Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the available trailer hitches have been discussed as well as the pros and cons. I have narrowed it down to the Curt or OEM, leaning more towards the Curt as I don't want to remove the bumper. Do you think the lost ground clearance would ever be an issue for someone doing just regular driving, the only thing the hitch would be used for is a platform bike rack. This is on a 2020 Hybrid LE.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Curt is inexpensive, but if you are thinking of oem you should look at Ecohitch. No cutting and is not any lower than the exhaust tips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ecohitch is almost impossible to find in Canada. It was definitely on my radar but I couldn’t find one here.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
None of the 5th gen hitches available so far reduce ground clearance, they're all over 9", the Curt and Drawtite do affect departure angle tho, but not any significant amount when you consider the tailpipes also affect departure angle, personally I'd rather have the hitch be the limiting feature than the tailpipes, the hitch won't be damaged and could prevent damage to the tailpipes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought my trailer hitch for 2020 limited hybird from e trailer.com .....fit perfect...20 min to install.. they also have wires ..messes up foot unlock for back door.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Canadian here. I bought the Curt from Hitchweb, free shipping. They have the TEKONSHA plug and play harness too. It’s a tad lower than the Ecohitch (the mounting bracket is no lower than the bumper, just the receiver pokes out below the bumper) but info about whether you need to modify the bumper or not is unclear. Some here just mounted the Eco hitch, but their own YouTube videos show cutting the bumper. I would have gone Ecohitch but the cost was 3x the Curt. Btw, I saw a 2019 RAV today with an ugly low hanging hitch with a Toyota receiver cover. It didn’t look like the official hitch but that cover threw me off. Maybe dealers are offering to install something else because of the bumper modification (costly, prone to screwing up the cutting)?

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Canadian here. I bought the Curt from Hitchweb, free shipping. They have the TEKONSHA plug and play harness too. It’s a tad lower than the Ecohitch (the mounting bracket is no lower than the bumper, just the receiver pokes out below the bumper) but info about whether you need to modify the bumper or not is unclear. Some here just mounted the Eco hitch, but their own YouTube videos show cutting the bumper. I would have gone Ecohitch but the cost was 3x the Curt. Btw, I saw a 2019 RAV today with an ugly low hanging hitch with a Toyota receiver cover. It didn’t look like the official hitch but that cover threw me off. Maybe dealers are offering to install something else because of the bumper modification (costly, prone to screwing up the cutting)?
The OEM hitch is the only hitch that require cutting the bumper fascia, even the Ecohitch can be installed without trimming because the fascia is flexible and deflects a little, many have installed it without trimming. As for the Toyota receiver cover plug, it's just an accessory, I've been using the same Toyota cover plug since 2006. On the low hitch you saw, my guess is someone modified a gen 3/4 hitch to fit the gen 5.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have the Curt and use the Allen 4 rack key locked rack, no probs going over dips or bumps, backed the rear wheels over parking curb to raise for easier install.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Have the Curt and use the Allen 4 rack key locked rack, no probs going over dips or bumps, backed the rear wheels over parking curb to raise for easier install.
On other cars I've had problems backing out of driveways, scraping the bike rack against the road. Have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
On other cars I've had problems backing out of driveways, scraping the bike rack against the road. Have you tried that yet?
I think that's a given regardless of what hitch you are using. At my age, it's not always easy to remember to avoid dips and abrupt or steep changes in the road surface.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curt is inexpensive, but if you are thinking of oem you should look at Ecohitch. No cutting and is not any lower than the exhaust tips.
There is no cutting out the bumper to make room? It fits without trimming? I'm looking to install one but someone else told me the Ecohitch still requires a trim of the bumper. Please let me know or if anyone has photos that would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone been able to quantify the MPG impact of installing a hitch? Some of these things are heavy and maybe there is an aero impact, too? I always remove my bike rack from the hitch when not in use, but wonder if I am losing a lot of efficiency simply due to the hitch?

Tx!

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is no cutting out the bumper to make room? It fits without trimming? I'm looking to install one but someone else told me the Ecohitch still requires a trim of the bumper. Please let me know or if anyone has photos that would be great.
Curt fits w/o cutting. I followed duhmojo’s lead exactly and it worked out well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the available trailer hitches have been discussed as well as the pros and cons. I have narrowed it down to the Curt or OEM, leaning more towards the Curt as I don't want to remove the bumper. Do you think the lost ground clearance would ever be an issue for someone doing just regular driving, the only thing the hitch would be used for is a platform bike rack. This is on a 2020 Hybrid LE.

Thanks
Hi
I have a 2020 XSE
I'm also in Canada
I installed the drawtite 1 1/4 inch hitch for the same thing. a bike rack .
.check partscanada.ca
Free shipping and if you don't see what you need? email them. They were helpful for me
Hope that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went with the Curt. It was on sale for $122.99 from etrailer.com including shipping in the States. Ground clearance hasn’t been an issue with my two bike rack. The hitch receiver is approximately .75” lower than the exhaust tips, so negligible in the whole grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
555 Posts
I have an Ecohitch installed. No cutting at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
MayesHayes said:
Sorry, I meant to reply to MayesHayes
I also have the Ecohitch. I tried to show how much it affects the bumper in this video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have eco hitch. Well made and looks great, almost integrated. I choose to cut a notch in fascia, as it was easy. Otherwise it pushes up the bottom of the plastic fascia a good 3/4”. A dremel with cutoff wheel cuts the facia super easy.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
27 Posts
I’m looking at getting the Curt hitch from etrailer or U-Haul. What’s the ground clearance of the Curt hitch vs the OEM? From what I’ve seen, the Curt hitch is ~12”. What’s the OEM clearance?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts