Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 LE AWD and hearing a whine from the tranny between 45 and 55 mph, I read a bunch of posts about the tranny whine problem with the 4.3 generation Rav's and wonder if this could be the same issue. Currently have 500 miles on the vehicle and wonder if others might have the same issue ? I also own a 2015 LE AWD with 8,000 miles and no whine at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I noticed the whine through 1st, 2nd and 3rd when cold this morning, once the the vehicle is at running temp I get the whine between 45 and 50 mph. Also noticed while cruising at 65 mph I get the whine as I decelerate to 60 mph then stops once I maintain throttle ? This is my 4th Rav4 and never experienced this in any of them and I know my 2013 and 2015 have the same U760 Transaxle, I'm hoping it's a fluid level issue but of course you need to be a NASA engineer to check the fluid on these tranny's ( see video ) :O
Guess I'm heading back to dealer to investigate.
Checking U760 Transaxle fluid -

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking it to the dealer is actually a scary thought after watching the video on the actual process of checking the fluid level and been holding off. Something tells me they won't be spending the time that is needed to get the precise level correction and might even do more harm therefore I've been contemplating on waiting for it to get louder or go now ? I drove the wifes 2015 LE yesterday and was quiet as a mouse and my 2013 I traded never had this whine ? After reading around I do see others with the same issue and no catastrophe's yet, guess I will play it by ear.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Unless I am hearing incorrectly, that whine sounds like an 'electrical generated noise. In other words, something electronic in the RAV is picking up electrical interference from the engine. It goes up and down as the engine revs do.

Is it detremental? No, it's just annoying.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The noise seems to be engine-related, rather than having to do with the gearbox. Difficult to locate the origin from the driver's seat, but it could be the alternator. Suggest checking for the noise with the vehicle stopped in neutral and with the hood open to determine whether it is caused by the alternator or other belt-driven component.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ah yes...ALTERNATOR WHINE.

Thanks for that Blogson!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ah yes...ALTERNATOR WHINE.

Thanks for that Blogson!
I simply picked up on your post, listened to the video and sound more carefully than I would have done otherwise - result is a jointly arrived-at possible solution regarding the noise. :wink

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies ! I did consider the Alternator because it sure does sound electrical and threw her in neutral with a few slow rev's while driving and the whine was not present. I will take a closer look in the driveway with the hood up and see if I can recreate it without the tranny in gear ? I will listen in the water pump and serp belt area as well.
Agree more annoying than detrimental :O

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gave the new RAV a good all around listen this weekend and everything under the hood is fine, just your normal emission whistles and ticks at start up as they quickly diminish after warm up. I am positive it is the transaxle as I am getting the whine before 2nd and 3rd gear ( louder when cold ), and again in OD at 50mph and really loud while decelerating from 65mph to 60 mph ? My 2013 and 2015 do not have this whine at all as I took them out and listened really close to the transaxle behavior in those vehicles ( Same Engine and Tranny ). I will be taking it back to the dealer to leave overnight since the 2nd and 3rd whine is more pronounced when cold, I might be a bit obsessed with this now but I know something isn't right and hope I don't get the all sounds normal to me routine from them. I love the RAV's and the smooth quiet solid ride was the reason why there are 4 of them in my family, I hope I just have a bum transaxle which is unfortunate but I really hope this isn't normal to them and the way Toyota is building their vehicles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see a few similar issue over on the Camry forums ( Same 2AR-FE engine and U760 Transaxle ).

My Rav goes in tonight so they can take her out cold in the morning for a listen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from the dealer and they confirmed the transaxle whine which they said was excessive compared to what should be normal. To compare they test drove a brand new 2017 Rav 4 just off the truck and said the same noticeable whine was present on that model as well ?
At this time they don't know where to go with it and reported the noise to Toyota corporate to see if others are having the same issue, they are leaving it as an open ticket until they get instructions from TMC. I feel they really went above and beyond with this as I thought I would get the usual " We didn't hear a thing" from them and happy to see good quality customer care.
I just hope they come up with a solution because other than the fact the whine drives me nuts I also don't want to wind up stranded with a dead tranny.
They seem to think Toyota might have modified gear ratios or pump pressures to squeeze out a few more MPG's not realizing the noisy consequences ?
My suggestion is that if you are hearing this whine to get it checked and documented so you they can get a fix for this asap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been getting more response on the Camry forum with the same issue as it shares the same powertrain with the RAV 4 and surprised not as much here ? My dealer is meeting with a rep from TMC tomorrow and will be contacting me with an update about what they will do. Just thinking of a tranny replacement makes me sick after seeing a video on Youtube. The process involves dropping 80% of the front end to remove the supports as well as exhaust, then half the engine components and dropping the entire engine down 45 percent :O !!! 1400 miles on this vehicle and this type of work needs to be done already.....Nothing I can do about it since the Lemon laws are pretty straight forward here in NY, I hate this vehicle already and can't stand driving it as it whines like a city bus. I will keep posting about my progress but know I'm pretty screwed already, yeah hopefully Toyota will do the right thing and replace the transaxle but in my mind they should take vehicle back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts