Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I traded in the best car I've ever owned, my 2011 V-6 Pearl White Blizzard AWD Rav4 Limited that MSRP'd for 36k in '11. I loved that car, to me it was a perfect combo of everything I ever wanted in an SUV-----an eye popping glass like color, perfect grey leather interior, nice size (for my wife & me), sports car type handling for an SUV(eh, kinda)-----almost any turn at almost any speed, that great 10000sq. ft. basement(lol), no problems mechanically, and that CRAZY fast 268hp V6 power.

To me, Toyota took a perfectly good FORWARD thinking SUV and ruined it by making it a bland, vanilla, under-powered grocery store car that looks like everybody else's, BUT my 2011 could tow an RV, haul my son's 4 wheeler, take it to off road places (I admit it wasn't the best off roader--but at least I COULD climb some pretty hairy grades when I needed to). And that pearl white paint job still turned heads and looked new.

My wife & I drove the '13 when it came out and were so disapointed at the changes-----to us, almost none of them would make us ever want one. We drove the '16, and didn't see anything that was an improvement. We were top 2 in almost every catagory back then. Now the new RAV isn't even top 15. Ya'all know what I mean. I read everybody's comments when the new ones came out. I just stopped posting. Just lurked once a month or so. Why bother since a lot of posters felt the same way as myself, and how could I attack the very car that made me fall in love with the SUV. People had the air let right out of them, 'cause we were so proud of our pre- '13s, comparing them neck and neck, or ranking ours' higher than all of the competition.

So for $10 less per month and by financing the same number of years as the RAV4, we bought a 2016 Autumn Shimmer (dark brown) Lexus NX200t SUV with creme interior. It listed at $43k. We still have the 2013 Corolla S Special Edition Hot Lava orange that looks showroom new, and we're keeping her......forever.

Sorry this is so so long winded. It's part rant & part goodbye (good, he's gone you're thinkin'). But I had to finally say the things I'd been thinking about for years. Bye, and good luck with your Rav's. I sure will miss mine!!

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Just curious why you traded it since it worked so well for you. Was it getting high in the miles department?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Congrats for your new Lexus. I also am curious as to why you decided to trade in your RAV, since you have such high praise for it. Sorry to see you go, but best of luck with your Lexus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We still owed more on the Corolla than they were offering, & they gave us a nice trade in allowance (17k, owed 12k) for the Rav. In another year we couldn't get that high a dollar value for her. We were pushing our luck that nothing would go wrong, & the extended warranty was expiring.

This was probably our last chance to buy a new car and be able to enjoy & care for it, since we're in our mid-sixty's. Oh, and the chance to own a Lexus, too. We origionally took the Corolla to the dealer for the trade, that was the plan....

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
I hope it works out well for you. A smaller interior with less horsepower (premium fuel required? ) and maybe 1 more MPG? Apparently it rides as smoothly as the RAV4 should have done in the first place and has turbo lag. I don't see it myself but if you are happy that's what matters. Not my idea of an upgrade to be frank. I'm glad that you could afford it and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hope it works out well for you. A smaller interior with less horsepower (premium fuel required? ) and maybe 1 more MPG? Apparently it rides as smoothly as the RAV4 should have done in the first place and has turbo lag. I don't see it myself but if you are happy that's what matters. Not my idea of an upgrade to be frank. I'm glad that you could afford it and enjoy your new ride.
Don't forget less ground clearance, less towing capacity, and only a compact spare tire as well. Slower 0-60 time, too (heavier).

Premium fuel is required, though being only a 4-banger it is rated at a couple more Almighty MPG, which would help offset total fuel costs.

At least it should be eminently reliable, being a Lexus (hopefully the all-new turbo engine will be equally reliable).

Not a bad choice. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Good luck and many happy miles with your new ride. Something tells me that there's going to be, if not already, a very happy 2011 RAV owner at your dealer. At 78k, it's just getting started.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...So for $10 less per month and by financing the same number of years as the RAV4, we bought a 2016 Autumn Shimmer (dark brown) Lexus NX200t SUV with creme interior. It listed at $43k...
You laid out a lot of your financial thought process here, so it is fair game to make a comment. You just traded away your cream-puff '11 RAV V6 at 78k miles.

Many here would agree with your disapointment the V6 RAV was discontinued. But many here also wonder why not just hang onto the last best RAV ever made and just pay down the debt on it? You loved your '11 so much and yet traded deeper into debt for what, the Lexus status? We are worlds apart on that. Since RAV4 owners tend to be, let's say frugal and cost conservative, I'm sure many are thinking: that's a lot of debt to carry. The NX appears a nice car, but really worth it?

The only thing I can think is you are so scared the RAV will self-destruct once the extended warranty ends, so you pull out and sell at 5-years ownership. I'm pretty sure the salesman was given huge high-fives by his peers in the dealership when you drove away with the Lexus. Your $5k equity for your RAV was likely written off in the upfront price paid for the NX.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You'll like the Lexus for sure but I went the opposite way recently, back to a Rav4 from a LX470.

My old Lexus was 16 years old and had 213k glorious miles. It still looked great but was finally wearing out. I sold her for almost $8000 and bought an 08 Rav4 Limited, V6 with leather, ect, ect for only $9000 and it had just 113k miles. We paid cash for it and are so happy to have a much newer paid off car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sad to see a fine machine be traded in. I think age is nothing to worry about with the RAV4 (or most Toyotas for that matter). Especially with such low mileage. And Blizzard Pearl even - what an awesome color.

I'm just getting back in which is what brings me here. We had a '06 V6 Limited for a few years, but then had to get a Sequoia for more kids. With a new job I now find myself needing to commute so tonight I put a deposit on an '07 V6 Base with 104K miles. I have no worries about its dependability, and I can't wait to get back to the RAV4 that I've missed these last few years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm with ravn4rad in that I'n not sure I could bring myself to part with a well maintained well running car. But then, that's me.

My celica (bought new) I kept for 12 years and 140,000 miles; only traded in because we had two young sons and needed 4 doors. Oh, how I cried and hated dearest for making me part with this beautiful machine.
The v6 camry (bought new) I kept for 16 years and 275,000 miles. my first v6, and can never go back.
My current silver beast (2010 rav 4 v6) (bought new) only has 70,000 miles. I'm planning on at least 250,000 - 300,000 miles. this is possibly one of the best vehicles ever. 28 mph on the freeway, power, performance, reliability.
These are all the cars I've owned during my working career. probably, one of the reasons I was able to retire early.

I'm not sure people fully realize that cars, if maintained, can last a long time, reliably.

Different things for different folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts