Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a trailer brake control unit on a 2014 or any 4.4?
A tutorial would be great but specifically, did you connect it to the hot brake switch wire?
The wiring diagram I have is for a 2011, so I do not know if it is accurate.

Are there any wiring diagrams around for the 2014 limited?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
In the past (4.3) brakes were recommended for 600 or more pounds trailer weight. Not sure about the newer ones. 2014 is rated for 1500 lbs as I recall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read the owner's manual, unbraked tow capacity is 1000lbs, max tow capacity is 1500lbs (except for the Adventure).
yes, the Adventure FWD is rated at 2900# and all other new models are rated at 1500# AWD or FWD.
The engine is the same as all the other 1500# rated versions. Mine is 25HP less (2014). As far as I can determine, everything else is the same except 19" tires vs 17" or 18". The difference is the Adventure is equipped with an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler.
My reasoning, then, is the issue is oil cooling. I installed a transmission oil cooler when I bought it in 2014 because I don't believe the factory unit is sufficient for normal use in any vehicle. After 14 years and 135,000 miles my Honda van's transmission oil looked just changed because of the transmission oil cooler I added when I bought it. That appears to be the primary upgrade for most towing packages.
Therefore, I should be able to tow 2000# with what I have (added transmission oil cooler). I figure added weight to trailer might be ~200-300# max so I should still be good with that. Worst case is, I will have to get an Adventure, which I think are ugly.

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
yes, the Adventure FWD is rated at 2900# and all other new models are rated at 1500# AWD or FWD.
The engine is the same as all the other 1500# rated versions. Mine is 25HP less (2014). As far as I can determine, everything else is the same except 19" tires vs 17" or 18". The difference is the Adventure is equipped with an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler.
My reasoning, then, is the issue is oil cooling. I installed a transmission oil cooler when I bought it in 2014 because I don't believe the factory unit is sufficient for normal use in any vehicle. After 14 years and 135,000 miles my Honda van's transmission oil looked just changed because of the transmission oil cooler I added when I bought it. That appears to be the primary upgrade for most towing packages.
Therefore, I should be able to tow 2000# with what I have (added transmission oil cooler). I figure added weight to trailer might be ~200-300# max so I should still be good with that. Worst case is, I will have to get an Adventure, which I think are ugly.

The Adventure also has a bigger radiator and heavier rear suspension/shocks, there were no 19" wheels on 4th gen Adventure, just on the 2019 which is AWD only, no FWD version. All 4th gen gas models have the same 2AR-FE engine rated at 176hp in the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Adventure also has a bigger radiator and heavier rear suspension/shocks, there were no 19" wheels on 4th gen Adventure, just on the 2019 which is AWD only, no FWD version. All 4th gen gas models have the same 2AR-FE engine rated at 176hp in the US.

I have that pdf and the 2019 pdf. Is there info there that I can't see that tells me that? My problem is I can't find that info in any Toyota publication.
At this point, I am sure your info is correct. Your opinion?? With my 2014 ltd with the tranny oil cooler, do you think I will have an issue with a 2000# tow, without the extra rear springs, bigger radiator, and engine oil cooler? Obviously, pushing it to 3500# would be a big issue. That would put 400# on the hitch and double the stress. But I don't need or expect to get close to that weight.

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
If you keep the tongue weight in check and speed down, you could be fine, but not legal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you keep the tongue weight in check and speed down, you could be fine, but not legal.

thanks for your insite. I finally found both 2014 & 2019 specs. Based on that and stability info, I think I am good to go.

Toyota's specs for the Adventure indicates it has the same springs as the Limited since the weights are the same and the spec does not mention additional spring.

GVWR == Adv = 4705, LTD = 4705, mine = 4485
Curb # == Adv = 3615, LTD = 3620, mine = 3500
Payload == Adv 1090, LTD = 1085, mine = 900
Tow == Adv = 2900 FWD, LTD = 1500#, mine = 1500#

So, my Rav has 27HP less and 22 lb-ft less at lower RPM, a transmission oil cooler, and no engine oil cooler.
I don't have the 1st and 5th gears the 2019s do, and the overall gearing is a little higher than 2019. Differential 3.815 vs 3.177, top gear 0.608 vs 0.673 --- I think the 2014 spec errors with the decimal in the wrong place for 5th & 6th gear with .0608 and .0713. Anyway, the gearing is the same for all 2019 Rav4s so that doesn't affect the tow #.

I have 11.7" ventilated front and 11.2 solid rear disc brakes with 18" wheels.
All 2019s are 12" front and 11.1 rear, and the Adv and LTD have 19" wheels.

The Adventure radiator is 0.1qt bigger with the engine oil cooler or 0.08 qt bigger than mine. Without oil cooler (all the rest of the 2019s) it is 0.06 qt bigger than mine.

The trailer is 2014# with 225# tongue weight. I probably need to add some for propane. But that is above 10%.

Take 350# for passengers, 225# tongue weight, that leaves me with about 300# for clothes and other items.

Some of that may go into the trailer, but weight wise it looks like I am good.

Based on the mechanics of things, it appears that the 1500# tow limit is more a function of oil heat mitigation. If the adventure tow is rated at 2900# FWD then I should be OK with 2200# keeping my tongue weight at 10-12%..

The unknown is will my 1st gear be enough and will it ever run in 6th gear at speed?
Currently, it doesn't want to over 75 on a flat road.

I can monitor my oil & coolant with the Torque app.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed the CURT 56166 Custom Wiring Harness
It was pretty easy to install and came with instructions that were decent enough.

I wired main power back to the battery and the signals were tapped into the brake lights and signals near the back of the car. The only rough patch was the part where I dropped a screw into the body. Took ~30 minutes to find it but that was the longest part.

Like with any interior or body work, just be patient and gentle. Buy a set of interior, plastic pry bars.

I may have taken some pictures or video. If I did I'll try to put them up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
d6stringer
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing