Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope someone can clarify the trailer wiring requirements for a new rav4.

just bought a 2011 rav4 with the 6 cyl engine and the tow prep package.

how much wiring for a trailer comes with the suv?

is a trailer wire kit such as reese's t.one connector needed to complete the wiring?

anything else needed for the trailer wiring for this suv?

will appreciate any information that can be provided on this issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
How much wiring for a trailer comes with the suv?

is a trailer wire kit such as reese's t.one connector needed to complete the wiring?

anything else needed for the trailer wiring for this suv?
Short answer - virtually none. On my tow prepped model, after the fact, I did find a white wire by the fuse panel which connected to a trailer fuse slot.

Trailer "wiring" has three levels depending on the trailer.

For a small utility trailer all you need is lights - brake, signal, parking. The trailer connector is a four-flat type. Hitch makers supply plug & play kits that plug into the tail lights. Power for the brake light conversion module can be obtained from the 12V outlet below the left tail light or by running a wire up to the fuse panel.

A larger, heavier trailer with electric brakes requires an additional wire run forward to the brake controller which must also be added. Typically the trailer will have a 7-round connector, of which 5 pins are used.

A camper trailer may require a camper battery charge wire, the sixth pin in the 7-round, and a backup light wire, the seventh pin.

I have the 4-flat on mine and installed the 7-round with charge and brake controller wires on my brother-in-law's 2008 Base. Didn't bother with the backup lights.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
As on several threads here there are wiring kits available and as Dr. Dyno says there is virtually no wiring included in the towing prep package, so additional wiring is needed. The Toyota wiring package itself costs something like $125 and installing (labor cost not included with the package!) it involves routing the wire from an accessories connector behind the dash, under interior plastic side panels which must be removed, and to exterior via a factory hole in compartment which houses the left rear tail lamp - at least that's how the Toyota service department routed mine. There are generally less expensive aftermarket wiring kits available which route the wiring underneath the vehicle to the engine compartment, with a fused connection at the battery with some minor variations depending upon the kit. Exactly what is needed depends upon what one will be towing.

Welcome to the world of Toyota, where what should have been included in the towing prep package has not been! :mad:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
t
Thanks Guys,

You'll have provided the guidance I needed. Looks like the suv will need a trailer wiring kit. Might have more questions when I get around to installing it. This site seems like an excellant source for that type of information.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just wired my RAV with a 7 pin connector about 2 weeks ago. I plan to tow a travel trailer. I installed the OEM toyota wire harness that runs off a 30 amp fuse in the passenger side fuse panel, under the hood. This was, as posted previously, quite a job. I basically ripped out the plastic, front to back, on the driver side of the RAV. I also installed an auxiliary fuse panel and two extra 12 awg wires to run an electric brake line and to charge the battery on my soon-to-find trailer.

The job is not the most difficult thing I ever did. Patience and taking your time is essential, but its definitely doable. I would not even want to imagine what it would cost for the the dealer to put it all in. I now have nice brake controller up front and am confident in my RAV's towing ability.

I spent $383 on my OEM hitch and $105 on my OEM 4-pin wire harness. I would buy them again if I were to do it all over. I plan to keep my RAV for a long time and plan to tow quite a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2012 V6 Limited with tow package and hitch, but the wiring that was done is a 5 way flat connector for trailer lights and whatnot. I need to upgrade to a 7 way round connection for a small teardrop travel trailer with trailer brakes.
I guess my question is really two parts...
What wiring is required to go from my 5 way flat to a 7 way round, and can I keep the 5 way available for other trailers I tow? (I know the normal is a 4 way flat connection, which is why the 5 way is throwing me off a bit.)
And a brake controller is needed, so is that a separate wiring job up front under the dash?

Any help is appreciated thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2012 V6 Limited with tow package and hitch, but the wiring that was done is a 5 way flat connector for trailer lights and whatnot. I need to upgrade to a 7 way round connection for a small teardrop travel trailer with trailer brakes.
I guess my question is really two parts...
What wiring is required to go from my 5 way flat to a 7 way round, and can I keep the 5 way available for other trailers I tow? (I know the normal is a 4 way flat connection, which is why the 5 way is throwing me off a bit.)
And a brake controller is needed, so is that a separate wiring job up front under the dash?

Any help is appreciated thanks!
You need a universal brake controller and a 7 wire to 5 wire adapter. Since you already have the custom wire harness for 5 wire all you need to do is cut those wire and connect it the the 7 wire connector.
When you want to use a 5 wire connector from a different trailer just slap on the 5 wire adapter on.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I found a easier adapter is just use this 7 way wire connector with 4 or 5 wire connector without cutting your custom wires. Use your 5 wire and plug it in this 7 wire connector. The other wires from the brake controller goes into this. Then when you switch to a trailer with just 5 wire disconnect this connector and join the connector to the custom 5 wire connector.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Don't know if it's mentioned on any of the links but be sure to buy a proportional type brake controller not a timer type.
My favorite is the CURT 51140 Triflex. I actually had one fail last summer. One call to CURT got me a new one shipped FREE immediately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a easier adapter is just use this 7 way wire connector with 4 or 5 wire connector without cutting your custom wires. Use your 5 wire and plug it in this 7 wire connector. The other wires from the brake controller goes into this. Then when you switch to a trailer with just 5 wire disconnect this connector and join the connector to the custom 5 wire connector.

Wow thank you all so much. This is exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know if it's mentioned on any of the links but be sure to buy a proportional type brake controller not a timer type.
My favorite is the CURT 51140 Triflex. I actually had one fail last summer. One call to CURT got me a new one shipped FREE immediately.
Thank you!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts