Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2019 RAV4 XLE AWD, approx 8000 miles.
7-8 days back, I noticed TPMS light ON in my dash. I thought, it was normal in cold weather and hence took the car to COSTO to get the tire pressure adjusted. Once done, the TPMS light went OFF. Now, fast forward a few days, this morning - I see the light back ON again.

Note - One day before the light came ON, I observed continuous hissing sound from near the right rear wheel. But, I somehow ignored it (at this point, it looks like - the tire may have been leaking?). I don't hear that hissing sound now though.

Do you have any clue - what could be the problem?
If the Tire has a hole, is it covered by the tire manufacturer? The car was purchased slightly less than an year back.

I am not a car savvy person. I will either need to take the car to the Toyota dealership or COSTCO auto shop.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The last time I had an issue with a tire pressure light that kept coming on was when I had a nail in the side wall of the tire. I couldn't see it since it was on the inside wall of the tire. In other words, the side of the tire facing the inside of the fender. Since it was in the the sidewall, the tire had to be replaced. If you're hearing hissing, you might want to check the valve stem. Take the cap off and wet your finger with saliva. Touch the valve stem to see if there is bubbling. It could be a loose valve stem seal. They thread in and could be loose. Costco should be able to tighten it for you if it's leaking. Regarding the tire warranty, you'll need to talk to the dealership you bough the RAV from; tire warranty might have been included in your purchase. If it's a nail, usually, road hazard repairs are not covered.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Take the car to Costco or whoever ASAP and fix that leaking tire! Many shops will repair simple punctures at no charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Took to costco and turned out that there is a nail on the inside wall of the passenger side rear tire. Can't be fixed. Getting a new tire tomorrow from local tire shop (Costco doesn't carry Firestone tires).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Took to costco and turned out that there is a nail on the inside wall of the passenger side rear tire. Can't be fixed. Getting a new tire tomorrow from local tire shop (Costco doesn't carry Firestone tires).
Well nothing like hitting the nail on the head ?. Sorry, I could resist. In fact, that was the exact same tire I had to have replaced too.

Reactions: Lindenwood

·
Registered
193 Posts
If AWD you may have to shave the new tire to match the same diameterwith the other tires. With only 8000 miles on the other tires it may not be needed.

Frank 2015 XLE AWD with 29K miles.

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
If AWD you may have to shave the new tire to match the same diameterwith the other tires. With only 8000 miles on the other tires it may not be needed.

It's not a Subaru! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, that is a question I had. I probably read somewhere in internet earlier. Then, my colleague at work brought this up as well. He had a mazda and he was asked to replace all 4 tires.

However, the costco mechanic didn't raise any such concern. He didn't want to replace just one tire with different brand. He offered to replace both rear wheel tires with different brands. But, he suggested that, given the other tires are almost brand new, the best bet would be to find a same brand tire and replace only one.
The gentleman who was driving the uber to costco, also mentioned that - with 8000 miles the other tires are like virgins.
Will see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well nothing like hitting the nail on the head ?. Sorry, I could resist. In fact, that was the exact same tire I had to have replaced too.
Yes, one of those sudden unseen unplanned expenses (especially, after ThanksGiving shopping ;))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts