Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what could be causing trans fluid build up on top of transmission? Backstory: Brought 2007 4 cylinder to the dealer for 120,000 mile trans flush. I also asked to change the filter because after 120,000 I don't like just a flush. They put some crappy pan gasket and it started leaking so I brought it back and they put the Toyota gasket and it stopped leaking. I later noticed more trans fluid at the bottom while changing the oil cleaned that up but traced the leak back to the top of transmission. I have taken it back to the dealer twice for this issue and they say it's not coming from the overflow tube cause they took it off and went for a test drive and nothing came out. I have cleaned it spotless and check it regularly. I notice that it does not leak with everyday driving, but it leaks when I drive it hard. Example; thought I lost my wallet at work so I was racing back to find it before someone else might find it. I took off hard, tires squealing, double downshift getting on highway. I checked it when I got back home and the little puddle of trans fluid was on top of the transmission right under the starter and to the right of the starter. I know that getting on the transmission like that increases pressure in the transmission, but what could be leaking?:confused:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Anybody know what could be causing trans fluid build up on top of transmission? Backstory: Brought 2007 4 cylinder to the dealer for 120,000 mile trans flush. I also asked to change the filter because after 120,000 I don't like just a flush. They put some crappy pan gasket and it started leaking so I brought it back and they put the Toyota gasket and it stopped leaking. I later noticed more trans fluid at the bottom while changing the oil cleaned that up but traced the leak back to the top of transmission. I have taken it back to the dealer twice for this issue and they say it's not coming from the overflow tube cause they took it off and went for a test drive and nothing came out. I have cleaned it spotless and check it regularly. I notice that it does not leak with everyday driving, but it leaks when I drive it hard. Example; thought I lost my wallet at work so I was racing back to find it before someone else might find it. I took off hard, tires squealing, double downshift getting on highway. I checked it when I got back home and the little puddle of trans fluid was on top of the transmission right under the starter and to the right of the starter. I know that getting on the transmission like that increases pressure in the transmission, but what could be leaking?:confused:
I know it's a basic thing but......have you checked the trans fluid level?...using the correct procedure of course.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
In addition to post 2 from ravenuer I would check the hose where the transmission cooler line is connected to. They need to disconnect this hose to flush the transmission fluid and maybe the tube is not properly connected or is some how damaged. Also ensure there is no clamp missing on the hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do these transmissions have a breather on top? If so, the breather can get clogged and not allow for normal pressure change relief. More pressure builds in the transmission and eventually pukes out the top.

Just another thought....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does have a breather tube out of the top and the end of it was a little wet but no trans fluid directly under it. The dealer took off the hose and drove it aggressively to see if any fluid would come out it would go straight down where the spigot comes out of the tranny. No fluid came out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The leak is on top of the tranny and I didn't see any hose connections just 2 solenoids. I use to do transmission flush service for Penske automotive and we made our connection at the hoses at the radiator not on the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have checked it myself on level ground, warm, in neutral and park. It was slightly overfull but only by an 1/8 of an inch. The toyota mechanic said it would have to be severly overfull by 1 or 2 quarts to be spitting it out the overflow tube.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The leak is on top of the tranny and I didn't see any hose connections just 2 solenoids. I use to do transmission flush service for Penske automotive and we made our connection at the hoses at the radiator not on the transmission.
Ice169 have a look at this thread. It shows the transmission cooler line hose. Check if the return line is ok.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It sounds like the dealer overfilled the transmission when you had the original work done. The transmission will eject this excess fluid through the breather hose, especially after hard driving. If the transmission doesn't stop leaking or if you have a lot of bubbles/foam in the fluid, then something else might be going on it, but it sounds like it was overfilled by the dealer (something they would probably not admit).

For future maintenance, you can just drain-and-refill instead of flush. This method is less expensive, easier, and safer. Drain-and-refill greatly reduces the chances of either introducing a leak or overfilling.

Once you have determined that the fluid is at the correct level before your next drain, drain the fluid and measure its volume at room temperature. Then, you can just close the drain plug and refill with the same volume of room-temperature new fluid -- you don't have to open cooler hoses or anything like that. It is true that you won't replace all of the fluid by doing this, but if you just do it a couple of times (or more just often), you will adequately refresh the system and not have to worry about overfills.

According to this thread, the refill is about 3.7 quarts:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/79782-transmission-overfilled.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...transmission-fluid-drain-plug.html#post894539

Let us know if it stops leaking!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks demoder your explanation seems to be the most possible scenario. I just got it back from the dealer and spoke to the mechanic and he said maybe he spilled some trans fluid that he didn't notice. Well at least the dealership did not charge me. Thanks again and I will continue to keep an eye on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts