Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Costco should have put new sensors on the 4 tires they installed - they charged me for it("TPMS Service Pack - Generic").
Ok then the bad one is probably the one in the spare. Just have that one replaced and you should be good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought I would update everyone on my TPMS saga. I went to Costco today and sure enough, one of the sensor units failed. It was on one of the tires Costco recently replaced. HOWEVER, I was told by Costco that they DO NOT REPLACE existing tire sensors with new sensors even with a new set of tires. They REMOVE the old sensor from your old tire and install it in the new tire. Apparently that is part of the “tire install” cost. I am unhappy to report that a new sensor (“Redi-Sensor” as listed on the bill) ran about $45 with a $14 install charge, with tax it all came to $61 and change...for one tire. Ugh.
Costco guy told me that they do not change out the sensors unless you specifically tell them to OR the light on the dash indicates a problem.
Given that my wife’s 2004 Sienna has the system and never exhibited a problem, I figured he’s right, just ride the sensors to failure and replace then. If this ever happens again, I will probably just cover the dash light with a piece of electrical tape.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Replacing them one by one ends up costing more. The batteries last 10 years, if that 2004 Sienna didn't complain, probably the reader doesn't work (and they are all dead). Someone posted how to invalidate the reader with just a jumper, so it's possible to be done.

Toyota OE sensors $99/4pcs:
Non OE sensors $61/4pcs

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Thought I would update everyone on my TPMS saga. I went to Costco today and sure enough, one of the sensor units failed. It was on one of the tires Costco recently replaced. HOWEVER, I was told by Costco that they DO NOT REPLACE existing tire sensors with new sensors even with a new set of tires. They REMOVE the old sensor from your old tire and install it in the new tire. Apparently that is part of the “tire install” cost. I am unhappy to report that a new sensor (“Redi-Sensor” as listed on the bill) ran about $45 with a $14 install charge, with tax it all came to $61 and change...for one tire. Ugh.
Costco guy told me that they do not change out the sensors unless you specifically tell them to OR the light on the dash indicates a problem.
Given that my wife’s 2004 Sienna has the system and never exhibited a problem, I figured he’s right, just ride the sensors to failure and replace then. If this ever happens again, I will probably just cover the dash light with a piece of electrical tape.
I'm surprised at Costco. If nothing else, it's a chance to make some money. I'm getting ready to replace 4 tires on my 2010 Rav and I will have all 5 replaced. Then I'm done with it. And I don't have a tpms light on.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'm surprised at Costco. If nothing else, it's a chance to make some money. I'm getting ready to replace 4 tires on my 2010 Rav and I will have all 5 replaced. Then I'm done with it. And I don't have a tpms light on.
I'm surprised as well. The TPMS sensors are designed to last for about 10 years but also may last longer as yours have since they do not transmit unless the vehicle is in motion and if one does not have many miles on the vehicle the sensors can be good for quite some time after 10 years. But if replacing the tires especially on a '10 RAV4 it obviously makes sense to replace the sensors at the same time as that will save money and hassle later.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They should at least offer the option. But a lot of people think that those offers are just scams... and get aggravated.
So that's a decision that Costco had to make.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
[/QUOTE]

The TPMS sensors are not mounted in the tires but instead are part of the wheel mounted tire pressure valves and so are not an integral part of the tire replacement process. If Costco are charging supposedly removing and reinstalling the sensors that is absurd and a form of fraud.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts