Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the first transmission drain and refill on my 2012 v6 rav. It has 110 000 kms on it. It took around 3.5 litres. I plan on doing 3 of these. My question is how long do I wait to do the other 2 drain and fills? And should I change the filter on the last one?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You could do it after driving 10Km if you ask me. The ATF would have completely mixed by then.
3 drain-refills in total is enough.
You could change the filter; it will be the only one you will ever need.

Do yourself a favour and get the OEM Cork gasket, not the rubber ones from aftermarket kits; they tend to leak.
You could use an aftermarket filter if you wish

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I would do a drain and fill followed immediately by a flush using the return line. Then when you drive another 60,000 km you can do a regular drain and fill.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Our RAV jsut turn over 50K (miles). Man OP you drive a lot. I am getting excited about our first trans change, which I plan on doing at 60K.
I am only going to do one drain fill (with some aftermarket synthetic ATF, many threads on this already), and no filter. Then additional drain fills every 30K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just did a tran fluid drain and fill at 95K miles. The fluid was pretty black. I am thinking that there is another 1L that didn't drain out so the fluid in there isn't so red. I'll probably do another at 150K if I still have the car.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I just did a tran fluid drain and fill at 95K miles. The fluid was pretty black. I am thinking that there is another 1L that didn't drain out so the fluid in there isn't so red. I'll probably do another at 150K if I still have the car.
if you did a drain and fill, you have more like 60% of the old fluid in there... I just did my second drain and fill, and now it's starting to look red.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just thought that if there are better alternative. Y not use it? But seems like the consensus are OEM fluid for tranny and coolant. So, I don't know..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
A long time ago I was told to use only Honda transmission fluid in my Accord. I ignored this advice and used some excellent quality name brand non-Honda fluid. It seemed to work for a year or two but I ended up spending $1876 to have the transmission rebuilt. And it was never the same. Since then, it's always been OEM for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've always had manual transmission car. This is our first Auto tranny.
In the past I've used redline gear oil on my celica and matrix running the c60 tranny. There were other concoction of mixing gm synchromesh with redline for a smoother gear selection. Also ran that. All were good for years.

I've never look into auto tranny fluid before because there were no need. I supposed there are not enough user data to back the aftermarket atf?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Most owners are using Toyota WS on this forum. Check out the Tacoma forum and there are tons of information about aftermarket substitute for WS. It seems those owners demand more from their truck and are willing to take that risk.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Since I just do drain and refills on tranny and coolant fluids, I use the OEM stuff so it matches what remains in the system. It's just what I do.

Whatever floats your boat, don't lose any sleep over it. It might just last "forever" if you do nothing at all!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Whatever floats your boat, don't lose any sleep over it. It might just last "forever" if you do nothing at all!
believe me, nothing lasts forever!... I towed about 2000km with my rav4, and at 55,000km the oil was all black. that's not even 40,000 miles! I have the biggest transmission cooler I could fit, and I go easy on it when I tow, yet I still see transmission temps that are over 220F when towing, and 190F when not towing. These transmissions run very hot, and WS oil does not handle that very well for very long.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
believe me, nothing lasts forever!... I towed about 2000km with my rav4, and at 55,000km the oil was all black. that's not even 40,000 miles! I have the biggest transmission cooler I could fit, and I go easy on it when I tow, yet I still see transmission temps that are over 220F when towing, and 190F when not towing. These transmissions run very hot, and WS oil does not handle that very well for very long.
Correct, but the OP never mentioned towing, hence the OEM recommendations.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My 'forever' comment is a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but Toyota does go to all the trouble to mark the tranny dipstick saying "no need to change the ATF unless operating under severe conditions." The only severe condition they cite in my 09 owners manual is towing.

Dozens of threads on this find the whole spectrum of tranny service: those who never change the ATF, those who drain and refill, those who do complete flushes, those who research and favor another brand of fluid--and even those like you who add a tranny cooler--and for good reason.

I stand by my comment: Whatever floats your boat! My particular boat is drain and refill at 60k and 80k miles, and at 100k will drop the pan and change the screen. Unlike you, I am shooting a bit in the dark because I can't monitor the ATF temperature. But my overall service is less than 'severe,' the tranny functions fine, and like I said, I prefer not to mix oils.

To be fair Toyota lately has expanded the definition of 'severe service' to include multiple short trips, extreme cold as well as towing. But many 4.3 owners will never change the ATF cause their maintenance guide does not say so. Toyota took away the dang dipstick from the gen 4.4 entirely!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts