Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota's Facelifted 2016 RAV4 And New RAV4 Hybrid Snagged Out In The Open

14K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 · (Edited)
Comparing this to the 2015, I prefer the rear of the 2016, but much prefer the 2015 front. The 2015 front has more character and is more refined and distinctive. The front styling of the 2016 looks very pedestrian, and maybe too sporty for this type of vehicle. Plus I don't like LED headlights. It cheapens the look of most cars, IMO.

#7 ·
I really like the black with silver trim.

#8 ·
Seems the front end was patterned after the Corolla's as I just passed by one at Train Station on my way to work.

The darker the color the better I guess for the front, though I like it better than the one in the outgoing model. The rear taillights definitely look more refined and not flushed out.

#16 ·
The SE is clearly the better-looking trim, but I worry about the "sport-tuned suspension" and 18-inch rims creating a rock-hard ride. Haven't a lot of owners already complained about the ride being a bit hard in the existing trims? It appears they've added additional sound insulation, which should address some complaints about noise. I just hope they haven't toyed with the tranny as that's one of the selling points. I've been holding out for a '16. BTW, the rear lights are reminiscent of the Sienna's.

#33 ·
My guess is that they are keeping the current suspension as the SE suspension and putting a softer one in the normal models due to the reviews about the ride being harsh. I don't mind the harshness of the suspension in our 2014 Rav4 Limited... but I also daily drive an FR-S and my wife's toy is a 2005 MINI Cooper S. The Rav is like floating on a cloud in comparison.

Looks wise, I'd pass on the SE, I think, and go with the Hybrid Limited. I really liked our Prius v and the HyRav Limited looks great. Odd considering I'd go with the aggressive NX200t F sport versus the standard NX200t or NX300h.

#18 ·
I have owned a Toyota Sienna LE then a Sienna SE. The SE trim looked great but the suspension was unforgiving and the drivetrain had no changes. I really hope this time they address the drivetrain as looks are nothing without performance. Given the Hybrid will have a boost in overall horsepower, I would not be surprised if it's more fun to drive than the SE!

#21 ·
Wow...now I can pass my '15 off as a '16 now that I have a SHARKFIN on the roof! >:D

#24 ·
As long as it has a soft touch dash I will buy one. It has been horrible having that hard plastic dash that doesn't have a squeak or rattle after 2 plus years and is super easy to clean. Now i can drive around touching my nice soft dashboard everyday.:smile
Sorry but its a pet peeve of mine. Watching and reading reviews bashing cars for not having a soft dashboard. Really. Why did this become a priority.

Ok back on topic now....

#30 ·
Back end looks great and I originally liked the front end (and still do to an extent) although feel like it's trying a bit too hard. After putting these side by side, kind of hard to unsee. Why so grouchy!?

Good one!

Toyota is trying to make the front end look aggressive, but the finished product looks more like your everyday, sub-compact. To me, it detracts from the Rav.

When I bought my RAV a couple of months ago, pics of the 2016 were already available. If I was blown away with it, I'd have waited for the 2016. I wasn't. Instead, it made my purchase of the 2015 easier. I guess I'll be out of the RAV market till Gen 5.

#32 ·
Like most others here, not a fan of the front end. The 2013-2015 had a face that was very unique and had it's own model identity. This new front end looks like a Corolla wagon, and I do not care for it at all.

The new taillights are nicer, for sure.

No powertrain changes at all.

Two tone trim for SE looks ridiculous. Two-tone paint has been out of style for 15 years... not sure why Toyota is doing this now.

Glad to have what I have - I would buy the 4Runner if I was making the same decision this year that I was in 2013.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.