Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been told every 10-15k, it's good to do a drain and fill on the Automatic tranny, just to keep things fairly fresh. My question is...

In theory, when you drain fluid out the bottom, does it not flow backward a bit through the filter?..Thus flushing out some of the particulate that might be in it as well?

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
First I'd multiply that interval by 9 or 10 to 100-150K and then change the filter at the same time.

Reactions: 05RAV

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
10-15k is extremely short. One could do it but it’s unnecessarily short. We have a number of members who will do a preventative drain/fill every 30,000 miles, and others who simply do a return line flush every 60,000 (that’s my vote). Obviously if towing or in daily heavy traffic one would go to the shorter side, but doing a drain/fill at 10-15 is wasted effort. With the 60,000 return flush, many members will drop the pan and clean/change the filter, as well as clean the pan and magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to do 15K ATF drain & fill changes on my Honda CRV, which worked out to once a year. I'm not a fan of pressurized flushing, which can cause more problems than it solves.

For ~ $20 a year, my tranny was still strong at 250K miles when I traded it in. Would that have been the case if I had only done it twice, or every 60K? Maybe. Was it overkill? Certainly. But in the ratio of things, so are 5K oil changes with modern lubricants and many people still do that. And I think Hondas use their own tranny design to get around patents, and I've heard they needed some TLC to go the distance, so I played it safe.

I'll probably do 30K ATF changes on my '18 Rav4 LE. That's still overly conservative, but I buy vehicles with the intention of driving them into the dirt, and this gives me piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I used to do 15K ATF drain & fill changes on my Honda CRV, which worked out to once a year. I'm not a fan of pressurized flushing, which can cause more problems than it solves.

For ~ $20 a year, my tranny was still strong at 250K miles when I traded it in. Would that have been the case if I had only done it twice, or every 60K? Maybe. Was it overkill? Certainly. But in the ratio of things, so are 5K oil changes with modern lubricants and many people still do that. And I think Hondas use their own tranny design to get around patents, and I've heard they needed some TLC to go the distance, so I played it safe.

I'll probably do 30K ATF changes on my '18 Rav4 LE. That's still overly conservative, but I buy vehicles with the intention of driving them into the dirt, and this gives me piece of mind.
I completely agree with you about the pressurized flushes - not a chance! But the return line flush using the transmission’s internal normal operating pressure shouldn’t cause any issues. Having worked in a Honda dealer garage and seen three transmission replacements per week, I’m very much in favour of an annual drain/fill for them.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Doing short intervals of 10-15k would be ok for towing but if you are not towing try 30-45k mile will do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, she does do a lot of venturing up in the mountains on dirty logging roads, camping, etc. I figure, with an older Rav4, better safe than sorry.

Again, my original question has to do with the potential back flow of fluid through the filter...???

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Well, she does do a lot of venturing up in the mountains on dirty logging roads, camping, etc. I figure, with an older Rav4, better safe than sorry.

Again, my original question has to do with the potential back flow of fluid through the filter...???
Sorry, we kinda went off course there.

You’re not likely to get much backflow in that case, nor is it likely to do any harm or benefit (neutrality is good!) do you drop the pan occasionally and clean the screen? That would be a consideration at least. Realistically the screen in the 4-speed doesn’t actually filter much at all though - the pores are too large. From what I’ve seen with my 4-speed most of the work is done by the magnets in the pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, we kinda went off course there.

You’re not likely to get much backflow in that case, nor is it likely to do any harm or benefit (neutrality is good!) do you drop the pan occasionally and clean the screen? That would be a consideration at least. Realistically the screen in the 4-speed doesn’t actually filter much at all though - the pores are too large. From what I’ve seen with my 4-speed most of the work is done by the magnets in the pan.

We just bought it. I took it to the mechanic and asked if he thinks we should change the filter and clean the magnets. He said the fluid looked pretty good, and the filter change was probably not needed, as it looked like it has been well taken care of. I figure I can do a drain and fill, take it back in another 15k when it hits 225,000mi and have him drop the pan and do the filter anyway. In the mean time, I will start doing the drain and fills with Redline full synthetic. I have no idea what they used prior.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We just bought it. I took it to the mechanic and asked if he thinks we should change the filter and clean the magnets. He said the fluid looked pretty good, and the filter change was probably not needed, as it looked like it has been well taken care of. I figure I can do a drain and fill, take it back in another 15k when it hits 225,000mi and have him drop the pan and do the filter anyway. In the mean time, I will start doing the drain and fills with Redline full synthetic. I have no idea what they used prior.
Likely a god chance they used either the Toyota T-IV fluid or Valvoline MaxLife Multi-vehicle. That one is pretty good too, and is one of the more affordable options on the market, with really good formulation and durability. And price…

Remember too that in the 4-speed, it really isn’t a filter - it’s simply a screen. Toyota doesn’t list it as needing replacement - when doing a pan drop change, one would simply spray back through it with a cleaning solution, and hope not to see any debris drop out. There is a media filter that Wix sells, so one could use that (I did.) I’ve saved my OEM screen and will install it shortly when I drop the pan again this summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts