Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2016 RAV4 limited bought in the US in NY. In the manual, it says if the car is equipped with tpms sensor, there should be a button to reset it under the steering wheel. I can't find any button so I am now wondering if my car is indeed equipped with the sensor or not? If it is where is the reset button exactly.
Thanks for any help,
Amish

·
Registered
422 Posts
Its there but its extremely hard to find. Had to take a photo with my phone to locate it

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
A US Limited model certainly does have it. You pretty much have to stand on your head to find it.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Looks like the spring towards the left has rust on it already?
If you mean the dark yellow spot, that's just color coding paint IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics

Sounds good. I will clearly need to fiddle down there to find it. Electrocution hazard anybody :laugh

The weird thing is that I tried to buy snow tires bridg estone bli zak from tire rack but it did not list any tpms transmitter for that car so I got really confused. Anybody knows why

Contacting my dealership (Dorshel, Rochester NY) is useless. It's like they have 1 service guy that answers question on the phone and it always goes to voice mail.

1) Is there a way to disable the tpms light if I install tires without a sensor.
2) Is there anything bad that will happen.

Amish

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just ordered some Blizzak DM-V2s (same winter tires I use on our '01 Dakota) in a -1 17" wheel/tire combo from Tire Rack and they gave me the option to include 315MHz TPMS transmitters in the package, though the order is presently held up because the TPMS transmitters are out of stock, expected to be in stock tomorrow of all days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Save the money on the sensors and just drive with the light on for a few months. I did that with my last car for 4 winters. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry for the ignorant question. What is the function of the "TPMS Reset Switch"?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sorry for the ignorant question. What is the function of the "TPMS Reset Switch"?
That sets the starting point for the low pressure warning. If any tire falls 5psi below the set amount you get the light. Using the reset will establish the baseline.

I like to pump the tires up a couple extra psi, then reset, then let a couple psi out. That way I get a light when one falls 2-3 psi lower.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rats! I was hoping it was something like resetting/registering the TPMS sensor serial numbers into the computer when I switch wheels, so that I wouldn't need the TechStream software to do it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but the transmitters are part of the tire and not the wheel /rim?
Neither. The TPMS transmitter is in the valve stem assembly, which mounts into the rim.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Neither. The TPMS transmitter is in the valve stem assembly, which mounts into the rim.
Kinda what I imagined. So why would one need new sensors when the tire is changed? Wouldn't the current sensors work and could be reused with different tires?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Kinda what I imagined. So why would one need new sensors when the tire is changed? Wouldn't the current sensors work and could be reused with different tires?
Yes, you can reuse the sensors with new tires. In this case, they charge a fee to replace the little gasket and o-ring that seal it to the rim. However, each sensor has a 3V lithium cell with a life span of about 10 years. So, if your sensors are 7 or 8 years old, they could fail at any time.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Correct, new tires work just fine on the factory rims with the original sensors. The issue arises when changing rims either for looks or for snow tires as used each winter by our northern members.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tire pressure reset switch on 2017 RAV4 XLE

Could someone highlight where the switch actually is in the pictures that were posted? i still can't figure out where it is. thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts