Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent Consumer Report review they commented that (and I paraphrase) in slippery conditions the traction control brings the vehicle to a crawl. Anybody out there experience this?

That's a little disconcerning. I haven't driven my RAV in "slippery conditions" yet.

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
I've driven offroad in some pretty sloppy stuff, other than the slip indicator coming on and the braking noise, there was no hesitation or slowing that I noticed, of course, I was already going slow to begin with.

Tim

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I drove it in about 8 inch of snow, the VSC is sort of too controling. When I tried to have some fun with the RAV, the VSC took over and cut off power pretty quick. My wife likes the VSC system because it keeps her from spinning out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stability control is a different system from traction control. Stability control keeps the vehicle from sliding around .. traction control is intended to limit wheel spin. The C.R. comment seems to suggest that the traction control system, which among other things uses the brakes to stop wheel spin, was so intrusive that it slowed the vehicle down to a crawl.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Traction control cutting off too much power has been a common complain ever since traction control has been intoduce. For most of us who like to power their way thru the slippery stuff, the traction control will slap your hands and take over. Having a 4WD system and the 4WD lock button helps in this case.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Welll I think both traction control and VSC are working and using the brakes and power control in slippery conditions.

It really does not matter what function is slowing the car down, it happens in any case

S

·
0 Posts
thecat said:
In the recent Consumer Report review they commented that (and I paraphrase) in slippery conditions the traction control brings the vehicle to a crawl. Anybody out there experience this?

That's a little disconcerning. I haven't driven my RAV in "slippery conditions" yet.
yeah, its one of those things - crawl or jump to the ditch :).
But thats why there is an 4WD lock button which should make it work nicely.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am not sure lock overrides traction. I think it might just keep the AWD feeding all 4 wheels but I suspect if there is spinning the traction control will still be in play

1 - 10 of 10 Posts