Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2016 RAV4 XLE was manufactured in Canada. Canadian models do not have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System required by the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The dash display is equipped with the Tire Pressure monitor light but I am not sure if the vehicle is compatible with the TPMS system or if it can be added. Does anyone have experience with installing a TPMS either through a Toyota dealer Service department or other mechanic? Is it possible? Are there known issues or challenges? If you have any recommendations for who could perform this work in the Los Angeles area it would be great. My local Toyota dealer in Culver City was not helpful.

Many thanks,

Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
All Canadian built Rav4s destined for the US DO have TPMS, my '15 Ltd was Canadian made and had TPMS, Canada doesn't have the TPMS mandate for their vehicles, so Canada destined models don't have TPMS. If the TPMS light illuminates at start up, it has TPMS, look at the valve stems on the wheels, if they're metal, it definitely has TPMS, if they're rubber, probably not. The TPMS reset button will be under the dash above the brake pedal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Canadian built Rav4s destined for the US DO have TPMS, my '15 Ltd was Canadian made and had TPMS, Canada doesn't have the TPMS mandate for their vehicles, so Canada destined models don't have TPMS. If the TPMS light illuminates at start up, it has TPMS, look at the valve stems on the wheels, if they're metal, it definitely has TPMS, if they're rubber, probably not. The TPMS reset button will be under the dash above the brake pedal.
Thanks Quickdtoo.

Sorry for not being more clear. My vehicle was destined for Canada. The light is on the display but does not illuminate on starting.

Andrew

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put a set of aftermarket steel rims on the wife's RAV4 with snow tires for the winter. A $70 aftermarket TPMS that plugs into the cigarette lighter works well. I did the same on my truck since the batteries in the sensors went south. A lot cheaper than renewing the batteries.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am in the same position with my CDN vehicle. Please keep us updated if you find a solution to use the factory system. I have no interest in an aftermarket version at this time. The ECU / ECM probably requires re programming in order to activate the system. But then you will need the wire harness and switch for the re set button that is installed under the dash on that plastic shield. I wonder where the reset switch wire harness plugs into. I have an spare set of Toyota TPMS sensors so I am half way there...cheers

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mikey D, that is a very interesting system. Pricey, tho. I wonder about sensor battery replacement. Do the sensors have to be replaced when the battery dies? Will they be available in 7 to 10 years?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have no answer for that. If you look up Scotty Kilmer he does a video about TPMS - that's where I learned about aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is the OP attempting to IMPORT a Canadian Market RAV4 into the USA and attempting to get it certified as meeting FMVSS for registration purposes?

If so, an aftermarket system not integrated probably won't pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts