Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light comes on and then goes off. This happens often. I checked tire pressure twice all 4 tires are at 33 PSI. Is there a reset switch for this? Also is there a tire sensor in the spare tire? If there is that is my problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The light comes on and then goes off. This happens often. I checked tire pressure twice all 4 tires are at 33 PSI. Is there a reset switch for this? Also is there a tire sensor in the spare tire? If there is that is my problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
Could be the batteries in one or more sensors. If that’s the case and you don’t need tires yet, I suggest fixing the problem with a piece of tape over the light. You are looking after the pressures anyway, so the TPMS appears to be superfluous to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big Daddy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the batteries in one or more sensors. If that’s the case and you don’t need tires yet, I suggest fixing the problem with a piece of tape over the light. You are looking after the pressures anyway, so the TPMS appears to be superfluous to you.

Is there a TPMS sensor in the spare on a 2015 Rav4?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
There may be. We didn’t get TPMS in Canada, thank goodness (more trouble than it’s worth, a leftover punishing everyone for the Ford/Firestone debacle in 2000) so I don’t have it in mine. I’ve heard that USA sold models did have a sensor in the spare in the 4.3 series, and suspect you’d have one in yours too. If it’s off and on, it could be an intermittent signal, or a battery on its way out.

You can reset it with the locksmith tool or by getting a copy of TechStream on a laptop and accessing it that way. If it was me and the pressures were confirmed and steady, I’d pull out the tape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be. We didn’t get TPMS in Canada, thank goodness (more trouble than it’s worth, a leftover punishing everyone for the Ford/Firestone debacle in 2000) so I don’t have it in mine. I’ve heard that USA sold models did have a sensor in the spare in the 4.3 series, and suspect you’d have one in yours too. If it’s off and on, it could be an intermittent signal, or a battery on its way out.

You can reset it with the locksmith tool or by getting a copy of TechStream on a laptop and accessing it that way. If it was me and the pressures were confirmed and steady, I’d pull out the tape.

Thanks I will check it, Wife has the Rav4 at me moment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, the spare has TPMS. This is probably the source of your problem. [EDIT: pretty sure I'm wrong about the spare having TPMS. See posts below by TamKatt and riverratmike]
Also, for TPMS malfunction (like weak batteries) TPMS light will flash before it goes solid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the spare has TPMS. This is probably the source of your problem.
Also, for TPMS malfunction (like weak batteries) TPMS light will flash before it goes solid.
thanks I will check it soon, never have checked the air pressure in that spare. My bad!

·
Super Moderator
11,624 Posts
Since you haven't checked the spare tire pressure in six years :oops: it is highly likely that's the problem. I put 40-45 psi in my spare so I don't have to mess with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
As I understand it, only full-size spare tires include the TPMS sensor - the "donut" space savers do not. At least in the US.

Two different scan tools report only 4 sensors in my '18 LE. My spare is the "donut" style.

I'll guess I'll confirm this when I put on my snows in a few weeks.

·
Registered
Car: red, with some black trim
174 Posts
My scan tool shows that it's possible to register 5 sensors to each wheel set, summer and winter, on the car so maybe yours does have 5 sensors, maybe not.
I would assume that if you connect a scan tool to your Rav, you will be able to see the the ID nrs of each sensor, if only ID nrs 1-4 are visible then your spare tire either does not have a sensor or it's not registered to the car.

If the issue is a defect sensor in the spare wheel then it can probably just be deleted either by a dealer or maybe by the carista app, only 4 working sensors are required to keep the TPMS warning light off.

If the issue is a sensor in one of the 4 main tires then a scan tool should show which one.

ID nr 1 is LF, 2 is RF, 3 is RR, 4 is LR. ID 5 is the spare on mine anyway, tho I guess they could be mixed in any configuration.

Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Font

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info. I checked the spare tonight. It had 6 PSI in it. It now has 34 PSI. Didn't look like to me that the spare has a TPMS sensor. Valve stem was made of rubber not metal like the 4 others on the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Flashing TPMS light followed by solid light means there is a problem with the "system" - not necessarily with pressure in a tire.
Often that means the battery has gone out in one of the sensors but it could also indicate another problem with the system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts