Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find this online but is there a diagram of how the air flow for the traction battery go after starting from the right footwell of the rear passenger?

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
170 Posts
I can't find this online but is there a diagram of how the air flow for the traction battery go after starting from the right footwell of the rear passenger?
The Car Care Nut has a video on this, the fan sucks air from the right corner and it goes over the battery packs and down and out the bottom of the vehicle, and somehow it is protected from water coming in that way.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to support that but I don't see an outlet unless it's the entire bottom that's opened. I'm looking for an outlet to perhaps add a switchable suction fan to support the blower to solve my current warm traction battery issue I'm coming up against every 5th drive. Been in lockdown so I've driven 30km in the past 5 weeks and experienced heat soak & inadequate cooling performance not related to filter.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What is "heat soak" ?

I did a quick search of the forums and didn't find much related to traction batteries... Also, it seems like you shouldn't be having overheating problems with such low distance traveling ? If you are, I'd be looking for solutions beyond adding cooling fans...

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
671 Posts
Gosh! I thought hybrids were supposed to be so wonderful and with much less problems than gas models. Hybrid fanatics and hyperbole.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It seems to support that but I don't see an outlet unless it's the entire bottom that's opened. I'm looking for an outlet to perhaps add a switchable suction fan to support the blower to solve my current warm traction battery issue I'm coming up against every 5th drive. Been in lockdown so I've driven 30km in the past 5 weeks and experienced heat soak & inadequate cooling performance not related to filter.
How hot is the interior of your car?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To answer my own question (maybe) I took the rear seat out and it appears the air flows out the top of the left side of the traction battery and not plumbed anywhere else trapping the air under the seat with a very little bit leaking into the rear luggage compartment. Anyone else know of any other idea of other vent outlet?
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
757 Posts
To answer my own question (maybe) I took the rear seat out and it appears the air flows out the top of the left side of the traction battery and not plumbed anywhere else trapping the air under the seat with a very little bit leaking into the rear luggage compartment. Anyone else know of any other idea of other vent outlet?
I can tell you how it works in a Prius. Maybe the Rav is similar. With the Prius the warm air from the battery flows into the spare tire well area (under the floor of the cargo area, then out a vent on the left side just behind the left rear wheel. There is no ducting to bring the air to that vent but air has to go that way because the cargo floor prevents it from going out any other way.

Believe it or not, I found this out because mice have been getting into the spare tire area. I found the vent and think the mice have been getting in through it.

One thing you might try is completely taking out the cargo area floor and getting a sense of air flow there when the vehicle is in ready mode.

I'll try to post a pic of the vent later today.

·
Registered
757 Posts
So here are the pics. The vent is covered by duct tape as I try to prevent the mice from getting in, so far unsuccessful. I'm not worried about blocking the vent because I've removed the cargo area floor, so there is plenty of room for the warm air to dissipate.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Vehicle

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,683 Posts
So here are the pics. The vent is covered by duct tape as I try to prevent the mice from getting in, so far unsuccessful. I'm not worried about blocking the vent because I've removed the cargo area floor, so there is plenty of room for the warm air to dissipate.

View attachment 172821

View attachment 172822
Use a screen so air flows but mice don't.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That vent you’ve circled should be a series of shutters (like a house) that just allowed air to pass when the doors are closing and open/close freely. It’s got nothing to do with the air flow output of the traction battery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Use a screen so air flows but mice don't.
I do plan to do that.
That vent you’ve circled should be a series of shutters (like a house) that just allowed air to pass when the doors are closing and open/close freely. It’s got nothing to do with the air flow output of the traction battery.
So the battery just vents into the hatch area?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts