Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts.

I'm sorry to report that my wife and I are on the hunt for the Rav4 replacement. We have very much liked our experience with the Rav4. I was hoping that we would be able to stick it out a couple more years but alas, my forecasting of my tolerance level with 2 kids and a dog in the Rav was way off.

We are looking at picking up either a 2015 Sienna XLE AWD with very low miles or maybe even going with a new 2016 of the same trim level.

I mention we like the rav, and we do... it's just VERY small and in my opinion, had some shortcomings that I'm hoping to get away from with the Sienna (a good example of this is non-lit window/door switches -- a relatively small annoyance, but they add up).

If all goes according to plan this will be the shortest duration I've owned a vehicle and the biggest loss I'll take on one. Right now, it's looking like a pretty significant one, sheesh!

Alas, I have no one to blame but me. I simply did a bad job forecasting the addition of a second kid and what logistical challenges it would bring. On the flipside, for the last 7 weeks we've known we needed something bigger, but couldn't decide what... Highlander? Pilot? Tahoe? Odyssey? I'm now happy to say that we've decided on a Sienna... it's just a matter of getting the right deal.

Anyone who cares to share trade-in stories, well wishes, or even just call me names (unless against forum rules) -- please do!

I'll be sad to go cause I liked this forum, but I'll be happy to move on to the next (bigger) thing!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Sorry to see you contemplating your departure from the forum, but situations such as you are encountering do arise. Best of luck with your new vehicle - at least let us know which one you select and why.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to see you contemplating your departure from the forum, but situations such as you are encountering do arise. Best of luck with your new vehicle - at least let us know which one you select and why.
Ah, thanks. I'll be glad to report back and let everyone know. I was pretty active around here when I first joined, but then life got busy -- the things I was thinking about doing with or to my Rav4 got put aside as I slowly realized we wouldn't have it forever.

At least I got to replace a side mirror on it so that was fun! I installed a hitch too... heh!

·
Registered
548 Posts
At least you are staying with the Toyota family.
Good Luck and Best Wishes to you, and do come back to this forum to visit and say 'Hi', and tell us about the Sienna that you get.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No issues here with your plan. :cool: I like the RAV4, but it does have its' size limitations. The wife drives it most of the time and prefers the smaller dimensions and better gas mileage. I had a 2005 Sienna LE AWD for 10 years and grew very fond of its' capabilities. When it came time to replace it, I couldn't find a better alternative and it is the only option if you want AWD. I upgraded to a 2015 Sienna LE AWD and got an excellent price on the 2005 in trade.

The big downside with the Sienna is the gas mileage. While the 2015 has a bigger, more powerful engine with a 6 speed auto trans vs the 2005 with a 5 speed, both have real world numbers around 19 if you have hilly terrain or a lot of stop and go. The RAV4 is much better in that department.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Get a trailer. Put the kids in the trailer!

Sorry that you will be hit by a serious loss of $$. I am wondering whether an older 4.3 would be better, with the dog in the back. Maybe not.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Our RAV4 barely fits in our garage, but it does, thank goodness. Our 11 Accord is even longer so it has to stay on the one side. Stupid builders keep shrinking the size of the garages.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least you are staying with the Toyota family.
Good Luck and Best Wishes to you, and do come back to this forum to visit and say 'Hi', and tell us about the Sienna that you get.
Will Do!

I'm not a hardcore Toyota loyalist or anything... I'm 32 and have mostly owned Honda vehicles (cars). The Rav4 was our first Toyota. I do appreciate all makes/models and I very much consider myself a "vehicle enthusiast" -- vehicles of all kinds!

But when it comes down to it, Toyota is a very solid brand that is safe and reliable. Plus, the Sienna was the only one with AWD which my wife really appreciates here in NW Ohio.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes. We're trying to get it all figured out before the end of the month since you can get 0% or $1000 cash. Hopefully we pull it off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No issues here with your plan. :cool: I like the RAV4, but it does have its' size limitations. The wife drives it most of the time and prefers the smaller dimensions and better gas mileage. I had a 2005 Sienna LE AWD for 10 years and grew very fond of its' capabilities. When it came time to replace it, I couldn't find a better alternative and it is the only option if you want AWD. I upgraded to a 2015 Sienna LE AWD and got an excellent price on the 2005 in trade.

The big downside with the Sienna is the gas mileage. While the 2015 has a bigger, more powerful engine with a 6 speed auto trans vs the 2005 with a 5 speed, both have real world numbers around 19 if you have hilly terrain or a lot of stop and go. The RAV4 is much better in that department.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad to hear a firsthand account of a longer period of sienna ownership, ha!

I was actually not horribly impressed with the gas mileage figures of the Rav4. I believe the stated number in the city is 22 MPG. We usually float around 21.x. The highway mileage is better and closer to their stated figure.

The other component is that I telecommute to work as I have for the last 3 years. So gas mileage from a cost-perspective isn't as big of a deal to me.

We also live in flatland Ohio so the local sledding hill is the only hill for MILES ha ha.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I like hearing from other Sienna owners. I joined the Sienna forum but it's not very active over there. While the Rav4 is my wife's daily driver, I think she'll love the Sienna MUCH more.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time really comes for need of more space. Sienna should be a great choice to haul more people and stuffs.

Good luck and have fun with the new ride.
Unfortunately for me, the time has come sooner than I expected. I don't feel *as* bad because there was a Sienna on the showroom floor when we bought our Rav4. It was EXPENSIVE and there's no way I would have a) wanted it at the time or b) been able to afford it.

So the path I've taken -- while costly, was not even on the map when I bought the Rav so I can't look back and kick myself *too* hard... :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a trailer. Put the kids in the trailer!

Sorry that you will be hit by a serious loss of $$. I am wondering whether an older 4.3 would be better, with the dog in the back. Maybe not.
LOL I want a trailer! We have a cargo box for the top but I'd probably have to cut holes in it for them to breathe...

J/K!!

The loss of $$ is a damn shame but it is what it is... I'm pretty damn tight and careful with my money in every other aspect so I know I'll be able to recover financially and have a happy family with a new hauler.

In retrospect, a 4.3 Rav4 would have been the better choice for us when we bought 2.5 yrs ago. Hindsight is certainly 20/20.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our RAV4 barely fits in our garage, but it does, thank goodness. Our 11 Accord is even longer so it has to stay on the one side. Stupid builders keep shrinking the size of the garages.
THIS! We live in a neighborhood by our county fairgrounds. On the other side of the fairgrounds is a much larger neighborhood from the same builder. That neighborhood has garages so small that there are cars LINING the streets and always sitting in the driveways. I don't get it. They put 2 car garages on those houses (unfinished, to boot) and you can really only fit 1 car and a bike.

In our neighborhood, they were aiming for more of an "upscale" version of those other slapped-together houses. As such, they made our garages HUGE and finished them... so I have no doubt our Sienna will fit in our garage without problem!

If you have room, maybe a carport? I'm not sure. I would hate if the limiting factor of a larger vehicle was my garage... but I guess that's my neighbor with his F150 Raptor he he he he.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Keep it for daily use.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Sienna is a great vehicle. We sold ours in 2010 and my wife (and dog, lol) still miss it. It's a great value, and even more so if you consider $/cu.ft.

You will also find the Sienna a significant step-up in comfort compared to the RAV, especially in terms of ride and noise level. Sienna is built on a mid-tier (Camry-derived) platform, unlike RAV which is a budget/entry-level type of vehicle. Sienna is designed and built to a higher standard than RAV. It is also way more capable, with decent towing capacity (3500 lb).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Sienna is a great vehicle. We sold ours in 2010 and my wife (and dog, lol) still miss it. It's a great value, and even more so if you consider $/cu.ft.

You will also find the Sienna a significant step-up in comfort compared to the RAV, especially in terms of ride and noise level. Sienna is built on a mid-tier (Camry-derived) platform, unlike RAV which is a budget/entry-level type of vehicle. Sienna is designed and built to a higher standard than RAV. It is also way more capable, with decent towing capacity (3500 lb).
Thanks man, that's great to know. From reading about the Sienna and watching/reading reviews, I gathered it was a bit more "upscale" in terms of materials, comfort, etc.

We're still trying to get a good deal... I'm hoping we find something in the next 7-10 days

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wish!

Unfortunately, we need the money for the trade in AND I already have a 2009 Civic Si and a 2004 Saturn Vue (that is kind of a POS) for me -- and I don't even commute anymore!
You can't get rid of the VUE ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Too bad you can’t pass it on. After 10 years with her first gen RAV, my wife gave it to our son to head off to college. After 4 years with her 2nd gen RAV, she gave that one to our daughter to head off to nursing school.

Good thing we’re out of kids! Couldn’t afford to give away another RAV!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts