is that there are a lot of men driving feminine cars, and there are also a lot of women driving masculine cars. When I was car shopping, the RAV4 was definitely one of my top choices (actually, second to the Tacoma, but most of the Tacomas that I found were the top-of-the-line TRD ones). When I asked for people's opinion of the RAV4, the most common response was, "Yeah, the RAV4 is a nice SUV, but... <fill in the blank>", with size and styling as the two most common critiques. Yes, the RAV4 is a little smaller than other SUVs in its class (which I realize when I stow my bike in the back), but hey, it's a good balance between size and power.

When I test drove the RAV4 about a year ago for the first time, I was literally blown away by its power. :shock: The power, coupled with the brawny feel of the suspension, made the RAV4 much more fun to drive than my dad's 2000 Honda CR-V. After the test drive, I immediately made the RAV4 my top choice over the Tacoma (although the selection of Tacomas were getting pretty sparse in Vancouver around May-June 2004).

So then I ask... if not the RAV4, then what? Of course, I also considered the Honda Element due to practicality and uniqueness, which I eventually decided against due to price and the fact that it only has four legal seats (compared to the the RAV4's five). I also briefly considered the Nissan Xterra, but it guzzles too much gas. (However, this year, the Nissan X-Trail compact SUV went on the market in Canada.) The CR-V would not have been a bad buy, but it is a little too "boxy" for my needs. With the 2004 engine upgrade, the RAV4 has more horses than the CR-V/Element. Thus, by process of elimination (which was definitely not the basis of my decision making), the RAV4 comes out on top.

And, oh yeah, by the way, before I forget, my 2004 RAV4 is a manual. Almost every other RAV4 in the Vancouver area is an automatic! 8)

The moral of the story is that we shouldn't be fooled by the image police. We can label cars as "guy cars" or "chick cars" or "family cars" or whatever, but what it all comes down to is personal taste and practicality. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Free to be a RAVer

ejpede said:
...............................................As the Anthony Hopkins character said in "Legends of the Fall," 'Screw 'em.'
You can define what a RAV4 driver is, in the eyes of those close to you.

RAV on.
Couldn't agree more....

My Outback HAT and the THULE bike racks on the roof usually let people know that this RAV is driven by a WISE/PROUD MAN, who is not throwing his money away !! :)

Almost every Hummer is driven by women so soon there will be heels hanging on the Hummer cover pages too so the guys will hate buying Hummers too.....

Toyota Tacoma brochure has all men in it, there should be women in it too. Women are in construction too and I now see a lot of women driving pickups....

U see.. I am not a sexist........... :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yea I agree with what you guys said about Rav being a chicks car. Personally I love the car too much to care what other people are thinking. People in my high school say that Rav is too small for anything and that I should return it and get 4Runner (Hilux). It's funny because the people complaining about the size of my car are the ones who drive some very old V8 198hp junks that they think are cool.

Plus do other cars have such a cool website like this one or RavOZ??

And cool people like u guys?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I agree, you can't get too hung up on what your car supposedly says about you. I see the RAV4 as a bit of a chick SUV but that didn't stop me from buying one. Guys are also allowed to like a car that's fun to drive, good on gas, easy to park, etc. Plus I find its "cute" dimensions make it superior at squeezing down narrow backwoods trails than a more "macho" SUV would be.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Iwanted to add one thing. I saw a UK commerciall for Rav4. And there was a guy driving it. So mayba it's not only a 'chick's SUV'.
talk to me on ICQ, MSN, or Aim if u want me to send it to u. The commercial is actuually preatty funny.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys I buy it for my wife :D because she told me it’s quit, but I add some metal :twisted:
To make it more man’s car I drive it sometimes too :wink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Look i bought my 02 rav4 for for gas mileage and its looks. I don't give a rats azz who says what about it. I also drive a Ford F-150 4x4 5 speed and i see lots of woman driving big trucks and i am not offended by it. ( i think it looks hot) . I am 6'1" and 245 lbs. long beard and huge arms and (tummy). If anyone has anything to say about what i drive the by all means Bring it on.

regards, Big Jim

1 - 20 of 70 Posts