Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my TPMS light is on for no reason and I once found a very helpful thread detailing how to use a 3.3K ohm resistor in the electrical connector to the TPMS to keep the system happy and turn the light off forever. I bought a pack of resistors and am eager to perform the hack, but now can't find the thread. Could someone be kind enough to point me to that thread? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
What year is the car? How old are the sensors in the wheels? You may be doing yourself a total disservice by hacking. There is obviously a reason the light is on.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah that light is on for a reason...you don't have to add a resistor to turn the light off...I googled how to turn off the tpms and it came right up...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's a 2007. Yes, the batteries in the sensors in the wheels are probably dead. Local Toyota dealer says they would be more than happy to fix the problem for me and say that it shouldn't be more than $400 or so. Wow, that's swell. $400 to fix a problem that never existed before the advent of TPMS. Somehow in my 35 years of owning and driving cars I've amazingly enough been able to discern when my tires are under inflated all by myself. Of course the light is on for a reason. For the same reason there is a permanent tag on your hair dryer that says "don't use this product in the shower or bath tub". Because there are lots of people in this world that are just that fricking stupid. The problem with trying to idiot proof the entire world is, well, it leads to bigger idiots. But for those of us fortunate enough to have the ability to think for ourselves, things like this only become a nuisances when they fail. I am a degreed Electrical Engineer. I have verified the procedure is safe and prudent (unless you can't tell when your tire is going flat). I implemented the fix yesterday and have reverted back to the days of pre-TPMS. Maybe next they can make wind shield wipers and head lights that come on automatically. You know, just in case you don't know when to turn them on yourself.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When my TPMS batteries die I'm just going to put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and forget about it...or being a red neck maybe I'll use duct tape.:smile

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tfret: your post cracked me up. I'm confused why this isn't an option and now mandatory too and don't plan to fix mine when the batteries die. I like that resistor fix too.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Maybe next they can make wind shield wipers and head lights that come on automatically. You know, just in case you don't know when to turn them on yourself.

Yeah, those already are available, probably for people who may not have what it takes to notice when driving conditions require the use of lights or when it's actually raining and wipers are needed. At least according to Transport Canada Canadian RAV owners don't have to endure the idiocy of TPMS - perhaps they're more intelligent than many US drivers and are given credit for being so . . .

Reactions: BeBoppingBecka

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Yep - a lot of us 4.3 owners have been aware of those posts and pics and they've been available for several years, but I don't believe that we should have to deal with the issue in the first place - nanny government again! I had to spend 30 minutes with a new hedge trimmer to disable all of the nanny "safety" bits so that I could actually use the trimmer reasonably easily.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Tpms is not there to tell you that a tire is flat...it's there to let you know it's below the recommended operating pressure...once tires lose a little pressure they become less efficient and therefore more expensive to operate...also when tires are not fully inflated they flex more and this flexing will eventually cause belt failure...I do agree that all these added features just cause people to become more and more dependant on technology and less able to do anything for themselves...a lot of people are gonna be real sorry once the apocalypse arrives...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts