Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. New to this forum so hi again. Advice need please. My T180 is 10 years old now and the good old tyre pressure warning light keeps flashing from time to time. I guess one or all batteries are getting low so the sensors will need changing soon. My question is.....
I've seen aftermarket sensors that include a small screen that shows all four wheels pressures and considering upgrading to this. Is it possible to permanently disable the yellow warning light and stay legal? (only after fitting the new system of cause)
These are a fraction of the cost of OE ones and can be fitted without the need for reprogramming.
Also my tyres are getting low too so I'm looking at options to get rid of the Toyota run flat (Pain in the A**) system. If I can find normal run flat tyres or even just fit standard tyres (I have a spare) I am considering doing all of the above in one hit. Good/Bad idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Paul from Oxford UK

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Welcome, Paul. This forum is North America - based so we may not be able to answer your query about disabling the TPMS system while remaining legal, but here is a link to an entire thread about actually disabling the system: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/85538-how-disable-tpms-how-turn-off-tpms-light.html

Or one can use the easiest method and simply place a piece of black tape onto the instrument panel cover to obscure the TPMS warning light.

If you're going to buy new tyres anyway then obviously that would be the best time to change the sensors as well. You may be able to buy new sensors via Ebay or at Halford's, for example, for much less money but the TPMS system will need to be reprogrammed, something which a tyre replacement center or perhaps even an auto supply store such as Halfords should be able to do.

Reactions: paulanfield

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much appreciated. Not sure on the black tape fix though lol. Here in the uk Toyotas run flat system is a real heart ache. Very hard to find anyone who can change this type of tyre. Even Toyota dealers don't have the right equipment for that type of tyre. Most tyre shops say to cut the old ones off and lose the inner part and fit standards. I can't find 235/55-18 in a standard run flat configuration over here. Looking on eBay there's plenty of run flats in this size but all sold in USA, not at all in the UK.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Some users on this forum who have had run flats have changed over to standard tyres. To compensate for the loss of run flat ability they have bought small tyre repair kits and temporary repair inflation pressure cans, and inflators which can run by being plugged into the RAV's 12v power socket. One benefit which has been reported is an improved ride with standard tyres, compared with the ride with run flats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks much appreciated. Not sure on the black tape fix though lol. Here in the uk Toyotas run flat system is a real heart ache. Very hard to find anyone who can change this type of tyre. Even Toyota dealers don't have the right equipment for that type of tyre. Most tyre shops say to cut the old ones off and lose the inner part and fit standards. I can't find 235/55-18 in a standard run flat configuration over here. Looking on eBay there's plenty of run flats in this size but all sold in USA, not at all in the UK.
I have a T180 and was able to remove the dreaded runflats. I replaced them with standard Nokian tyres which had really good reviews.
The TPMS sensors still work fine but you can disable the system if you choose to do so.
The best place for replacement sensors I bought from here
https://www.tpmswarehouse.co.uk
I just had to give them the ID numbers on the original sensors and just swap over with the replacement ones.
Oh and one more thing remember to tell your insurance that you?ve removed the runflats. It didn?t incur an extra charge but better to be safe than sorry.

Hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts