Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When I am going downhill, I usually like to apply engine braking. So I downshift to 4, 3 or 2.
My question is, for example, if I downshift to 3, does it mean you are telling the car to not to go above 3 or you are putting the transmission exactly in 3?

For example, I have the transmission in 3 and climbing a steep hill. Does the car switch to 2 or 1?

Thanks

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Hi,
When I am going downhill, I usually like to apply engine braking. So I downshift to 4, 3 or 2.
My question is, for example, if I downshift to 3, does it mean you are telling the car to not to go above 3 or you are putting the transmission exactly in 3?

For example, I have the transmission in 3 and climbing a steep hill. Does the car switch to 2 or 1?

Thanks
Yes, when you shift to 3 you've effectively got a 3-speed transmission. It will shift to 2 or 1 as needed.

It's not a good idea to use an automatic transmission for downshifting. Just removing your foot from the accelerator should allow engine braking, unless it's a very steep hill. In that case, you should already be in 3. Remember, brake pads are a lot cheaper than a new transmission.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Yes, when you shift to 3 you've effectively got a 3-speed transmission. It will shift to 2 or 1 as needed.

It's not a good idea to use an automatic transmission for downshifting. Just removing your foot from the accelerator should allow engine braking, unless it's a very steep hill. In that case, you should already be in 3. Remember, brake pads are a lot cheaper than a new transmission.
LOL, Agree with you on this, but then I noticed the OP lives in San Francisco.:smile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts