Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered this. It looks like it adds it into the software in the dash to show as it was supposed to. Very excited to run across this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great idea. Would be curious to see if it works with US frequency TPMS. Also some of the displays appears to be in Chinese, so If it can adapt to the regional setting of the car it would be awesome. Eager to see how you make out with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After speaking with the seller, they confirmed it will work with the car’s own language and such as it unlocks an additional screen in the software. So it will read whatever data the car can. Should do what we’ve all wanted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the system uses the abs sensors to determin the rotation speed of the tire... less pressure=more rotation. it doesn't use the TPMsensors. It is a passive measuring system :-(.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
the system uses the abs sensors to determin the rotation speed of the tire... less pressure=more rotation. it doesn't use the TPMsensors. It is a passive measuring system :-(.
Don't understand how that could work. Tire rotation speeds change constantly with road speed changes, and there are large differential speed changes when negotiating corners and also when negotiating road curves.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't understand how that could work. Tire rotation speeds change constantly with road speed changes, and there are large differential speed changes when negotiating corners and also when negotiating road curves.
BMW's original tire pressure monitoring system used this very same method. It worked, but the TPMS sensor is better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From speaking with the seller, it does use the TPMS sensors. They even show in the video that as the pressure changes while sitting still, it shows the pressure. So, I'm assuming that it's not just off of abs sensors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the looks of the video, it seems like the tire pressure is displayed on the Multi Information Display.
This would indicate a modification to the car's software.
Since the TPMS is already being read in the software why would you need additional hardware to display what is already known by the car's software?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The additional hardware is what unlocks the information in the MID. It's not shown normally. This is adding what should have already been there. It's like putting in a cheat code for a game. The game already has the info to display, but with out the outside operation happening, it wouldn't be displayed. Still waiting on it to come in of course. I'll add to this thread when I get the actual device in hand.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do. Looks like it just shipped today. Very excited to see how well this works. Really hoping it does what I think it will.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not having a tire monitor is one of several annoying interfaces that Toyota dropped the ball on. And it's freaking free to put it in the MID.

I hope this works! Following....

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,572 Posts
No, Toyota quit using that system way back in the Gen2 RAV4. At least since the 2006 model year, RAV4's have used the individual TPMS sensors in each wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts