Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: 2010 RAV4 V6 Sport

I've been looking into adding a trailer for a while now, already have the hitch I installed last year but don't have the wiring. I wired my dad's Tacoma last year and it was easy as just plugging in 3 connectors and dropping them out the bottom.

I've been looking into doing this on my RAV4 and the process seems a lot different. It want's me to run a long wire to my battery???? It just seems over complicated, is there a super easy plug and play option? I don't mind spending the few more $$$

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
If you have a 12V outlet in the back you could tap into that for the converter power instead of running wire to the battery.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There is this video from etrailer.com :

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a 12V outlet in the back you could tap into that for the converter power instead of running wire to the battery.
I do have one! So rather than tap into battery, just tap into the positive on that? Genius!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Keep in mind that that rear outlet isn't live power so lights you may want on with the key off like the 4-way flashers may not work. That didn't concern me so I used it.
Also it's only power enough for trailer brake & signal lights and not for heavier usage such as the 12V loads of a camper.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just run power wire from the battery. I ran mine from the back under the plastic covers in the door sills and through a grommet under the dash that came out behind the strut tower to the battery. Don't take shortcuts because it's really not that hard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, the wiring harness I purchased supplied all necessary connections and a fuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts