Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I have a rav2013 since march 2013 and since the last months, sometime, when I switch from PARK to REVERSE I hear a "dong" when the transmission engage the reverse.

Of course on my last oil change I tell my dealer and, of course, he says it was normal, that the transmission work and blablabla. I answered this guy "well, my transmission doest seem to work all the time because I doesnt ear that sound every time.." and he was not able to answer anything else then "well we will check that" and they didnt found anything..

This week I was driving windows open without any radio and when I switched from speed 3 to speed 2 (sometime when I have time and there's a red light incoming I compress instead of braking) when the transmission engaged the speed2 it make the same sound again.

Anyway, I'm getting another oil change in about 1-2 weeks and I will of course make them check it once again and insist about it.

Anyone else here got the same issue ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Let's start with a question. Do you use your parking / hand brake?

If not, that could be part of the problem. When the car is parked with only PARK engaged and no parking brake, it puts a lot of load on the transmission. When you switch from PARK to REVERSE (or NEUTRAL or DRIVE), this releases the load and make the engine / transmission "jump" on the (flexible) engine/transmission supports. It is particularly noticeable in the RAV, more than any other vehicle I have owned. The more inclined the parking place, the more pronounced the "bang". You may not hear it at all if the parking place is perfectly flat, but if the car is parked on an incline it can get very loud.

Solution? Always engage FIRMLY the parking / hand brake BEFORE switching to PARK and releasing the brake pedal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's start with a question. Do you use your parking / hand brake?

If not, that could be part of the problem. When the car is parked with only PARK engaged and no parking brake, it puts a lot of load on the transmission. When you switch from PARK to REVERSE (or NEUTRAL or DRIVE), this releases the load and make the engine / transmission "jump" on the (flexible) engine/transmission supports. It is particularly noticeable in the RAV, more than any other vehicle I have owned. The more inclined the parking place, the more pronounced the "bang". You may not hear it at all if the parking place is perfectly flat, but if the car is parked on an incline it can get very loud.

Solution? Always engage FIRMLY the parking / hand brake BEFORE switching to PARK and releasing the brake pedal.
Yes, I use the hand brake every time,

When I park my rav4 somewhere I:
-press the brake pedal
-Put the transmission on Neutral
-hand brake
-Release the brake
-Press the brake again
-Put the transmission on Park
-Release the brake pedal

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes, I use the hand brake every time,

When I park my rav4 somewhere I:
-press the brake pedal
-Put the transmission on Neutral
-hand brake
-Release the brake
-Press the brake again
-Put the transmission on Park
-Release the brake pedal
So you're doing it right. The first thing I would check is if one of the engine / transmission supports is damaged / broken. Not a frequent problem but it does happen. I would also inspect the exhaust for any loose parts / supports. Both should be fairly easy to diagnose for the dealer.

If the engine supports and the exhaust are fine, than the only next thing would be transmission itself, and unfortunately the only way to find out is to remove and disassemble it. This should be covered by the drivetrain warranty, but you need to "convince" the dealer that there is a real problem. You may also try to contact Toyota directly to open a documented "case" for future reference / follow-up if the problem gets worse with time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey just a quick update, they finally hear the sound at the my dealer. Yesterday I leave them my rav4 for a 8 hours job to change something in the transmission. They guy said something about a service bulletin but I don't know the number of this bulletin.

Something weird to me, they order 2 differents pieces because they need to open the transmission, take the model number to which one take. How with my serial number they cannot know EVERYTHING about my vehicule ?

Anyway, they are supose to call me when my vehicule is ready. I will try to get the service bulletin number or more information.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Hey I'm having the same sound from my 2015 Rav4, was the dealer able to repair?
Note that the last activity on the forum by killmore was in October 2015 so we never heard the final outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everybody;
Hereafter reading this chat, I guess that RAV4 transmission have low fluid level, apparently when the car in unleveled position, and you are trying to get reverse you will hear the dong in gear, so probably the fluid level to be checked !

Thank you
Ramez

1 - 10 of 10 Posts