Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 automatic with 4WD. I am wanting to check the fluid level in the transfer case but a quick check did not find the fill plug. Of course the drain plug is easy to spot on the bottom of the transfer case. The Haynes manual did not show the location.

Is it on the front or the back?
On top?
or the side drivers/ passenger.

Any help in spotting this plug would be appreciated.

R

·
0 Posts
It's difficult to find (assuming this is in the same position as a '97). It's underneath the car, near the front right tire. The handle to the wire guage will likely be covered in crap that's been gathering over the years, so it's easy to miss. It is mounted horizontally (versus vertically for things such as your engine oil guage under your hood). Hope that helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I found it.

I was looking for a simple square or hex head type plug into the side of the center. I am glad you told me what I should really be looking for.

Thanks to your help I found the horizontally mounted dipstick/fill tube for the transfer case. It was located near the right passenger side tire about halfway between the rubber boot for the axle and the plastic boot for the steering. Definitely hard to spot even knowing what I was looking for.

I have never seen one like this before but it works I guess.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Glad you found it - strange place to put it -- and filling through there is very interesting. :lol:
Long funnel - very slowly!! Easier if you just take the tire off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually adding oil was easy

I just used about a foot and a half of tygon tubing stuck on to a quart size bottle with the standard conical tip. (I keep one of these smaller bottles to refill out of the gallon size jug beause they are so much easier to handle.)

I turned the wheel as far to the left as it would go. Then I just pulled the plug/dipstick and inserted the end of the tygon tube. Squeezed on the bottle and checked to see when it was full. It took less than 5 minutes total and I didn't spill a drop of gear oil.

A

·
0 Posts
I think there actually is a fill hole on top of the transfer box's valve body - but, putting it down the dipstick HAS to be easier

1 - 6 of 6 Posts