Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an oil leak between a transfer case and a gear box.

Is it possible to remove a transfer case without taking off the whole transaxle?

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
239 Posts
I don't know, and apparently nobody else knows either.

The repair manual for the 2006 2.4L and 3.5L models claims that the engine/transaxle assembly must be removed from the car before removing the transfer case. I can't see why this should be necessary after a quick look under the car, but I've never done it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, my mechanic was able to take off the transfer case alone. Propeller shaft, right axle, and exhaust - the only things he had to unbolt.
I've got RAV4 Australian BTW.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So, my mechanic was able to take off the transfer case alone. Propeller shaft, right axle, and exhaust - the only things he had to unbolt.
I've got RAV4 Australian BTW.
this is true, you can make your way by doing these.
-- disassemble driveshafts
-- drain that 75w90 oil
-- remove that rear engine mounting bracket
-- on the transfer assembly, there are about 6 nuts and 2 bolts

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My problems did not finish with this repair. When I brought the car back - about 50km - it was leaking again. Same spot. I called the mechanic and while talking to him realised that he overfilled the transfer case through the second bolt which is much higher than the fill plug. Drained about 400ml of excess oil!
As far as I could see the oil came from the same drain hole, not from the vent at the top.

Could overfilling have caused the leak? Does it mean that I have to repeat the procedure again?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My problems did not finish with this repair. When I brought the car back - about 50km - it was leaking again. Same spot. I called the mechanic and while talking to him realised that he overfilled the transfer case through the second bolt which is much higher than the fill plug. Drained about 400ml of excess oil!
As far as I could see the oil came from the same drain hole, not from the vent at the top.
Could overfilling have caused the leak? Does it mean that I have to repeat the procedure again?
Overfilling is usually never a good idea. Certainly could have been your most recent problem. I guess now that the level is correct, time will tell if it's been fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the seal replaced again. This time with the original toyota one. It was not overfilled this time. But the leak is still there. The mechanic swears that he did not see any cracks on the case and that the bearing is in a good shape. Vent hole is not blocked either. I am completely lost here...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
on my 2007 the problem was the propeller shaft was cracked and letting oil out.

they changed all the seal, didn't fix the problem, then I saw online about someone having the propeller shaft cracking, told them about it, they saw it right away...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is leaking through the left hand seal - where the transfer case is attached to the transaxle. The output - propeller - side of it is dry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the leak issue in my 2007 3.5 liter. The impeller shaft (I think that is what it is called) had a crack in it lengthwise. When turning it would act like a razor and shave the seal ever so slightly causing the leak. I was very fortunate that we have an awesome transmission shop here in town and I happen to know the owner from back when I had my Snap-On Tools franchise.

Ended up having to remove the trans-axle and replace the shaft along with the seal (I believe it was one piece with the housing as well). Cost was about $3000. Have not had an issue since.

If you look it up, you will see this is a bit common so buying a used part may not be the best solution as you just do not know when it may split.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like now the transaxle seal is leaking as well - drops are brownish, does not look like fresh gear oil.
Time to change the mechanic i guess...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems like now the transaxle seal is leaking as well - drops are brownish, does not look like fresh gear oil.
Time to change the mechanic i guess...
Cut you loses and go straight to a reputable Transmission shop. Yes they are expensive but will be cheaper in the long run as they will (should) do the job right the first time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts