Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for a 2004 RAV4 4WD Automatic

It's been discussed a lot in various threads but never found good pictures of the Transfer Case and Rear Differential drain and fill plug locations so I tried taking some today. Also took some of the Transmission drain and dipstick too.

Let me know if I got any of these wrong. Thanks.

Rear Differential - Drain plug (rear driver side wheel in background)

Rear Differential - Fill plug (rear driver side wheel in background)

Transfer Case (from below) -
Drain plug (gray vertical hex, lower and center)
Fill plug (rusty horizontal hex, lower and slightly left of center)

Transfer Case - Fill plug (from rear)

Transfer Case (from front passenger wheel) -
Drain plug (facing camera)
Fill plug (facing left, towards rear of car)

Transmission - Drain plug

Transmission - Dipstick

Transmission - Dipstick label

·
Registered
76 Posts
Resized and labeled the pictures.
Thanks guruboy. Have had difficulty locating these.

Now I need another clarification here regarding transfer case and rear differential oils as recommended. I only have GL4 SAE 140 as the closest gear oil to me. Can I use it instead of the recommended GL5 SAE 90? I just can't find the recommended ones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No that does not meet spec. If you can't find the recommended oil at a local store you should be able to order it online.
For my '02 w/manual trans I used Motul 300 Gear for the entire drivetrain- transmission, transfer case and rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No that does not meet spec. If you can't find the recommended oil at a local store you should be able to order it online.
For my '02 w/manual trans I used Motul 300 Gear for the entire drivetrain- transmission, transfer case and rear.
Thanks very much.
I'm going to intensify my search for the spec gear oil.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Please point out what 3rd drain plug you're looking at. The center differential only has two plugs in total.

If I knew what you were looking at I could tell you what it was. In my experience, the easiest way to get to the drain and fill plugs are to remove the mid-pipe flange bolts from underneath and access them that way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please point out what 3rd drain plug you're looking at. The center differential only has two plugs in total.

If I knew what you were looking at I could tell you what it was. In my experience, the easiest way to get to the drain and fill plugs are to remove the mid-pipe flange bolts from underneath and access them that way.

This is my previous transfer case which I had to replace unfortunately.
The number 3 looks like another plug. I have not been able to open it though. Sorry for the poor quality picture.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thanks for the information on how to easily access the drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

That is not a drain or fill plug. Notice the serviceable plugs have heads that can be accessed by hand tools. What you're pointing out is probably a carryover from the many models of Toyota vehicles this transfer case lived in. Perhaps even a manufacturing feature. I don't think this is the case, but you may be trying to indicate one of the many attachment points for the unit as well.

Rest assured, #1 and #2 are the two bolts on this case you need to concern yourself with (y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

That is not a drain or fill plug. Notice the serviceable plugs have heads that can be accessed by hand tools. What you're pointing out is probably a carryover from the many models of Toyota vehicles this transfer case lived in. Perhaps even a manufacturing feature. I don't think this is the case, but you may be trying to indicate one of the many attachment points for the unit as well.

Rest assured, #1 and #2 are the two bolts on this case you need to concern yourself with (y)
You're right. #3 doesn't look serviceable as the rest. Can't get any tool around it.
Thanks for the patience to educate me

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello, can I apply sealant to the mating surface between auto transaxle and transfer case to solve a leaking transfer case oil which is pooling around that very joint? I have already replaced the seal inside the case where it meets the transaxle but leaking continues.

Or is there any other seal requiring replacement to stop the leak. Your experiences and suggestions are welcome please.
Brown Fluid Gas Wood Water

Wood Artifact Cuisine Font Recipe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts