Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed one of this. I have a 4 cyl Limited 4WD and I will be towing some things. I want to get one of this from etrailer but don't know how difficult it will be the install and if I will void my warranty by doing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Been thinking about it myself, I may just have a shop do it, can't be all that expensive.... not sure how much I actually intend to use my rav for towing, but well be looking a towing around 3K if we do. I don't think the installs are too hard, I can't imagine a dealership trying to claim it's bad for a tranny, well I can, but never seen any bad side effects.

Wouldn't hurt to ask you service department.

And if you do install one I'd be really interest in knowing how it went and such.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am going to add one in the spring. Just towing my small boat.

The infrared image I took was just to show the return line/inlet to the transmission. It was 30"F outside and the factory "cooler" was heating the trans fluid and then returning it to the transmission.

the cooler and fan that I am adding also comes with a 180'F temp sensor to activate the fan.

Then turns off at 165'F

Even if the fluid never gets over 180'F I'd guess the transmission would benefit from the added fluid capacity alone.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I am going to add one in the spring. Just towing my small boat.

The infrared image I took was just to show the return line/inlet to the transmission. It was 30"F outside and the factory "cooler" was heating the trans fluid and then returning it to the transmission.

the cooler and fan that I am adding also comes with a 180'F temp sensor to activate the fan.

Then turns off at 165'F

Even if the fluid never gets over 180'F I'd guess the transmission would benefit from the added fluid capacity alone.
That Derale is a thick cooler with the fan. I doubt the RAV4 have space to fit that. The space in front of the grill only has 1 inch of space. Where do you plan to install that cooler/fan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great question.

That's why there is a fan.. I dont need to place it in direct airflow.. or vertical.

I can place it anywhere I want or anywhere ot fits.

And the air flow will be provided by the fan, only when the transmission fluid temp is above 180'F or when I turn it on with a switch.

To be honest, after doing some research I thought better than placing it always in direct air flow. When it gets around zero here in Indiana, I'd prefer it not be getting alot of air flow.

I plan on mounting it in front of the transmission. Under the battery tray mostly.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Great question.

That's why there is a fan.. I dont need to place it in direct airflow.. or vertical.

I can place it anywhere I want or anywhere ot fits.

And the air flow will be provided by the fan, only when the transmission fluid temp is above 180'F or when I turn it on with a switch.

To be honest, after doing some research I thought better than placing it always in direct air flow. When it gets around zero here in Indiana, I'd prefer it not be getting alot of air flow.

I plan on mounting it in front of the transmission. Under the battery tray mostly.
I have not heard of anyone being able to install one with a fan. There is not much room anywhere that can fit something that thick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will post pictures when it's done. I will find room. Likely wont get to it until the spring though.

I've worked at Lexus for 10 years, and Toyota for 2.

Now I installed adaptive equipment in wheelchair Vans. Hand controls, transfer seats etc.

We install dual batteries in Van's where you wouldn't think a second full size automotive battery would fit. We make custom battery trays, cables. Install the isolators and circuit protection.

Here is a picture of an overhand rail that I've added for a person that needs it to transfer from a wheelchair into a seat. (Becuase they cant use a transfer board)

Also a link to my youtube where I've taken a small outboard motor and fit a lawnmower engine on it.

I will find room for a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is roughly the location I plan on mounting it. Very close to the "puck".

Going to modify the battery tray and move the battery back a couple inches.

Haven't decided if I am going to be up high where it is now, or lower near the cradle in front of the transmission.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
That location has excessive heat from the engine. I know you have a fan but it will have to work very hard and may not cool as well. You may consider down on the driver side behind the bumper. The air cleaner baffle is down there. You can just remove the baffle and would have more room. This location is away from the engine and would offer better cooling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks that's the other spot I was considering.

I dont want it in a high airflow position becuase of the near zero cold temps here in the winter.

The engine bay heat is only excessive near the exhaust. I mean, the puck is heating the fluid when cold to engine coolant temp of 180'F.

The spot next to the battery wont be anywhere near 180'F.

And the fan will only turn on if the fluid temp gets higher than 180'F.

I'd suspect the added fluid capacity alone will cool the return line fluid enough and the fan will likely never kick on.

Also, it's just for the few weekends a year that I tow my boat or small utility trailer.

Rather be cautious than get the fluid too hot from towing the few times that I will tow with it.

Spring is still a months away, so I'm at the planning stage. I'd like it to be as close to the transmission as possible.

Otherwise there is also a spot under the passenger seat area (drivers under area has fuel tank and charcoal canister)

I dont mind moving the battery back and making it fit where I have it.

But putting it in the drivers front fender would look better becuase its hidden.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Having the cooler in the cold air will be fine. Auto's make plenty of heat. I can feel heat in my fluid as soon as the car starts, that fluid warms up pretty quick. I have a 20,000+ btu cooler (no fan, just mounted in front of radiator) with a built in bypass and the trans temps are around 140* F. I plow snow and pull trailers. It stays cool. It was -50F here last year with no problems. It warms up in a few minutes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got my cooler at a pull-it parts yard along with 2 others for $5 each in like new condition. Look on dodge trucks/suvs.

My temps were 212+ F before the cooler because the transmission can never be cooler than the engine coolant until you install a cooler. Idle temps were 212, and I'm sure temps at cruise, plowing, and towing were much higher.

Just hook in after the factory cooler. That will help your warm up times and will keep things warm during lockup cruise in cold temps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 20,000+ btu cooler (no fan, just mounted in front of radiator) with a built in bypass
I got my cooler at a pull-it parts yard along with 2 others for $5 each in like new condition. Look on dodge trucks/suvs.
Sorry, to jump in, I am also interested in an aux cooler (maybe because I had it on my Ford Explorer with factory tow package). Do you know what model is your cooler with the internal bypass? Was it factory on a certain car?
This is just the thermal by-pass (can be used with any coolers): Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Long brand Transmission Cooler External Thermal Bypass 708-4739P6: Automotive

Another issue that I see is the pressure drop on the cooler. It might affect the transmission pump and internals?
In this respect, I almost want a "tube and fins" cooler design versus a "plate and fins".
Like Hayden Automotive 402, 403, 514.

LE: I found out that Hayden Automotive has cooler with internal thermostatic by-pass: 696, 697, 698

·
Registered
342 Posts
No idea if it was factory on anything. I walked around the u-pull lot until I found what I wanted. I think it was made by Long. I pulled 3 coolers, two with bypass and one without. 20,000 and 30,000 btu if I remember right. Any cooler is better than none. Just get a big one and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't get those. They are plate/fin, like a radiator. They are not very efficient and they will get clogged damaged in short order.
You want a stacked plate cooler. B&M make good ones or you can get a tru-cool. They will be rated for 20,000 lbs +. Last time I checked my temps were at 140.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, to jump in, I am also interested in an aux cooler (maybe because I had it on my Ford Explorer with factory tow package). Do you know what model is your cooler with the internal bypass? Was it factory on a certain car?
This is just the thermal by-pass (can be used with any coolers): Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Long brand Transmission Cooler External Thermal Bypass 708-4739P6: Automotive

Another issue that I see is the pressure drop on the cooler. It might affect the transmission pump and internals?
In this respect, I almost want a "tube and fins" cooler design versus a "plate and fins".
Like Hayden Automotive 402, 403, 514.

LE: I found out that Hayden Automotive has cooler with internal thermostatic by-pass: 696, 697, 698

Pressure drop is less in stacked plate

1 - 20 of 35 Posts