Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time came to trade my 2007 Sport V6. This was a bit unexpected as I had hoped to keep the vehicle for a few more years yet. But alas, I've had the dreaded slapping sound from the faulty cam gears. It's been about a year with that sound. I could not figure out where it came from until I stumbled onto the TSB and a few videos with the sound. Mine was intermittent on start up. Honestly, it was hard to predict when it would happen. A few days ago, I started the Rav up in the morning when it was a bit cool...heard the noise. At first, I thought it was because I parked on an incline as my driveway is a bit steep but turns out to not be the case.

After careful consideration, I decided to trade it before anything catastrophic happened. I've had it since new and did a lot of the maintenance on it myself. It's definitely been through quite a bit with me so will be sad to see it go. The cost of having the dealer do the repair would have exceeded the trade in value of my vehicle as I would have needed to do the spark plugs and the rear coil banks at the same time. While the engine was out, I would likely have the water pump, idle pulley, tensioner and belts replaced as well. My Rav has 162,900 km. I considered doing it myself but the time wasn't really worth it.

I traded mine for a 2012 Sport V6 with sunroof. So pretty much the same as mine except it came with a few other nice upgrades (bluetooth, mileage calculator, automatic headlights, steering wheel controls for the stereo, ability to switch off traction control, etc). I got $4,000 for my trade in and picked up the newer vehicle for $23,000. This is all in CDN dollars. The mileage on it was only 52,000km. It was a lease return and had no accidents on it. I thought I got a pretty good deal. The reason for my low trade in value was I had 2 accident claims on it (not my fault) that totaled $15,000. I did consider selling it privately but I just did not want the hassle or assume the risks. A part of me is still wishing I had kept it and just fixed it up myself.

Here's to new adventures!

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Sounds to me like you used your head and did the right thing.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Congrats! You made the right choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Sounds like a great choice, especially under those circumstances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts