Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed a deposit down on a RAV4 Hybrid Limited being manufactured in Canada and have a VIN number. The scheduled build date is May 29th. My question is do we Consumers have a way to track delivery process using the VIN number?

Thanks for any positive responses.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a RAV4 Limited hybrid on order with a dealer in my state (Virginia). It had a production VIN that was temporary, and I was given the new/permanent vehicle VIN today. It was built yesterday 5/21 (I originally placed an order/deposit for the buildout on 5/9). The only way I've been able to receive those details and updates is through my contact person at the dealer. He emailed me a report that i'm assuming is only available to the dealer, showing specific dates of either completion or expected dates, such as the actual assembly date, factory-to-port prep, shipping date etc. My contact assured me that he would send me the updated information (e.g. shipping date) as it happens. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does your VIN work on that site? When my car came off the line, I was given a VIN, but checking that VIN on the site does not give much info. It doesn't say much other than the trim and colour. There is no build date. Even the "selling dealer" is not where I bought the car (it shows a dealer in Texas, but I'm in Canada).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a RAV4 Limited hybrid on order with a dealer in my state (Virginia). It had a production VIN that was temporary, and I was given the new/permanent vehicle VIN today. It was built yesterday 5/21 (I originally placed an order/deposit for the buildout on 5/9). The only way I've been able to receive those details and updates is through my contact person at the dealer. He emailed me a report that i'm assuming is only available to the dealer, showing specific dates of either completion or expected dates, such as the actual assembly date, factory-to-port prep, shipping date etc. My contact assured me that he would send me the updated information (e.g. shipping date) as it happens. Hope that helps.

Ok that might explain why the VIN I was provided on a Hybrid I placed a deposit on wasn't registering with Toyota or is a "temporary"/production VIN ( I think). It's shipping from Japan...... Hmm... I emailed the dealership to provide an update since doing paperwork out of state.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Ok that might explain why the VIN I was provided on a Hybrid I placed a deposit on wasn't registering with Toyota or is a "temporary"/production VIN ( I think). It's shipping from Japan...... Hmm... I emailed the dealership to provide an update since doing paperwork out of state.
I am learning along with you and am appreciative of the knowledgeable users on here. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes definitely keep following up with the dealer, especially since the VIN that they originally say is your vehicle order, may or may not be the same VIN that ends up on the vehicle, either due to factory production or dealer swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Spoke to my dealer today and it was confirmed my car was built yesterday ( May 24). The VIN number I was given must be the temporary one as the website will not accept it. The arrival date is around June 20th.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The VIN I have from the Dealer does not work. I logged into Toyota and plugged in the 17 digit VIN. Nothing comes up. It starts with a J which means it is being assembled in Japan. However it does not have 6 digits at the end which is the serial number. It has a letter? I assume this is the assembly VIN?

Dealership quoted me a True Car Quote with with the VIN but does not register. Have any of you had this issue. Appears reading this Thread that if still in Japan or not shipped, you can still login with VIN.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the last 6 characters of the VIN contains any letters, such as F, it is a "factory" or production VIN, not the vehicle VIN which has to have all numbers. The dealer should be able to look that up and get the permanent vehicle VIN.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got an update from my dealer yesterday (5/28). My RAV4 was shipped from Canada on 5/24, it is arriving at a rail yard in Maryland today 5/29 (about an hour's drive from the dealer). So the total elapsed time from order to delivery will be less than 1 month (I originally ordered it on 5/9).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad to hear, I'm not the only one - we've had a RAV4 Hybrid Limited on order since 5/28 and the process has been mind boggling. I mean I can track a $15 pizza down to what they're doing with it and where to the minute, but a $40k car is some sort of black box w/ no info in or out. Based on the dealers original estimates, I got two bank loan approvals and have had to let them expire. Then about 2 weeks ago they called and said Toyota had cancelled all orders w/ adaptive headlights as they were discontinuing that feature, but had not communicated that to the dealers properly or given the option of just completing the order w/out that minor feature. We finally got a VIN today and supposedly it will be here w/in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,132 Posts
Hokie, are you in VA? I can still configure Adaptive Headlights on the toyota web site when I build a Limited so I wonder at the veracity of the dealer. They do want to sell you now what they have lest you go elsewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered my RAV4 Hybrid Limited in VA with the adaptive headlights around 5/28. It was built around 7/4 in Canda and I took delivery on the 19th.
I did initially have a temporary VIN but the dealer provided the actual VIN once the build was scheduled in Toyota's sytem….

Sure wish I did not have to choose between the adaptive headlights and the panoramic moonroof!

I'm glad to hear, I'm not the only one - we've had a RAV4 Hybrid Limited on order since 5/28 and the process has been mind boggling. I mean I can track a $15 pizza down to what they're doing with it and where to the minute, but a $40k car is some sort of black box w/ no info in or out. Based on the dealers original estimates, I got two bank loan approvals and have had to let them expire. Then about 2 weeks ago they called and said Toyota had cancelled all orders w/ adaptive headlights as they were discontinuing that feature, but had not communicated that to the dealers properly or given the option of just completing the order w/out that minor feature. We finally got a VIN today and supposedly it will be here w/in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hokie, are you in VA? I can still configure Adaptive Headlights on the toyota web site when I build a Limited so I wonder at the veracity of the dealer. They do want to sell you now what they have lest you go elsewhere.
No, I'm in NC - I wondered about it just being an excuse too, but don't know what they would have to gain - it sounds more like Toyota has a messed up a back-end ordering system - just the fact that you can apparently only get adaptive headlights OR a sunroof is bizarre and even more so that which feature you chose determined if the car is from Canada or Japan. My RAV is coming from Japan, and I was told from the onset that they don't make hybrids in Canada, so that's confusing as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hokie,
My Hybrid Limited with Adaptive Headlights (and Weather and Tech) was ordered in northern Virginia on July 11. It was built in Canada this week and is expected at the dealer by August 26. After browsing inventories for two months, I took advice from this forum to go to a high volume dealer with a large allotment to decrease the time between deposit and delivery, which I did. I live in Ohio. Hybrids are just trickling in slowly here, and Limiteds are rare, let alone Limiteds with my preferred colors and packages. The highest volume dealer in my area is small compared to ones on the coasts. I got a VIN the day I put down the deposit.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts