Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been covered, I have searched the forum but haven't found an answer (here or anywhere else).

On October 2nd I replaced the tires on my '13 RAV4 XLE. Same size, etc etc. All the sensors are active and transmitting (I literally just had them checked again an hour ago), they have been checked by 3 different places, and they all see the same thing. However, I cannot get the TPMS light to go off. When we try to reset the "registration" of the sensors it is being blocked by DTC code C2126...the code that says they're not linking (duh...I know that)! I've taken it to 2 different mechanics (on top of the 3 tire places) who have cleared the DTC codes and tried to resync, but the DTC code pops back up immediately (not the delay that the TPMS manuals say is supposed to happen). I'm at my wits end!

This happened once before when I changed my breaks, but that time I had the breaks changed by Toyota and so they went in and worked their magic, which included new sensors, for free (not admitting that anything was wrong of course, they claimed they didn't know what happened). This time, they're quoting me a min of $130 just to run the diagnostic to find out what I already know. I can only imagine how much their "fix" to this would cost (I'm guessing 5 new sensors at least, and maybe even a shiny new computer). UGH!!!!!! Any ideas on next steps would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendy

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I had that code when I changed a TMPS sensor but it went out after driving for a little while .Do you have Techstream to check and see if they are registered ? "Transmitter ID not received in Main mode" was the code I got.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Did they check the spare pressure?
I just gave up on mine and put a tiny piece of black tape over the warning light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2013 has a donut spare, so no pressure sensor there, but I did check for it (and the pressure) just in case. I've also been driving it since Oct 2nd and it hasn't turned off (even with help of cleaning out codes, resending sensor ID's, etc).

I went to yet another place today and a new code popped up about a misfiring sensor on my left rear tire. That's the first time that code has come up. I'm taking it back tomorrow and we're going to play around with it a bit. Everyone is as fascinated as I am about figuring it out because all of the sensors read fine when not linked through the car's system, the TPMS computer just seems to have an issue with them. Nevermind that I'm a soccer mom who can now deliver TPMS DTC code definitions off the top of her head...

Thanks for the replies! I'll make sure I update when we get to the bottom of it all.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I went to yet another place today and a new code popped up about a misfiring sensor on my left rear tire.
I did not know that there was such a code.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have already had to pay to have two of these replaced on my 2014. It's possible that Toyota has the worst TPM sensors known to man.
They had a bad run of O2 sensors in 2004, could be a bad batch of TPMS sensors. If a shipment was overheated (dark container on the top of the stack on the boat) it could have damaged the batteries.

I have one sensor on my '16 Corolla that intermittently drops to ~10psi. Temperature reading is steady, if a bit low, but consistent. I had two times that the TPMS light came on, pulled over and found no anomalies. A month or two later I swapped out my Entune for a Pioneer with a Maestro and that told me the story.
Going to be needing tires in the next 10,000 or so, so I'll replace that sensor when I do those.

It works for the most part, but I can't use the TPMS "Alert" feature of the Pioneer because when the sensor drops, it triggers the alert and the screen jumps from the map or radio to the TPMS/CEL screen.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
In my experience I have to agree with Rich on the bad TPMS sensor batch, in 16yrs of driving 4 Toyotas I haven't had any TPMS issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having a similar issue in my '13 RAV4 XLE AWD. Low pressure light was coming on intermittently, I figured I just needed to add some air (now that it's winter). Finally got around to doing so this morning; tires were around 29 or 30 PSI, and I inflated them all to 33.

After inflating though one of the tires was leaking through the stem! I screwed the cap on tightly (stopped the leak temporarily) and drove it to the nearest tire / automotive place. They told me that some part was broken inside the stem and they would have to replace the entire stem and pressure thing (about $100 - I'm assuming it's this part). Well they did that, and the tire is no longer leaking, but he can't get the pressure reading to "link up" to the computer and the dash light is perpetually on.

Anyone have any ideas? Will this just fix itself after driving for a while? Is there a TPMS reset button somewhere?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The new TPMS sensor has to be registered in the system which can only be done with Techstream on a laptop or by Toyota service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The new TPMS sensor has to be registered in the system which can only be done with Techstream on a laptop or by Toyota service.
Dang.. I was hoping that was just for newer models. I think the guys at the shop didn't have TechStream... he was using something else. So long story short I HAVE to use TechStream? Do you think the dealer would charge me just to register a new sensor? Could I do this myself somehow (for free)?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dang.. I was hoping that was just for newer models. I think the guys at the shop didn't have TechStream... he was using something else. So long story short I HAVE to use TechStream? Do you think the dealer would charge me just to register a new sensor? Could I do this myself somehow (for free)?
Did the tire shop write down the sensor id number on your receipt?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-J2534-Diagnostic-Cable-For-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-TIS-Techstream-V10-30-29/282416095093?epid=2236966507&hash=item41c14f9f75:g:nl8AAOSwe6FaHQQ3

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
There are other tools that may work like the https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4 , if you go to the dealer the cost will be anywhere from free to $100 or so, they just charge flat rate time, my dealer has not charged me when making customization changes if done in conjunction with a regular service, but each dealer is different. You need the serial number on the new sensor, it has to be recorded prior to installation AFAIK, can't be seen once inside the wheel, hopefully the installer did that for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did the tire shop write down the sensor id number on your receipt?
That was the next question I had... I haven't actually received a receipt (or paid) yet because they said to bring it back later this week when the service manager was in and they'd complete the job. I know they kept the old part and the new box though because I was looking at it and he said he needed to hold onto it. I hope they kept track of the sensor IDs though.

Thanks for the video; I saw that on another post but it's applicable here as well. Will see if I can get TechStream running on my laptop since it sounds like the tire shop wont be able to complete this on their own.

I guess I'll need the OBD2 - USB cord as well. Does the one you linked to on eBay come with the software? I was looking at this cable on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Tell the tire shop that you NEED the Sensor ID number. They put it in so they should have to unmount the tire to get it for you. Once you have the ID number you can register it with techstream when you get it . Just make sure you write down ALL the sensor ID numbers Before you register the new sensor.

You can other things with techstream also like adding another key. Search Techstream here to find many threads on what it can do.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Be aware that Techstream requires a 32bilt laptop, there are work arounds to get it to work on a Win10 64bit machine, but it's much simpler on an XP or Win7 32bit laptop if you have one, I just bought a used laptop myself, Techstream is all that's loaded on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Be aware that Techstream requires a 32bilt laptop, there are work arounds to get it to work on a Win10 64bit machine, but it's much simpler on an XP or Win7 32bit laptop if you have one, I just bought a used laptop myself, Techstream is all that's loaded on it.
Interesting. What about running Win7 32bit through VMWare?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts