Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2021 Toyota RAV4.

I am getting a second set of steel wheels to mount snow tires for the winter.

Do I need to purchase TPMS? What happens if I don't? Will the dash light come on? Just curious what happens to a 2021 RAV4 with the absence of TPMS sensors?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
The TPMS dash warning light will come on if there are no sensors in your winter wheels but you can either ignore it or if the light is annoying place a piece of electrician's or other tape over the light to hide it. Nothing else will happen to your RAV4 but of course the actual tire pressures will need to be monitored with a tire gauge.

·
Registered
2018 LE AWD
783 Posts
Correct - the warning light comes on, but is only a distraction. Unlike Honda, who disable some things like traction control adjustments etc when the TPMS system is not happy. I never really understood that...

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find a reputable tire shop willing to NOT install the TPMS sensors since they are required by federal law.

My winter tires were recognized in less than a minute when I swapped over from my summer tires. I bought the winter tires, with rims and sensors, through Costco.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Some states w/ an annual inspection and/or emission tests, WON’T pass your car if any dash warning lights are on (TPMS included).

Me personally, I like TPMS. I am cursed w/ being a magnet and suffer at least 2+ flat tires/year, due to mails/screws/bolts. The warning has saved a few tires and allowed me to safely pull over too.

Some people have reported compatibility issues when non-Denso TPMS sensors are used on Toy/Lex.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
As noted some states require working TPMS systems in order to pass inspections - no such inspection in Oregon. Local Oregon tire shop quoted me for new tires but said new TPMS sensors not included unless I wanted them even though current ones are 10+ years old. Wife drove from San Diego to Oregon and noticed that her vehicle was not handling as usual. Checked tire pressures and one was 3 psi lower than the others. No TPMS warning as tire pressure was not low enough to trigger it. Aired tire and continued, next gas stop checked tire again and again it has lost about 3 psi. Finally stopped at a tire shop and they found a nail in the tire. Repaired it and she continued on. For her no TPMS was needed to alert to a tire inflation problem. Same for me in the past - have noticed change in vehicle handling with a puncture even though not much air had escaped and fortunately have have never ruined a tire.

Reactions: murphysf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So tomorrow I am getting some winter tires mounted on my 2021 LE steel wheels.

In the next few months I may buy a set of RAV4 alloy takeoff wheels.

So in the future I may swap out the steel wheel winter tires for the new set I plan to buy n hte next few months.

Basically have run the steel wheels with winter tires in the winter and switch to the alloy wheels with a set of non-winter tires.

So my question is, will I need the TMPS numbers off the current set of factory sensors in the future. For example if I switch to non winter wheel / tire set and then next winter switch back to what I currently have?

Asking because if I do, it might be a good idea to jot down the numbers tomorrow when they take the tries off. This assumes the numbers are on the sensors. I could be way off and wrong here, perhaps the sensor id numbers are not on the devices and only able to be read off by a scan tool?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
So tomorrow I am getting some winter tires mounted on my 2021 LE steel wheels.

In the next few months I may buy a set of RAV4 alloy takeoff wheels.

So in the future I may swap out the steel wheel winter tires for the new set I plan to buy n hte next few months.

Basically have run the steel wheels with winter tires in the winter and switch to the alloy wheels with a set of non-winter tires.

So my question is, will I need the TMPS numbers off the current set of factory sensors in the future. For example if I switch to non winter wheel / tire set and then next winter switch back to what I currently have?

Asking because if I do, it might be a good idea to jot down the numbers tomorrow when they take the tries off. This assumes the numbers are on the sensors. I could be way off and wrong here, perhaps the sensor id numbers are not on the devices and only able to be read off by a scan tool?

Thanks
I picked up a set of take off wheels from another RAV4 owner. Costco installed TPMS sensors on the wheels and then mounted a set of Blizzaks. Using the menu control on the steering wheel, I was able to have my 2021 RAV4 Prime learn the new sensors without needing the codes on the sensors. No scan tool needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts