Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a TPMS in the spare? I removed my spare to run with a little less weight, and maybe 30-50mi later the TPMS light came on - but we did also have a snowstorm, so not 100% sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes, there is absolutely a TPMS sensor in the spare, and if the spare gets low on pressure or is removed from the vehicle, the TPMS light will go on.

Incidentally, about the LAST time I'd want to be driving around without the spare tire is in a snowstorm...or even just during the winter in general.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh that is annoying... I guess i'll either live with the light or mount the spare back.. most likely the former. I'm trying to find more ways to drop some weight on the car, doubt i'll find much though

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way -- is it normal that the alloy of the spare is different from the alloys on the car?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
by the way -- is it normal that the alloy of the spare is different from the alloys on the car?

The spare wheel on my 4.3 RAV has a steel rim while the road wheels are alloys.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got it. this car had an alloy spare, but it's different. no big deal anyway, just curious

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
got it. this car had an alloy spare, but it's different. no big deal anyway, just curious
Test it with a magnet. The steel spare on my Limited is painted silver to look like a (different) alloy, but it's steel all the way.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Only sport models came with an alloy spare...all others got steel, but some have purchased a matching alloy to include the spare into tire rotations...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh good point - i'll try a magnet - now that you say that, I guess it's very possible it's a painted steelie.

after the tpms light went on, it turned off and hasn't come back on yet -- i'll keep an eye on if it does or not

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When I removed my stock wheels I set them in the garage and when I would start my rav the car could still see the sensors...the tpms light would come on later in the day, after I got home and restarted the rav the light would go back out for a while...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it. I'm sure after a long trip it'll come on. pretty diligent about checking tires (mpg obsessive) so I'm not worried about the tires themselves. light will get annoying though, if it does keep coming back on

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you really want to. You can take the spare to a tire shop and have the TPMS valve stem replaced with a standard one. Then take a 4" PVC pipe throw the TPMS sensor in it and cap it at either ends and epoxy a shrader valve in one end. Pump up to 40 psi and keep the pipe bomb replica in your car.

Kind of stupid. But for a while when TPMS first came out people where doing this as a TPMS defeat when running aftermarket wheels, or for those that ran 2 sets of wheels.

I don't have TPMS on my winter wheels in any of my cars. Though I keep an eye on the pressure, I find that TPMS is most valuable when informing you that you have a flat tire. This is very usefull at highway speed and a fast flat. A story:

My sister was traveling probably close to 80 mph in her SUV, in the fast lane. This is LA so every one travels in the fast lane. 4 or 5 lane freeway, no left side shoulder. TPMS starts to flash, she responds and starts to move to the right. By the time she get to the shoulder her 70 series tire is almost completely flat and can barely steer the car at slow speeds. If she remained at high speeds there is a good chance she would have lost control of the car and most likely rolled it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see why not...my rav only came with 4 sensors...I can't imagine 2 computer systems just to handle 1 sensor...

hopefully true, I ordered mine and should arrive soon enough

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just picked up a 12' limited with the 17" rims. After day 3 my TPMS indicator came on but when I went to fill up all 4 tires were at 32 psi or higher. Can I get some advice from more experienced Rav4 owners?

1. I have not checked my spare yet and plan to during work lunch today.
2. Even at 32 psi the tires have a slight sidewall bulge at the ground. That seems quite abnormal for the correct pressure. Anyone else have this?

3. My door jam sticker says tires need inflated to 32 psi. What are you guys running? 32 seems light to me I wouldn't mind going a little high for better MPG.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You need to chack you spare, a bulge at the contract point of the tire sidewall is normal, especially as sidewalls get taller.
If your spare is at the correct pressure then you need to press the reset switch at the bottom of the drivers knee area on the dashboard.
If that doesn't work then you probably need a new sensor, as I have stated in the past the life expectancy of a tpms sensor is 5 to 10 years. Older sensors have even less life for several factors including battery tech and electronics.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You need to chack you spare, a bulge at the contract point of the tire sidewall is normal, especially as sidewalls get taller.
If your spare is at the correct pressure then you need to press the reset switch at the bottom of the drivers knee area on the dashboard.
If that doesn't work then you probably need a new sensor, as I have stated in the past the life expectancy of a tpms sensor is 5 to 10 years. Older sensors have even less life for several factors including battery tech and electronics.
Hopefully its just the spare that’s low. 2 days after picking up my ‘12 last October, one of the sensors died. Thankfully the dealer replaced no charge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts