Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited 4WD with 95K. This gets driven about 10 miles to work, sits in a parking lot for 8 hours, and 10 miles home. The exterior is near perfect, and the interior is pretty clean.

I recently noticed some spots of oil/fluid in my driveway. It's coming from the driver side towards the front of the car. There's a noticeable burning smell, especially when the car is shutoff. There are no sounds or odd behavior.

Diagnosis was a leaking transfer case at/with the transaxle. The dealer quoted me about $1700 including the needed alignment. This is a lot of money to put into an older car. I've used the dealer for years, and have found them reliable and trustworthy.

The hours are 16.4 @ $88/hr + parts. They mentioned an FIPG, which I learn is a Formed-In-Place-Gasket.

This price sound ballpark right?

What's the urgency to fix this given my low daily mileage?

Is there a way for a layman to check the oil level, or inexpensive/easy way to add it?

Any general advice?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You may want to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion to ensure there is a no cracks in the propeller then the price will cost much more as in this thread.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
88$/hour is CHEAP. Easy to check the T-case oil level. Open up fill plug. Reach finger in the hole. If you feel oil, oil level is good. Top off till it spills out the hole . Can you see any drips. What color? 3 possilbe leaking fluids. ATF is red and very thin. Motor oil is going to be black/brown and thicker. T-case is gear oil. Thick and smells bad.

here is a t-case oil change write up
https://r56hs.com/2016/02/22/2011-rav4-v6-awd-transfer-case-fluid-change/

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
on my 2007, the propeller shaft was the culprit, they changed the transfert case twice under warranty, didn't fix the problem, I told them to check the propeller shaft to see if it was cracking, they laughed, when they opened the case a third time, they decided to change the whole transmission, since the propeller shaft what letting oil out because of wear... lol, at 4000$ a pop, I was happy to still be under warranty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts