Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 RAV4 4CYL. Is there a filter available for this transmission or am i stuck with the screen that came from the factory?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
2012 RAV4 4CYL. Is there a filter available for this transmission or am i stuck with the screen that came from the factory?
If you read some where there is a screen it is not a mesh strainer type of screen but a replaceable filter. Toyota does sell the replaceable filter. At Rockauto they have transmission filters. Look at the picture and all the brands show the filter which is replaceable. I got the ATP which is well made and comes with filter, gasket, o-ring, and transmission drain bolt washer. A lot cheaper than the Toyota dealer parts where each part is sold separately. (does not come in a kit) The ATP fits perfectly with no problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is a reason why it's a stainless steel mesh screen, the trans in the V6 model is different from the I4
you may have a newer type trans than i have, you have maybe the U241E trans, check your driver door jam area, there is a sticker with all the codes/types. I would only use an aftermarket for a "maintenance-cleanup" or an in between drain and refills, maybe the last one(spill & fill) You can easily clean up your old one, just spray it with brake cleaner. Yes the aftermarkets are most likely compatible , long term i would only use what comes out of it. Also use only a true toyota gasket, there is a big difference. just search this forum, there was a trans-tech re-builder guy who posted valuable information why you should only use the original screen/mesh filter for the U24Xe and U140/U151 aisin built trans for toyotas. again the v6
models use a different media filter than our 4-cyl , so stick with the screen type. I have 250,000 mile on my vehicle, original trans, it has a "whine-sound" at low speeds but it shifts fine. Also i change the fluid 4x annually and the on the 3rd drain/fill i drop the tans pan and put the aftermarket filter for that "maintenance-cleanup". Also i use the AISIN ATF0WS for 200,000 miles now, i see now rockauto sells it for $ 5.91 qt. you better buy it soon, im sure at that price everybody on this channel will be buying it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
There is a reason why it's a stainless steel mesh screen, the trans in the V6 model is different from the I4 ...
I changed the filter on mine and I have a V6. I don't have a mesh screen. It looks like the aftermarket ones. Can you show pictures of one with a V6 with a mesh screen?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts