Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked under my rav, to check out the trailer hitch mounting block. looks pretty simple, except that my right side bolts are missing! Just two holess in the frame where it looks like they shoud be. The left side has the bolts holding on a eyehole tie down loop looking thing (likely used to tie RAV down during transport from Japan).

Does anyone happen to know the bolt specs? I assume they are not stock home depot type items, the ones on the leftt look pretty serious.

JON

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Reese hitch came with 4 special bolts presumably designed to stand up to the abuse a trailer would put on them. I removed the loop and 2 bolts holding it, and used the 4 new ones. I wouldn't mess with anything but what comes with the hitch. If you don't have those ones, I'd try to find some that were made for that purpose, or of the same strength.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I learned long ago when installing hitches in college... When in doubt, use Grade 8 bolts at the very least. Grade 8 is pretty much standard when it comes to cars, extremely strong bolts. When installing, torque to the specified ratings (65 f-lbs on my hitch).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts