Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a 2011 Toyota RAV4 that just recently got tire replacement (only the 4 tires). I bought the tires from Costco on January 11, 2020. About two weeks later, my TPMS light sensor started flashing for a minute or so, then stayed on. I brought it back to Costco, and they told me that my original TPMS sensors have crapped out since the RAV4 is already 9 years old. On January 31, 2020, Costco replaced all 5 TPMS sensors (including the spare tire sensor) with new ones (guessing aftermarket sensors). I left the tire center without the light (blinking or steady) and drove home. But the following morning on my way to work, approximately 30 minutes into my drive, the TPMS light started blinking again for a minute or so, then stayed on. I went back to Costco, and they scanned the sensors, and said they are all working and are communicating okay. We did that for the next 5 days straight. I leave Costco without TPMS light on, then come back the following afternoon with it flashing then staying on. It is FRUSTRATING to say the least. I finally said, remove all sensors and refund me the money ... which Costco did. I figured I would have a better chance at getting good aftermarket TPMS sensors from a specialty tire center (chain or not). I paid $320 to replace all 5 sensors at Costco. Discount Tire quoted me $370. And my local Toyota dealership quoted me $940 plus tax for all 5 sensors!!! I went to Discount Tire yesterday afternoon (February 10, 2020), and they installed 5 new TPMS sensors (guessing they are also aftermarket). I left with new sensors and a hope that I may never see another flashing TPMS light again. No luck. 30 minutes into my drive to work today, my TPMS sensor started flashing for a minute, then stayed on. Could it be something else wrong with the RAV4? I am on my wits end, but I am planning to take the vehicle back to Discount Tires after work again to see if they can magically figure out what's wrong or why the new 5 sensors are not communicating properly. Anyone had the same experience? Any input will help! :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
I kinda doubt the sensors themselves are the problem or that the original ones had failed. The originals are still working fine on my '06 with 145K miles.
What you'll need to do is have the TPMS ECU codes read with an All Codes scanner. I recently used mt Autel scanner on three different Toyotas, all with the TPMS light on, and got three different results. Hopefully what I found can be helpful.

1. Our 2006 RAV4 Limited read "No Faults" so I suspect the spare is low. The car hasn't been driven in a month+ and is currently at a body shop for a deer encounter repair. I'll check the spare and all tires when I get it home.

2. A 2011 RAV4 Limited I test drove last week. I got codes for no signal from wheels 1, 2, 3 and 4. Since the car had Base steel wheels I assumed the sensors the car was programmed to went with the original alloys.

3. A 2011 Sienna I bought for some friends. The light was on when I picked it up at a used car dealer but all tires were good and the price was right so I bought it anyway. I gave a code for "No signal from TPMS receiver."

I'd suggest have the TPMS codes read at the dealer, an independent shop or stopping by my house in CT to determine the fault(s).

An alternate path is bypassing the system with a 3.3K resistor to keep the light off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts