Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just bought a RAV4 Hybrid this past weekend. I tried searching the forum but have been unsuccessful. Does a DIY write up exist on how to change the transmission fluid (both front and rear) on the Hybrid? I know Toyota doesn't recommend a change until 100k.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
How many miles on this RAV4?
Since the Hybrid is from 2016, that's way too early if you have anything less than 50K miles.

Did you want to change the transfer case and rear differential lube instead? There is no "rear transmission".

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Here's a video on the Camry Hybrid ECVT fluid change which is the same or similar to the Rav4 Hybrid I believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
274 miles as of this morning. I know it is too early, but since it is a newer model it is worth putting the request out there in case anyone undertakes this fluid change and thinks to take pics. Whatever you want to call the rear is fine with me. The manual calls it a transaxle and it takes Toyota ATF WS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per the manual it has a front and rear transaxle requiring 4.0qts of Toyota ATF WS in front and 1.9qts in the rear. The generic maintenance manual states to service at 60k if towing, carrying heavy loads, etc..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
They're all sealed units. Changing fluids is not without risk, (introducing contaminates, leaks, etc), so doing it when its not recommended may not be the "safe" thing that some people think it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're all sealed units. Changing fluids is not without risk, (introducing contaminates, leaks, etc), so doing it when its not recommended may not be the "safe" thing that some people think it is.
Very valid point and a good reminder for those not comfortable performing these types of services.

At the same time, it's possible to carry out a successful service at home with the right knowledge and tools.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Old thread but it seems fitting here. Coming up on 30k miles on our 2016 RAV4 HV and when I made the appointment with our dealer they gave a huge laundry list of things that aren't on the maintenance guide for 30k miles. They want to drain+refill the transmission fluid (front and rear transaxle), drain+refill rear differential fluid (I'm assuming they meant rear transaxle?), drain+refill the transfer case fluid (which the HV doesn't even have) all totaling up to $400 and a 3hr job. I did call them out on the transfer case that doesn't exist on the HV (third time mentioning to them it was the HV and not gas) and they said it'd just knock it down from $400 to $350 then.

I wanted to call them out on the phone about the ATF fluid change but I couldn't actually find in the maintenance schedule when the ATF should be changed other than on page 45 at 60k miles and on page 53 at 120k miles as Duckhunter pointed out above but only when "Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading" which we don't do any of that and is really just a commuter for my wife for 20 miles to and from work at highway speeds (70MPH) both ways. All that said, I couldn't for the life of me find in the "normal" schedule when the ATF should be changed. I've heard 100k miles and assumed that was true but I'm just not seeing it. I see the engine/inverter coolant at 100k but not ATF.

Get the feeling I'm being driven to spend more than I really need to and want to just do what the maintenance guide says for maintenance...Thoughts? Run to another dealer (next closest dealer from the one just down the street is 90 miles away)?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Get the feeling I'm being driven to spend more than I really need to and want to just do what the maintenance guide says for maintenance...Thoughts? Run to another dealer (next closest dealer from the one just down the street is 90 miles away)?
At 30K there's nothing to do but an oil change, air filters and inspection. Buy your own filters if you wish. Just say no to the stealership on the laundry list of rip-offs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
At 30K there's nothing to do but an oil change, air filters and inspection. Buy your own filters if you wish. Just say no to the stealership on the laundry list of rip-offs.
That was my thought as well. I had actually changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter in October at 24k miles as we did drive about an hour into BLM land for the total solar eclipse and it was mighty dusty along the path we took (not rigorous off-roading, just dusty gravel roads) but don't think it should affect the ATF, certainly not enough to change it at half the interval of a towing vehicle. I'll call them tomorrow and get it changed to what's in the maintenance guide sans air filters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Updated my appointment to leave out the transaxle work. They said in the Toyota Service Manual it recommends transmission and differential fluid drain+refill every 30k miles in areas where there's extreme temperature fluctuations. We do get cold here but not sure I'd classify it as extreme enough to do that every 30k miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The person you were talking to proved that they were not following the maintenance schedule to your vehicle. That when you need to tell them this is what the Owners Manual says and being your a dealer to my vehicle, you should be professional enough to go by it, except if you have valid reason recommend a service sooner.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Updated my appointment to leave out the transaxle work. They said in the Toyota Service Manual it recommends transmission and differential fluid drain+refill every 30k miles in areas where there's extreme temperature fluctuations. .
This has nothing to do with the HV models. So either your dealer is too stupid to know that, or they think you are too stupid and want to fleece you. Either way you need to stop paying any attention to what they say about anything.
Make an appt for the oil change and 30K inspection (which should be included).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Stick to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. The dealer is trying to sell you services you don't need. Better still, save money by having basic service (oil, brakes, filters etc) done by an independent garage.

Dealers don't make much money on selling you a new car, they need to get as much as they can from you at the service department.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This has nothing to do with the HV models. So either your dealer is too stupid to know that, or they think you are too stupid and want to fleece you. Either way you need to stop paying any attention to what they say about anything.
Make an appt for the oil change and 30K inspection (which should be included).
I have noticed that already. They come up with a one size maintenance plan which has you changing stuff earlier. And its laughable that they said, that it includes changing your transfer case fluid. My local dealers used to do that stuff, but it appears they may have backed off from that practice. Probably got enough of push back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Found this thread while doing a search for CVT fluid change for Rav4 Hybrid.

I have a 2018 Rav4 Hybrid and definitely want to change the transmission fluid at some point. I had a bad experience with my old car and not changing the fluid eventually leading the transmission to burn up ($ 2500 rebuild).

I was wondering if there is any info from dealers or people how often this has to be done? I'm thinking every 80,000 km (50 k miles) to do a drain and fill. I have watched some youtube videos but it doesn't specify which model year the work is being done on (only found Camry videos).

I'm only at 25,000 km so it will be a while, but I like to be proactive in these things.

Also can someone clarify if there are differential fluids in this car? I was under the impression that the rear just has electric motors and no fluid? The front is just tranny fluid?

Thanks,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Found this thread while doing a search for CVT fluid change for Rav4 Hybrid.

I have a 2018 Rav4 Hybrid and definitely want to change the transmission fluid at some point. I had a bad experience with my old car and not changing the fluid eventually leading the transmission to burn up ($ 2500 rebuild).

I was wondering if there is any info from dealers or people how often this has to be done? I'm thinking every 80,000 km (50 k miles) to do a drain and fill. I have watched some youtube videos but it doesn't specify which model year the work is being done on (only found Camry videos).

I'm only at 25,000 km so it will be a while, but I like to be proactive in these things.

Also can someone clarify if there are differential fluids in this car? I was under the impression that the rear just has electric motors and no fluid? The front is just tranny fluid?

Thanks,
Found this video about the rear.
. There is fluid in the Q211 axle, but it is just Toyota WS. I couldn't find anything about the RAV4 tranny fluid, but did see that the Prius use Toyota WS as well. Really nice that you don't have source no real special fluids for the hybrid vehicles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So does anyone know when the first CVT fluid should happen for the Hybrid model ?
Per Toyota's service schedule, for severe duty, 60,000 miles. For normal duty, never. But there schedules stop at 120,000 miles. For my opinion, fluids don't last forever, so take your pick when you think it should be replaced. I would try to check the fluid at least every 30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts