Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster here.

I recently purchased a 1997 4door with 4wd and 5-speed manual at roughly 120,000 miles. I've just discovered leaks at multiple fittings along the transmission cooler lines. I've got a few questions about that:

The fluid has a sort-of swampy green look to it. Is that normal?

I think I'd like to just replace the lines altogether for peace of mind. Any leads on where to find those parts? Is there anything I should know before getting into this repair?

When I get this fixed, is it recommended to just change the trans oil or to perform a complete flush?

My Haynes manual doesn't give me much information to go on here, so any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The transmission uses 75W90 GL-5 Gear-oil.
Be sure you can remove the fill plug before draining the transmission and you should also drain the transfer-case. They both use the same fill plug.
Just drain and fill is fine unless you have an unusual problem.

The hoses are available from Toyota still, with tax I paid $267 USD for my two, and installation is extra.
Here is a post on this site on building you own hoses. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/245377-making-your-own-manual-transaxle-cooling-hoses.html#post2261433

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Anyone know if you can just delete this cooler? It seems to serve no purpose on a 4.1 5 speed and mine is leaking from both lines.
As I said on another thread I wouldn't risk it, you are talking about removing a cooling system from a vehicle that is 20 years old, the prognosis would not be good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
While I admit that an oil cooler is unusual on a manual transmission .... I wouldn't be bypassing it ...unless it really was beyond any kind of repair. And by that, i mean hoses, fittings, cooler itself ....all of it would need to be completely shot with no chance of fixing it at reasonable cost.

Perhaps it is possible to bypass it temporarily whilst you get hold of replacement parts? Maybe if you have 1 good hose you could try bypassing with that until you source the new stuff? ...dunno if the fittings will allow it .... dont know if its ever been done.

·
Registered
881 Posts
While I admit that an oil cooler is unusual on a manual transmission .... I wouldn't be bypassing it ...unless it really was beyond any kind of repair. And by that, i mean hoses, fittings, cooler itself ....all of it would need to be completely shot with no chance of fixing it at reasonable cost.

Perhaps it is possible to bypass it temporarily whilst you get hold of replacement parts? Maybe if you have 1 good hose you could try bypassing with that until you source the new stuff? ...dunno if the fittings will allow it .... dont know if its ever been done.

The fittings broke off the cooler when I tried to remove the hoses and I doubt it was even flowing because there had to be an awful lot of head pressure to pump 5L of cold gear oil out though the pin holes in the fitting in the 15 minutes it was sitting in the garage. The cooler is little more than a length of hard line anyway. And my Rav4 is long past being road worthy, it's just for around the yard and plowing the driveway now. It just sucks I put $100 worth of synthetic in it just a few weeks ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts