·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
560 Posts

Reactions: zxe038

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know the available trailer hitches have been discussed as well as the pros and cons. I have narrowed it down to the Curt or OEM, leaning more towards the Curt as I don't want to remove the bumper. Do you think the lost ground clearance would ever be an issue for someone doing just regular driving, the only thing the hitch would be used for is a platform bike rack. This is on a 2020 Hybrid LE.

Thanks
For our 2019 hybrid, I bought a Curt, shipped from a trailer place in Michigan. I paid a hitch mounter at U-Haul in our town to install it. It was cheaper in total than buying a hitch form U-Haul.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed the Eco hitch, I did trim the underside (not visible) but I can see how it could be installed with no trimming.
I preferred it because of how nice it tucks to the underside. Nicely made and durable finish on it. I’m very happy with it.
Adding 60 pounds to your car will have an effect on fuel mileage but I imagine it will be negligible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went with the Curt as it was reasonable price installed, but it sure looks low. As someone noted earlier, it might take the shock if bumped, before the tailpipes, so maybe it's better?

·
Registered
RAV4 XLE Hybrid
45 Posts
I had a 2” Toyota hitch installed at the dealer. My driveway has a moderate slope that levels at the bottom, and the hitch itself does not scrape with attached to it. However, the Kuat bike rack that I installed later does scrape at the bottom of the driveway unless I drive in and out very slowly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2021 XLE AWD and saw a YouTube video from a Toyota dealer that has me concerned.

I am planning to have a Curt hitch installed in a few weeks, but the video said that U-Haul installed hitches (Curt) can cause the Pre-collision system and other TSS 2.0 components to malfunction.

Can anyone here speak to this? And is this video wrong?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have the 2021 XLE AWD and saw a YouTube video from a Toyota dealer that has me concerned.

I am planning to have a Curt hitch installed in a few weeks, but the video said that U-Haul installed hitches (Curt) can cause the Pre-collision system and other TSS 2.0 components to malfunction.

Can anyone here speak to this? And is this video wrong?
No such problems while using my Eco Hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know the available trailer hitches have been discussed as well as the pros and cons. I have narrowed it down to the Curt or OEM, leaning more towards the Curt as I don't want to remove the bumper. Do you think the lost ground clearance would ever be an issue for someone doing just regular driving, the only thing the hitch would be used for is a platform bike rack. This is on a 2020 Hybrid LE.

Thanks
I have a Curt, purchases from Trailers (Direct?) and installed by U-Haul on our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. It's been great. We also usually just attach a bike rack, but also haul a 15' fishing boat for short distances. The rack also makes a great place to attach a rear tie-down from our canoe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Curt, purchases from Trailers (Direct?) and installed by U-Haul on our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. It's been great. We also usually just attach a bike rack, but also haul a 15' fishing boat for short distances. The rack also makes a great place to attach a rear tie-down from our canoe.
Purchased from E-trailer...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the eTrailer-brand hitch for my 2021 R4P w/PP. When I have my Saris EX2 2-bike rack attached to it the rear pre-collision system goes off and engages the brakes so I can't back up. I had to turn off the pre-collision system when the bike rack is installed.

Once I installed the hitch the foot-kick lift gate opener worked sporadically so I disabled it. It kept opening when I wasn't expecting it... installing the hitch, installing or removing the bike rack, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I contacted the dealer about installing an OEM hitch. The $1,305 quote was a turnoff, so I turned to U-Haul. $385 installed with wiring sounds like a deal, with no cutting of the bumper facia. But U-Haul said they are a couple months out on delivery of their hitches. They told me they'd install one if I supplied it. E-trailer is a good source as is Amazon. I chose e-trailer's house brand, $149 with free shipping and it will be here in a week. No cutting. Looks just like the Curt hitch. Most of the ads I read warn that the foot-activated rear hatch function may be compromised. No biggy in my mind as I get a little unstable every time I try it!!

So, I intend to pull a U-Haul 4x8 or 5x8 trailer a good distance to AZ from MT. It will not be heavily loaded and will keep speed under 70 mph. Anybody ever make a trailering trip like this?

Thanks,

Tom

21 - 32 of 32 Posts