Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Trailer hitch bolts..

5670 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Double G
Hi all,

I was able to get a really good deal on a class3 (525lbs mas gross tongue wt / 3,500 lbs max gross wt.) trailer hitch for my 2018 Rav4 but do not have the bolts.. I read that they have to be special bolts with a weight rating.

Does anyone know where I can get them?
Or what size they are?

I have looked on Amazon and ebay but the screws I saw were different from the ones on sold websites that sell hitches. I also looked on some of those sites but don't see the bolts sold separately.

Thanks!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Hi Killabee, did you ever find your bolts? I just did the same thing for a Uhaul class III hitch. The instructions call for 12mm x 1.25 (i.e. super fine thread) x 40 mm long class 10.9 bolt with yellow zinc finish. I couldn't find anywhere but the equivalent Curt hitch uses the same but 35 mm long which I did find as Dorman part no. 981-637. These are available on lots of auto parts websites (this part no. is a package of 2 bolts). I could only find the conical ribbed washers on etrailer.

regards,
uncle rico

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Killabee, did you ever find your bolts? I just did the same thing for a Uhaul class III hitch. The instructions call for 12mm x 1.25 (i.e. super fine thread) x 40 mm long class 10.9 bolt with yellow zinc finish. I couldn't find anywhere but the equivalent Curt hitch uses the same but 35 mm long which I did find as Dorman part no. 981-637. These are available on lots of auto parts websites (this part no. is a package of 2 bolts). I could only find the conical ribbed washers on etrailer. regards, uncle rico
Hate to bump this, but ran across this thread while trying to get bolts to plug the holes since the dealership removed my aftermarket hitch (long story) but never put the tape or plug back over the holes. A conical ribbed washer is also known as a belleville washer and can be found here as well: Washers - Belleville Washer - BelMetric

· Registered
3 Posts
I installed a Curt Class 3 hitch receiver last year and the included bolts were not the correct size and threads. I went to Lowes and got some Class 10 bolts (M12x1.0x40 I think) just a bit longer and added a thick washer and lock washer. I sprayed the bolts with DGF and installed wet and extra torque. The trailer wiring was a little tricky and the long tail needed 3 wraps around the fame to avoid dragging. I added a Toyota logo cap from Amazon. I have used it 2x for long trips with 4 on board and a cargo basket in the receiver. I have used it 2x to pull a uhaul trailer with a BMW R1200GS. Mileage went down to 12-16 mpg. The ECO needed to be off. Happy with the upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts