1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have an 02 Auto Rav4 AWD. I changed the rear differential
oil already. Does anyone knows how to change the transfer case
oil? Pictures, or a link to some pictures would be nice.

Thanks a million
phil

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how to post pictures in here, but I posted
2 pictures under my album. One is from my owner's manual
and the other one is from a Chilton Toyota Rav4 Repair/Service manual. Click on the pictures and it'll be more clear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
On a 4.1 it is a slight hassle to refill, but draining is easy.

You'll find three drain plugs in the front. Oil, tranny, and transfer case/front diff. The refill on the t/c is sticking out towards my right front wheel. There is a dipstick with a head like the one on the trans fluid dipstick. I used a tranny fluid pump with a fitting and pumped it in until it started spilling. Easier to do on a lift for sure, but if you remove the right front tire, you can still get at it easy enough.

BTW, I used Amsoil Synth ATF.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I am planning on replacing my transfer case & diff oils soon too.

Are Amsoil and Mobil 1 two of the best Synthecs out there?

Walt :D

R

·
0 Posts
My 4.2's motor a 2005 - 2.4 liter appears to have a transfer case upon quick inspectioin. I could be wrong but the drain is near the exhaust as the pipe runs back underneath the motor and just before a large metal belly underneath the engine bay.

You will see the black (painted) oil pan and going back you will see a black cast iron assembly with heat fins. The transmission is of course all the silver metal you see everywhere else underneath.

But, this cast iron piece is in front of where the rear drive shaft shoots out from. Thus, I would think that's it. There is a lower silver drain bolt head facing the right front tire and an upper silver fill bolt head facing towards the rear of the vehicle.

If I'm right, it will be a pain in the assets to fill. They seem to design things that way so you would rather take it to the service center.

·
Registered
273 Posts
waltrav said:
I am planning on replacing my transfer case & diff oils soon too.

Are Amsoil and Mobil 1 two of the best Synthecs out there?

Walt :D
They are both very good. Amsoil is slightly better but it is more expensive and harder to find. The biggest benefit is that you can lengthen your drain intervals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts