Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you can see in my profile, we are a RAV4 family. And I had a 2001 Highlander V6 for 165000 miles, too!

I drove our 2014 limited from Long Island to Buffalo and back last month on the NYS Thruway. Car rides really nice, seats are pretty comfortable. I still have a problem with the "squishy" brakes that my dealer still says are normal but cause my heart to jump into my throat upon heavy braking. Power is adequate, though you have to be willing to "stomp on it" to get anything out of it when moving at 70 mph. Still, we got 31 mpg according to the on-board computer, averaging over 70 mph and the tach was around 2100 rpm at 75 mph with the 6-speed transmission. I was pretty happy with the car...

...until I drove my mother's 2015 Ford Escape Titanium EcoBoost back and forth across Florida last week!!!

Now, our 2014 Rav4 driver's seat is more comfortable, the front cockpit area is not as claustrophobic, and the rear cargo area is larger than the Escape's ...

BUT, the Escape's brakes actually feel like they are doing something, AND the EcoBoost is a pleasure! Not like my V6 Rav4s but soooo smooth and power is there when you need it without having to "stomp on it"!!

I will admit that the mpg on the Escape was nowhere near our 2014 Rav4 Limited, but probably better than my 2010 V6 Rav4.

Ford has shown what you can do when forced to eliminate the V6 to meet Fed standards, though I think their mpg claims are way off, and repairs will no doubt be more expensive! But the engine was so smooth it makes me rethink whether I want to stay with Toyota.

I doubt I will buy an Escape next, but I will NOT move up to a Highlander just to get a V6!

Toyota is forcing me to look around a little more carefully next time I buy.

Too bad.

Marshall

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean. I have a 2013 XLE, its a great vech mostly. The only thing it really needs is a bit more power. Given that its my only complaint I am in no rush to go out and replace it. But I think for my next vech I will probably be shopping for a NX, RX350, or RDX.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We just bought our first Toyota, a few months ago.
- a mint 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 with 55,000 miles...we are now spoiled
In 5-6 years, likely replace it with either a used v6 Highlander or Lexus RX350.
- I like proven power trains, and high mileage is mostly of little concern / not a Big3 KSF

The only Big3 vehicles, I like & own is an older Chev/GMC 4x4 truck.
- their new cars & SUV's, they can keep them all...eventual money pits
- I am done, with higher maintenance costs on a yearly basis
- Big3 vehicles, are more prone to numerous problems, designed right after the warranty runs out
However my daily driver 1998 Silverado 4x4, 3/4 ton pickup, may be replaced with a newer Toyota model, in a few years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean. I have a 2013 XLE, its a great vech mostly. The only thing it really needs is a bit more power. Given that its my only complaint I am in no rush to go out and replace it. But I think for my next vech I will probably be shopping for a NX, RX350, or RDX.
If you're already looking ahead at a Lexus then the 2013 RAV is never going to measure up, and it shouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
But I think for my next (vehicle) I will probably be shopping for a NX, RX350, or RDX.
Pay me now. :D

I will admit that the mpg on the 2015 Ford Escape was nowhere near our 2014 Rav4 Limited ..... I think their mpg claims are way off, and repairs will no doubt be more expensive!
Pay me now AND pay me later. >:D :doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
...until I drove my mother's 2015 Ford Escape Titanium EcoBoost back and forth across Florida last week!!!
Have you priced that thing? :eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Meh, name the manufacturer of your next vehicle and I will find a disenchanted previous customer. No one company or model can be all things to all people all of the time.

As for the Escape Titanium Ecoboost, we test drove one and came away unimpressed with the power and disappointed with it's ride and handling. That coupled with a reluctance to trust a turbocharged gasoline engine from a domestic manufacturer over the long term got it dropped from consideration.

We are currently nearing the end of a 2,500 mile road trip loaded down pretty well and crossing many mountain passes. I will be honest and admit that I would appreciate more power, too. But even so the RAV has been handling cruising at 75-90mph adequately. I just wish it didn't have to work so hard at times. A V6 would definitely make the already great 4.4 even better.

We'll probably be looking elsewhere next time, too. But because I want to try something different, likely an Audi, not because we are disappointed with our RAV.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
If I were looking for a V6 in a vehicle priced somewhat closely to the RAV 4.4 I would have a good look at a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Kia Sorento, both available with that engine. The 2016 Sorento has had a good preliminary lookover by Consumer Reports and they were favorably impressed, and the Kia can be had with a V6 (LX) for MSRP $28,500. CR says that Kia no longer can be regarded as a cheaply made vehicle. I had a Hyundai Elantra GT and it was a very good car, solidly made and got phenomenal gas mileage before the ethanol fiasco.

·
Registered
166 Posts
.. snipped ... If I were looking for a V6 in a vehicle priced somewhat closely to the RAV 4.4 I would have a good look at a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Kia Sorento, both available with that engine.
These were the other two vehicles on our short list and in serious contention before we pulled the trigger on our RAV4. The V6's in these Korean vehicles run like scalded dogs. The deciding factors for us was the 4.3 RAV's footprint is a little more compact, the headrests were in the way (rear line of sight) in the Santa Fe and inside, they seemed to have more of a hard plasticy look and feel to them.

Also, we knew the Toyota brand (have owned 3 Camry wagons since 1993) and overall were pretty pleased with them from a maintenance cost, reliability and functionality standpoint.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
They start at $29,505 but good luck finding one like that. I'm not knocking the vehicle at all but I think you will be in for sticker shock when you seriously go shopping for one. It is considerably smaller inside than the RAV, make sure you can live with that. My oldest nephew has one and the recalls and TSB's have been numerous..........just like our two 2008 RAV4s:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
i owned a turbo-equipped audi a4 before i bought my 2015 rav4. while it is true that a turbo gives you a nice kick in the seat of the pants when you tromp on the gas pedal, it will also kick your butt when it goes bad. my turbo failed at 95000 miles (the oil was changed at twice the recommended frequency specifically to reduce the chances of a problem with the turbo) and audi refused to do anything for me other than drain my bank account. i would not be inclined to buy another turbo-equipped car at this point.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Aren't ALL the roads in Florida flat?

Just asking. ?

Enjoy your new Ford product!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts