Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So we took the car into America's Tire for balancing/rotation since we were coming up on the 5-6k mark and also the TPMS light lit up this past week as I was driving (it blinked rapidly then stayed lit).

Apparently the cause of this was that 3 out of 5 sensors are completely dead and 1 has super low battery. There's only one tire/wheel where the sensor is still functional.

America's Tire said it would cost $60 (for the part) + $15 (for labor) for each wheel including the spare plus another $19 (for something else, possibly a warranty? Not sure). So just coming up on $400 (I think over after tax). This seems pretty steep in general. Is it really necessary to get these sensors replaced in this situation?

It definitely costs more at the dealership. Could I just order aftermarket or oem parts/sensors online and pay my mechanic to install them instead. Even with this route, I'd estimate it costing around $200 or so to have everything done.

If I had all the right tools (like jack stands, a proper jack, chocks, tire changer, etc) I'd have no issue doing this myself (after viewing some Youtube vids). But it looks like one of those PITA type of activities (where it takes you 10 hours vs the 1 hour you envisioned it taking because it "seemed easy" on Youtube LOL) that could get me in trouble, especially putting a car out of commission.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they out of warranty?
I'm not sure - how would you determine this? What is the normal warranty for TPMS sensors? The guy at the shop said that normally these things have a 5-6 year lifespan so it seemed he was implying that our sensors had lasted longer than expected.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Standard warranty is 3 years/36k miles (5 years /60k miles on the powertrain). Unless there is some kind of extended warranty.
This is posted in the 4.5, so we are assuming it's a 2019/2020 RAV. It's a new car, so it should have the free Toyota care. Tire rotation and first couple of oil changes are free.
My personal option, the TPMS part is not a wear part so it should be a Toyota warranty. Some dealer may be a little shady and may say tire re-balancing is not included. I would put up a fight over that.

If not under warranty (perhaps posted in the wrong sub-forum), I would just leave it as is until the next tire change and check it with a tire pressure gauge the old school way for now. At that point, they would only charge you for the TPMS module and not any extra labor. Other than that, shop around (Costco, Distcount tire, BigO). Maybe this article may help: TPMS Warning Light? Replace your TPMS Sensors for Cheap

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Standard warranty is 3 years/36k miles (5 years /60k miles on the powertrain). Unless there is some kind of extended warranty.
This is posted in the 4.5, so we are assuming it's a 2019/2020 RAV. It's a new car, so it should have the free Toyota care. Tire rotation and first couple of oil changes are free.
My personal option, the TPMS part is not a wear part so it should be a Toyota warranty. Some dealer may be a little shady and may say tire re-balancing is not included. I would put up a fight over that.

If not under warranty (perhaps posted in the wrong sub-forum), I would just leave it as is until the next tire change and check it with a tire pressure gauge the old school way for now. At that point, they would only charge you for the TPMS module and not any extra labor. Other than that, shop around (Costco, Distcount tire, BigO). Maybe this article may help: TPMS Warning Light? Replace your TPMS Sensors for Cheap

Good luck!
Aghhh, I posted in the wrong place... :T Thought I clicked on the right area for the older gen models (this is a 2009 Rav4 lol).

In any case, yea I'm leaning towards just having them replaced at the next tire change. Question: will places like America's Tire install/change out the TPMS sensor if I provide them? EDIT: Duh the link you provided seems to indicate that they will :)

I noticed there are different brands of these sensors, like MobileTron and Denso. I'm familiar with Denso because they manufacture a lot of OEM replacement parts. Is it OK getting different branded TPMS sensors though? Amazon.com : tpms

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not sure - how would you determine this? What is the normal warranty for TPMS sensors? The guy at the shop said that normally these things have a 5-6 year lifespan so it seemed he was implying that our sensors had lasted longer than expected.
The set on my 2011 FJ Cruiser are original and still working after 9 years...for now. They'll get replaced when I replace the tires however because sooner or later, one or all will go dead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased new rims/TPMS from Discount Tire for my 2020 LE. I purchased from them, in part, because their sensor prices were nearly half that of another other major tire store. They worked for 1.5 days, then dash light came on. Apparently there are significant problems with non-OEM tire sensors on 2019-2020 models, particularly those with keyed ignition (not push button models). So, they're going to reinstall Toyota parts but hooking me up with a fair price. My suggestion? Get Toyota TPMS sensors the first time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After my 2006 had four flats that were caused by the OEM TPMS valves rotting out, I had them all replaced with Schrader after market valve stems. After that I had no problems with them at all. The OEM stems cost $130 each plus mounting cost. The Schrader valves were $50 each plus mounting cost. The OEM valves were aluminum clamped to a steel wheel, which is why they rotted out. The Schrader valves were rubber, and they lasted a long time... until I traded in the car in February anyway.

The Schrader valves are blank valves that can be put into any vehicle. When they install them, they flash code into them to make them work with whatever vehicle you have. The programming equipment is expensive, so not all tire places will offer them. I got mine at Town Fair Tire.

Here is a link.

Schrader Valves

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,609 Posts
Just FYI the TPMS sensors on my 2008 Limited are still going strong after 11 1/2 years and 3 sets of tires. The lithium battery in the sensor is supposed to have a 10 year life span.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts